With the fresh news of the election of Pierluigi Campana as spokesperson of the LHCb experiment, the Italian participation to the LHC experiments at the CERN laboratories is close to a grand slam: three of the four experiments along the ring are led by Italian physicists. Campana joins Guido Tonelli (CMS), Fabiola Gianotti (ATLAS), and Jurgen Schukraft (ALICE).
Italians have consistently led CERN experiments, so the election of Campana is no surprise to most of us: still, it speaks volumes about the professionality of Italians in high-energy physics and the recognition that they are given by their colleagues abroad.
One cannot help adding a sad note to this merry piece of news: the Italian Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN), which funds the Italian participation to the CERN experiments, continues to withstand increasing budget cuts by the government. Even more dramatic is the manouver undertaken this year by Berlusconi's finance minister Giulio Tremonti, who drove the hardest blow to the functioning of the INFN administration through a senseless reduction of allowances for missions abroad.
Italian researchers who wish to continue working for the CERN experiments, maintaining and operating the hardware they have built, leading analysis groups and performing other critical management activities, or simply participating in the analysis activities of the experiments, must now do so basically using money coming out of their pockets.
In any case, congratulations to Pierluigi Campana and my best wishes for a success of the LHCb physics program!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Screen For Celiac Disease In High-Rsk Groups Such As Diabetics, Anemics And Down's Syndrome
- When People Aren't So Judgey, Women's Sex Drive Rivals Men's
- A 'New World' In A Grain Of Sand - Most Abundant Silicon Oxide In The Universe Now At Room Temperature
- Turmeric Spice Potential For Oral Cancer - Curcumin Quiets HPV
- Autonomous Self-Powered Liquid Metal Vehicles: Cue Rise Of The Machines Music
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Breakthrough In Treatment For HER2+ Breast Cancer
- "One can't look at this in a vacuum. Our reproductive behavior has deep and old roots as mammals..."
- "As different species of fish and other marine life start moving into new areas, I wonder how long..."
- "Most Christians do not believe in Young Earth Creationism. It has been given way too much..."
- "Joe- I would have a much easier time responding to you had you written in English, but I'll do..."
- "Interesting. If he were simply anti-GMO, he could plausibly be a doctor still. Medicine, as a profession..."
- Switching on one-shot learning in the brain
- Gene mapping reveals soy's dynamic, differing roles in breast cancer
- Convergent evolution: Diverse sea creatures reach same swimming solution
- Engineering a better future for the Mississippi Delta
- Cardiothoracic physicians-in-training don't provide suboptimal care