With the fresh news of the election of Pierluigi Campana as spokesperson of the LHCb experiment, the Italian participation to the LHC experiments at the CERN laboratories is close to a grand slam: three of the four experiments along the ring are led by Italian physicists. Campana joins Guido Tonelli (CMS), Fabiola Gianotti (ATLAS), and Jurgen Schukraft (ALICE).
Italians have consistently led CERN experiments, so the election of Campana is no surprise to most of us: still, it speaks volumes about the professionality of Italians in high-energy physics and the recognition that they are given by their colleagues abroad.
One cannot help adding a sad note to this merry piece of news: the Italian Institute of Nuclear Physics (INFN), which funds the Italian participation to the CERN experiments, continues to withstand increasing budget cuts by the government. Even more dramatic is the manouver undertaken this year by Berlusconi's finance minister Giulio Tremonti, who drove the hardest blow to the functioning of the INFN administration through a senseless reduction of allowances for missions abroad.
Italian researchers who wish to continue working for the CERN experiments, maintaining and operating the hardware they have built, leading analysis groups and performing other critical management activities, or simply participating in the analysis activities of the experiments, must now do so basically using money coming out of their pockets.
In any case, congratulations to Pierluigi Campana and my best wishes for a success of the LHCb physics program!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Zika Infects The Placenta
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Baby Talk Words With Repeated Sounds Help Infants Learn Language
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To Solar System Exploration, Open Ended, Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Einstein Right Again: Rotational Motion Is Universal - And Relative
- Endocrine Disruption: A New Strategy?
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- "Correction, I say that 20 kg of algae solution was needed per person to provide all the oxygen..."
- "Very interesting article Edzard. Not that I disagree with you and those who commented, I would..."
- "Great article about a great study. What is known of African American history jibes with this..."
- "Sweet simple and to the point. The anti sexual harassment training could begin and end right..."
- "Am I correct when I state virus can exchange certain molecules with other virus? If that is the..."
- Our Audience Is Up 700% – And Anti-Science Groups Are Going Nuts
- Tiny Vampires of the Ancient Seas
- Incentivizing Antibiotic Research
- Party Drug for Post-Surgical Pain Prevention
- Hey De Blasio-Get Off Your Sodium Podium!
- The Name Game: How Unethical Environmental Groups and Toxic Fanatics Scare You With Words