Induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) research in the last 2 years has faced many twists and turns. With scientists uncovering a number of disturbing genomic abnormalities in these cells, the future of iPSC technology looked like a sea of despair.
But lucky for those who persisted in this field of research, recent findings based on deep genome sequencing data revealed that these so-called "genomic abnormalities" simply reflect the normal genomic quirks of the original somatic cells from which iPSCs were derived.
Cheng et al, 2012 (Cell Stem Cell 10, 337–344)Young et al 2012 (Cell Stem Cell 10, 1-13)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Dopamine Receptor Agonist Drugs Linked To Gambling And Hypersexuality
- What's Hiding Under The Clouds Of Venus - Heavy Metal Frost?
- Ashes And Vegetables: The Diet Of Roman Gladiators Was Rather Poor
- New Pill-only Regimens Cure Patients With Hardest-to-treat Hepatitis C Infection
- Flow Machine: Hacking The Human Brain For Healing And Wellbeing
- Government Math: More Will Lose Health Insurance Than Gained It If ACA Subsidies Are Eliminated
- "Since there's no actual link between vaccines and autism, I think the phrase Vaccines have been..."
- "I'll not argue that humanity made God in their image, because we sought to explain something we..."
- "I think we all are atheist, agnostics, and believers throughout our life time. I also, think some..."
- "The scenario mentioned above (Poor person shows up at emergency room with a fever... No health..."
- "Actually, I used to believe. It was what I was taught as a child and I was raised a Christian...."
- Mutagenesis: One way Europeans wish it was 1936 again
- Closer examination of risk factors for Latinos underscores cultural diversity
- Saving bees requires less pesticides, changing farming
- Could GM plants replace airport security scanners?
- In a battle of brains, chimpanzees match human toddlers
- ‘Urban farmers’ behind GMO labeling initiatives
- Alternate approach to traditional CPR saves lives
- Once CD8 T cells take on one virus, they'll fight others too
- 11 million will lose health insurance if ACA subsidies are eliminated, study finds
- Two Michigan high school students develop screening tools to detect lung and heart disease
- Even depressed people believe that life gets better
Books By Writers Here