With the fresh news of the election of Pierluigi Campana as spokesperson of the LHCb experiment, the Italian participation to the LHC experiments at the CERN laboratories is close to a grand slam: three of the four experiments along the ring are led by Italian physicists. Campana joins Guido Tonelli (CMS), Fabiola Gianotti (ATLAS), and Jurgen Schukraft (ALICE).
Italians have consistently led CERN experiments, so the election of Campana is no surprise to most of us: still, it speaks volumes about the professionality of Italians in high-energy physics and the recognition that they are given by their colleagues abroad.
One cannot help adding a sad note to this merry piece of news: the Italian Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN), which funds the Italian participation to the CERN experiments, continues to withstand increasing budget cuts by the government. Even more dramatic is the manouver undertaken this year by Berlusconi's finance minister Giulio Tremonti, who drove the hardest blow to the functioning of the INFN administration through a senseless reduction of allowances for missions abroad.
Italian researchers who wish to continue working for the CERN experiments, maintaining and operating the hardware they have built, leading analysis groups and performing other critical management activities, or simply participating in the analysis activities of the experiments, must now do so basically using money coming out of their pockets.
In any case, congratulations to Pierluigi Campana and my best wishes for a success of the LHCb physics program!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sam Ting On AMS Results: Dark Matter Might Be One Seminar Away
- BICEP2's vision wasn't that strong, Planck says their window was too dusty.
- Why Natural Gas, Including Fracking, Is Better For The Environment Than Wind And Solar
- Quantum Teleportation 25 Kilometers Away
- Graphene Sensor Tracks Down Cancer Biomarkers
- Vitriolic Abuse Of Anita Sarkeesian: Why The Games Industry Needs Her
- 30 Years Left To Reach The Limit: CO2 Emissions Will Reach New Record High In 2014
- "I have been a target of a similar attack for standing up for the academic freedom of other scientist..."
- "True, but isn't it very likely that there are particles out there we know absolutely nothing about..."
- "What is sexism? Treating Anita Sarkeesian differently than Jack Thompson, solely because she's..."
- "I agree with John: Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey, Season 1, Episode 13, Dark Matter/Dark Energy Mysteries..."
- "Okay good point. Not suggesting we do this imminently, if we do it at all.Yes, agree, many potential..."