The anti-biology community that has created the Big Organic $29 billion corporate juggernaut is not as creepy as the anti-vaccine community who distrust medical science - anti-vaccine people want your kids to be experimented on so theirs can stay safe from the evil 'toxins' in vaccines, after all - but they can still be pretty heavy-handed.
Their hippie ancestors distrusted government but the modern kind loves it and wants government to regulate everything, including the world view of people and choices they might want to make. Proposition 37 was one weird effort from 2012 but it wasn't the only one. We discussed calling food an addiction and efforts by a Big Tobacco lawyer to do the same thing against food companies.
Yet we seem to have missed a bunch. The Center for Consumer Freedom is on the case, detailing five of the big ones in Part One and five in Part 2. Below is a sample.
Cap and trade? For sugar? Yes, indeed, making legal sugar expensive is certain to create a new breed of criminals and, they note, a whole bunch of rich Canadians, just like the previous social authoritarian Temperance Movement did. And if banning Big Gulps don't make you thin, maybe banning buffet restaurants will. Sodas should be prohibited for children under age 17, according to one effort - I'd agree with that for raw milk or raw sprouts or anything else we know is going to poison people but blaming Coca-Cola for obesity is as silly as blaming Big Utensil for making spoons.
Perhaps, since individuals can't control themselves, government needs to regulate hamburger sizes. Or, goes one argument, ban large farms and make everyone a subsistence farmer. Like they do in Mexico.
Sound crazy? When a guy's bio proudly highlights how many continents he has been tear-gassed on, you are not dealing with the world of the rational anyway.
The Worst Proposals in Anti-Food Activism - Center for Consumer Freedom
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Inheritable Bacterium Controls Aedes Mosquitoes' Ability To Transmit Zika
- What Lies Beneath West Antarctica?
- Humans Have Faster Metabolism Than Closely Related Primates, Enabling Larger Brains
- The Venus Flytrap: From Prey To Predator
- Beekeepers Can Be Hazardous To Bees
- Exodus 2100: Due To Climate Change
- Unified Mathematical Field Theory Talk
- "Is anyone aware that you have to have 80% villous (spelling?) atrophy to get a celiac diagnosis..."
- "Hello MathGeek:Thank you for stating your starting position so clearly:This is NOT my goal. I also..."
- "I agree with Robert Walker he looks to me a experienced guy we should be aware of these kinda stuffs..."
- "Just adding another link. Spinning Brains..."
- "Okay, yes I hadn't thought about clear walled aquariums. That's a good example :). Maybe its easier..."
- Research collaboration IDs serum biomarkers that predict preclinical IBD development and complications
- 'Super males' emerge from male-dominated populations, study finds
- Immunization rates climb when pediatricians have easy access to vaccination records
- IU-led study reveals new insights into light color sensing and transfer of genetic traits
- UCI astronomers determine precise mass of a giant black hole