Induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC) research in the last 2 years has faced many twists and turns. With scientists uncovering a number of disturbing genomic abnormalities in these cells, the future of iPSC technology looked like a sea of despair.
But lucky for those who persisted in this field of research, recent findings based on deep genome sequencing data revealed that these so-called "genomic abnormalities" simply reflect the normal genomic quirks of the original somatic cells from which iPSCs were derived.
Cheng et al, 2012 (Cell Stem Cell 10, 337–344)Young et al 2012 (Cell Stem Cell 10, 1-13)
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Genetic History Of Ice Age Europe
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- New Interpretation Of The Rök Runestone Inscription Changes View Of Viking Age
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Race And Racism 101 Lecture 1 Intro & Terminology
- Three Earth-sized Planets Found Orbiting A Tiny Nearby Star
- "Your grasping at straws. You are the one trying to prove that climate scientists can't make accurate..."
- "1. There was no 20 year hiatus. Global warming has continued unabated for the last 20 years. Starting..."
- " And the twenty year hiatus in warming was captured by those predictions? NOT! Esplain that one..."
- "Something we don't pay much attention to is that Syria, Libya, and Iraq populations have gone up..."
- 3 Reasons Aerial Pesticides Are Not Causing Autism
- Most Stores Refuse E-Cigarette Sales to Minors
- Vitamin C Conundrum for the Organic Crowd
- Newsweek Journalist Loses His Mind, Time-Traveling Radioactivity And More Media Links
- This Single-Celled Organism Is Capable Of Learning
- Study Says Bilingual Kids’ Brains Are Smarter & Faster
- UC San Diego bioengineers create first online search engine for functional genomics data
- UK Health Check has only modest impact on risk factors for cardiovascular disease
- Adult brain prunes branched connections of new neurons
- Five new breast cancer genes and range of mutations pave way for personalized treatment
- Quantum sensors for high-precision magnetometry of superconductors