Induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) research in the last 2 years has faced many twists and turns. With scientists uncovering a number of disturbing genomic abnormalities in these cells, the future of iPSC technology looked like a sea of despair.
But lucky for those who persisted in this field of research, recent findings based on deep genome sequencing data revealed that these so-called "genomic abnormalities" simply reflect the normal genomic quirks of the original somatic cells from which iPSCs were derived.
Cheng et al, 2012 (Cell Stem Cell 10, 337–344)Young et al 2012 (Cell Stem Cell 10, 1-13)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Random Thoughts Of A Physicist In Honeymoon
- How Viruses Leave Messages For Descendants On How To 'Infect'
- Scientists For Trump In Spite Of Vaccine Autism And Climate Comments
- Getting Married
- Biomarkers Predict How Well People Age
- Debunked: World To End After Two Snowy Days In Salento, Puglia, Southern Italy, Tears On Macedonia Icon
- Anomaly! At 35% Discount For Ten More Days
- "I don't know why my comment's formatting was lost in the transmission, so that it is now one big..."
- "“If you don't use probabilities then how else do you do it? At any rate that's not a criticism..."
- "Tomasso, Congratulations, may you enjoy a long and happy life together with Kalliopi! Best regards..."
- "Found another one : http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-news/545975/end-of-the-world-Gods-vengeance..."
- "Thanks :). Actually there are so many fake doomsday red top tabloid stories that I tend to wait..."
- Nexium: The Dark Side Of Pharma
- MRI May Help 27% Of Suspected Prostate Cancer Patients Avoid Biopsies
- McKesson Fined $150 Million as they contribute to opioid crisis - Too Big to Punish
- Are Science Journals Politically Biased? Editor-in-Chief of ACS Journal Refuses to Discuss Editorial Policy
- 7 Marathons in 7 Days on 7 Continents (Healthy?)
- Healthier Eating at Sporting Events, When Menu Has Better Choices
- Your newest food fallacy - natural antioxidants to preserve food.
- Biased testing, or are girls really better at reading than boys?
- ACA hasn't reduced socioeconomic disparities in cancer screening
- How to reduce peanut allergy risk
- Who gets most distracted by cell phones? People who don't use the Internet much