Can you be liable for damages if you didn't mean to do it? Can the pollution laws of one country be enforced in another? When it comes to politics and the environment, laws really only count when they are on your side, as we saw when Germans ironically declared it wrong for an American to dump iron dust in the ocean for a geo-engineering experiment, yet the same loophole was completely ethical when they did it three years ago.
Americans in the state of Washington are not happy that Canadians are dumping all of their pollution in the US and don't want to pay the $1 billion it will cost to clean it up so they are suing in court. The Canadians say British Columbia is not actually part of the United States so a US court ruling is meaningless, and they didn't mean to dump all that slag from their giant lead and zinc smelter into America. It seems that when that factory started no one was aware pollution could travel 10 miles down a river. They also contend it is not pollution. I guess that is how awesome refuse from Canadian factories is.
The company being targeted by the lawsuit, Teck, says it is not to blame. They say it is the almost 1,000 other metals mines and mills also dumping pollution into the river that are mucking up Washington state. Since they are not the sole culprit, the Canadian and US governments should pay to clean up their pollution, they contend, but Canada's government protests even a joint clean-up, which means American taxpayers would be on the hook. Teck also notes that the Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area isn't actually being polluted by their slag, since it is not harmful. Maybe brochures could highlight black sand as a tourist attraction.
Canadians have it easy. To the US EPA, even clean water is considered a pollutant in rivers. In Canada, nothing is considered pollution - if it ends up over the US border.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Nibiru Internet Hoax "Blood Moon" Video - Kudos To Independent For Straight Debunking Article :).
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- Anomaly!: Book News And A Clip
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- Petition: Let's End Dramatized Reporting Of "Doomsday" Stories - The Vulnerable Get Suicidal
- "To Robert Walker http://poleshift.ning.com/profiles/blogs/nibiru-daily-on-webcam?xg_source=activity..."
- "As someone with GAD, Depression and OCD, it's difficult to go about my days without worrying about..."
- "Well, you know. I saw a comment on these 'preppers'/doomsday fanatics' video and there was a comment..."
- "Yes, there's nothing at all, and the idea doesn't make sense astronomically. Astronomers are fed..."
- "So is there honestly anything to worry about mr walker its just im quite new to all of this so..."
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- I’ve Had More Exposure To Agent Orange Than Anyone: Here’s What I Know
- Brussels – a Final Destination for Medical Care
- Organic Farms Yield 20% Fewer Crops than Conventional Farms
- Funding Scientific Research In A Scientific Way
- Mapping pluripotency differences between mice, monkeys, and humans
- Smokers with newly discovered genetic markers have higher lung cancer risk
- Key substance for treatment of visceral leishmaniasis identified
- High-tech alternative to brain surgery proves effective for most common movement disorder
- Fateful evolution: New study improves accuracy of cancer diagnosis