With the fresh news of the election of Pierluigi Campana as spokesperson of the LHCb experiment, the Italian participation to the LHC experiments at the CERN laboratories is close to a grand slam: three of the four experiments along the ring are led by Italian physicists. Campana joins Guido Tonelli (CMS), Fabiola Gianotti (ATLAS), and Jurgen Schukraft (ALICE).
Italians have consistently led CERN experiments, so the election of Campana is no surprise to most of us: still, it speaks volumes about the professionality of Italians in high-energy physics and the recognition that they are given by their colleagues abroad.
One cannot help adding a sad note to this merry piece of news: the Italian Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN), which funds the Italian participation to the CERN experiments, continues to withstand increasing budget cuts by the government. Even more dramatic is the manouver undertaken this year by Berlusconi's finance minister Giulio Tremonti, who drove the hardest blow to the functioning of the INFN administration through a senseless reduction of allowances for missions abroad.
Italian researchers who wish to continue working for the CERN experiments, maintaining and operating the hardware they have built, leading analysis groups and performing other critical management activities, or simply participating in the analysis activities of the experiments, must now do so basically using money coming out of their pockets.
In any case, congratulations to Pierluigi Campana and my best wishes for a success of the LHCb physics program!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- Why Does The Public Worry About GM Foods But Embrace Biotech Medicine?
- EU Grants Submitted And Won: Some Statistics
- "I don't think anyone would describe an airplane as a subatomic particle! Reading carefully Dorigo..."
- "According to Dorigo, the only right answer will be 4. The reason why he considers others incorrect..."
- "To this point, I had an argument with someone who told me that the urea that you piss is different..."
- "Sound like Full Professor material to me...."
- "#4, I assume. I have no clue how many inverse fb will be needed at 13 TeV to have the most energetic..."
- Study uses farm data to aid in slowing evolution of herbicide-resistant weeds
- Mental 'map' and 'compass' are two separate systems
- Head injuries could result in neurodegenerative disease in rugby union players
- Time is muscle in acute heart failure
- American Indian students disproportionately disciplined compared to white students