The anti-biology community that has created the Big Organic $29 billion corporate juggernaut is not as creepy as the anti-vaccine community who distrust medical science - anti-vaccine people want your kids to be experimented on so theirs can stay safe from the evil 'toxins' in vaccines, after all - but they can still be pretty heavy-handed.
Their hippie ancestors distrusted government but the modern kind loves it and wants government to regulate everything, including the world view of people and choices they might want to make. Proposition 37 was one weird effort from 2012 but it wasn't the only one. We discussed calling food an addiction and efforts by a Big Tobacco lawyer to do the same thing against food companies.
Yet we seem to have missed a bunch. The Center for Consumer Freedom is on the case, detailing five of the big ones in Part One and five in Part 2. Below is a sample.
Cap and trade? For sugar? Yes, indeed, making legal sugar expensive is certain to create a new breed of criminals and, they note, a whole bunch of rich Canadians, just like the previous social authoritarian Temperance Movement did. And if banning Big Gulps don't make you thin, maybe banning buffet restaurants will. Sodas should be prohibited for children under age 17, according to one effort - I'd agree with that for raw milk or raw sprouts or anything else we know is going to poison people but blaming Coca-Cola for obesity is as silly as blaming Big Utensil for making spoons.
Perhaps, since individuals can't control themselves, government needs to regulate hamburger sizes. Or, goes one argument, ban large farms and make everyone a subsistence farmer. Like they do in Mexico.
Sound crazy? When a guy's bio proudly highlights how many continents he has been tear-gassed on, you are not dealing with the world of the rational anyway.
The Worst Proposals in Anti-Food Activism - Center for Consumer Freedom
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Moderate Pot Use By Adolescents Doesn't Hurt IQ
- Dopamine Receptor Agonist Drugs Linked To Gambling And Hypersexuality
- What's Hiding Under The Clouds Of Venus - Heavy Metal Frost?
- Ashes And Vegetables: The Diet Of Roman Gladiators Was Rather Poor
- Government Math: More Will Lose Health Insurance Than Gained It If ACA Subsidies Are Eliminated
- New Pill-only Regimens Cure Patients With Hardest-to-treat Hepatitis C Infection
- Manly Men And Feminine Women Are Not Evolutionary Mandates - They Are Urban Ones
- "Hey maybe it's not showing correctly on my iPad, but the link you included doesn't go directly..."
- "Our daughter had a serious adverse reaction to the MMR. When the HPV vaccine was offered we opted..."
- "Just like how the ability to learn language is ingrained, not any specific language, so certain..."
- "Since there's no actual link between vaccines and autism, I think the phrase Vaccines have been..."
- "I'll not argue that humanity made God in their image, because we sought to explain something we..."
- Should Science and Nature run advertorial by wacky Dr. Bronner’s that misleads on GMOs?
- Jack the Ripper’s identity remains a mystery after error in DNA analysis revealed
- Seed patent primer: Is the use of GMOs preventing farmers from reusing their seeds?
- History of penetrative sex reveals unexpected reversal in evolution
- Bleeding of Aloha: Ugliness of the anti-GMO movement in Hawaii
- Mutagenesis: One way Europeans wish it was 1936 again
- UCSF researchers identify key factor in transition from moderate to problem drinking
- Expert highlights research innovation and is optimistic about the future of IBS treatment
- Alternate approach to traditional CPR saves lives
- Once CD8 T cells take on one virus, they'll fight others too
- 11 million will lose health insurance if ACA subsidies are eliminated, study finds
Books By Writers Here