The EU is everything that can go wrong with bloated, inclusive bureaucracy. Their proposed constitution had bits of bizarre legal fluff like 'children have a right to be heard', they don't want a strong currency because it damages their individual, heavily subsidized economies if they have to pay more to stay competitive and they make being anti-science into an art form.
A short while ago they sent the public into a panic by declaring X-ray scanners couldn't be used because they might cause cancer - hey, I don't want to be X-rayed either but if the EU really cares about preventing cancer related to travel, they should simply limit the number of times any European can fly per year. Being 35,000 feet in the air is a lot more dangerous than 3 seconds in an X-ray machine.
Now, after three years (yes, that is years) of debate they have issued an edict stating that no water sold in the EU can claim to protect against dehydration. In other words, water will not keep you from dehydrating, which is the one thing we know water can do. Meanwhile, homeopathy products, which are nothing but supposedly magic water foisted off on gullible people that can't actually do anything other than hydrate the people who buy it, remains a multi-billion dollar industry over there.
These weren't goofy politicians, this was a panel of 21 scientists of the European Food Safety Authority’s panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies that determined water doesn't work. What was European Commission President Jose Manuel Barroso supposed to do? Not sign it and be called anti-science? He signed it, even if he likely thought it was a joke. Now, if you claim water works for dehydration you can go to jail for two years.
Their reasoning? Reduced water content in the body is a symptom of dehydration rather than a risk factor that drinking water could control.
Poor water. Now it is culturally orphaned like the EU's 1995 law that banned curved bananas and ugly carrots. If you are trapped in the desert and dehydrating, please be advised that, if you drink water, these EU committee scientists will ridicule you and call you a Flat Earth Holocaust Denier. If I am ever in a European hospital for dehydration, I still hope my nurse is anti-science and gives me some H2O.
I don't want to be too hard on these guys, they do some positive things; they issued another edict declaring that a strain of GMO corn, scientifically optimized to not need chemical pesticide, is not bad - for the environment, anyway. It's still not legally cultivated, though, because the EU public makes U.S. progressives look absolutely enlightened in their anti-science kneejerk reflexivity.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How 'Super Aging' Seniors Retain Youthful Memory Abilities
- The Chinese STEM Butterflies Of A 14-Year-Old Girl
- How To Become A Researcher
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- Single-celled Fungi Multiply, Alien-like, By Fusing Cells In Host
- Heal Non-Healing Wounds With Cold Plasma
- "Oh there are many things older than that. The earliest cave paintings range from around 30,000..."
- "Ahh shut up all of you.. You all know the earth is flattttt hahahah xD Btw you people like all..."
- "Am I the only one who thinks it is ridiculous to have 662 people waste one or two months learning..."
- "See also my answer to How can Mars be warmed up as Elon Musk implied during his September..."
- "Warmer = Anthropogenic Global Warming Cooler = Anthropogenic Global Warming Wetter = Anthropogenic..."
- Stay Away From Homeopathic Teething Remedies Warns the FDA
- FDA warns against homeopathic teething remedies
- Genetically Engineered Drug to Improve Safety of New Anti-clotting Meds
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the Stamina?
- Feeding Young Athletes
- Hillary Clinton vs. Donald Trump: Who’s Got the ‘Stamina?’
- Single-celled fungi multiply, alien-like, by fusing cells in host
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal