With the fresh news of the election of Pierluigi Campana as spokesperson of the LHCb experiment, the Italian participation to the LHC experiments at the CERN laboratories is close to a grand slam: three of the four experiments along the ring are led by Italian physicists. Campana joins Guido Tonelli (CMS), Fabiola Gianotti (ATLAS), and Jurgen Schukraft (ALICE).
Italians have consistently led CERN experiments, so the election of Campana is no surprise to most of us: still, it speaks volumes about the professionality of Italians in high-energy physics and the recognition that they are given by their colleagues abroad.
One cannot help adding a sad note to this merry piece of news: the Italian Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN), which funds the Italian participation to the CERN experiments, continues to withstand increasing budget cuts by the government. Even more dramatic is the manouver undertaken this year by Berlusconi's finance minister Giulio Tremonti, who drove the hardest blow to the functioning of the INFN administration through a senseless reduction of allowances for missions abroad.
Italian researchers who wish to continue working for the CERN experiments, maintaining and operating the hardware they have built, leading analysis groups and performing other critical management activities, or simply participating in the analysis activities of the experiments, must now do so basically using money coming out of their pockets.
In any case, congratulations to Pierluigi Campana and my best wishes for a success of the LHCb physics program!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Pseudoscience Creeping Into Your Conference? A Case In GMOs And Glyphosate
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Beyond Diamonds And Gems: The World's Rarest Minerals
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- Using Stories To Teach Human Values To Robots
- "That reminds me of the chemiosmotic war that followed Peter Mitchell's publication of his theory..."
- "The American Physical Society (APS) has allowed physics crackpots to attend conferences for years..."
- "A further comment on the meaning of Poincaré's prediction about gravitational waves : the classical..."
- "Dear Tomasso I have a simple question: What is the probability of a chirped wave train of 20ms..."
- "Ciao Giulio - I work on the LIGO and Virgo instruments, I can try to explain. The arms in LIGO..."
- Beard Microbiology: Grubby Hipsters May Be On To Something
- Water Tops the List of Health Concerns for Competitive Eaters
- Natural Flavors Are More Radioactive Than Artificial Ones.
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- BRCA Tests Increasing for Younger Breast Cancer Patients
- Dark matter scientists on brink of discovering elusive particles
- Science responds to globalized disease threat to farms and food systems
- Americans' support for science remains strong
- Loss of sleep during adolescence may be a diabetes danger
- Study of cognitive development in deaf children revisits longstanding debate