The anti-biology community that has created the Big Organic $29 billion corporate juggernaut is not as creepy as the anti-vaccine community who distrust medical science - anti-vaccine people want your kids to be experimented on so theirs can stay safe from the evil 'toxins' in vaccines, after all - but they can still be pretty heavy-handed.
Their hippie ancestors distrusted government but the modern kind loves it and wants government to regulate everything, including the world view of people and choices they might want to make. Proposition 37 was one weird effort from 2012 but it wasn't the only one. We discussed calling food an addiction and efforts by a Big Tobacco lawyer to do the same thing against food companies.
Yet we seem to have missed a bunch. The Center for Consumer Freedom is on the case, detailing five of the big ones in Part One and five in Part 2. Below is a sample.
Cap and trade? For sugar? Yes, indeed, making legal sugar expensive is certain to create a new breed of criminals and, they note, a whole bunch of rich Canadians, just like the previous social authoritarian Temperance Movement did. And if banning Big Gulps don't make you thin, maybe banning buffet restaurants will. Sodas should be prohibited for children under age 17, according to one effort - I'd agree with that for raw milk or raw sprouts or anything else we know is going to poison people but blaming Coca-Cola for obesity is as silly as blaming Big Utensil for making spoons.
Perhaps, since individuals can't control themselves, government needs to regulate hamburger sizes. Or, goes one argument, ban large farms and make everyone a subsistence farmer. Like they do in Mexico.
Sound crazy? When a guy's bio proudly highlights how many continents he has been tear-gassed on, you are not dealing with the world of the rational anyway.
The Worst Proposals in Anti-Food Activism - Center for Consumer Freedom
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- How Wild Rabbits Genetically Became Tame Ones
- Coastal Regions Need To Worry About Non-Climate Change Sea Level Rise Now
- Junk Food Rats Ditch Balanced Diet To Eat Just Like Obese People
- China's R&D Budget Surpasses The Entire EU - But Applied Research Has Plummeted
- Why I Believe We’ll Find Aliens - Seth Shostak
- High Dietary Salt Linked To Multiple Sclerosis Symptoms
- "If this is true, it would seem to be a fairly large upset in the traditional thinking of diabetes..."
- "Getting energy by oxidizing hydrogen? So could we describe these bacteria as little “fuel..."
- "This is accelerated adaptive genetics at work. It involves 'ram genes' which function much like..."
- "It is a pity that, although a French group is signing the article with a reference to several institutions..."
- Medication shows mixed results in reducing complications from cardiac surgery
- Transvenous lead extraction clinically successful in 98 percent of cases
- First multidisciplinary recommendations on management of arrhythmias in ACS patients
- First expert consensus on ventricular arrhythmias published
- First comprehensive ESC Guidelines on aortic diseases published