Can you be liable for damages if you didn't mean to do it? Can the pollution laws of one country be enforced in another? When it comes to politics and the environment, laws really only count when they are on your side, as we saw when Germans ironically declared it wrong for an American to dump iron dust in the ocean for a geo-engineering experiment, yet the same loophole was completely ethical when they did it three years ago.
Americans in the state of Washington are not happy that Canadians are dumping all of their pollution in the US and don't want to pay the $1 billion it will cost to clean it up so they are suing in court. The Canadians say British Columbia is not actually part of the United States so a US court ruling is meaningless, and they didn't mean to dump all that slag from their giant lead and zinc smelter into America. It seems that when that factory started no one was aware pollution could travel 10 miles down a river. They also contend it is not pollution. I guess that is how awesome refuse from Canadian factories is.
The company being targeted by the lawsuit, Teck, says it is not to blame. They say it is the almost 1,000 other metals mines and mills also dumping pollution into the river that are mucking up Washington state. Since they are not the sole culprit, the Canadian and US governments should pay to clean up their pollution, they contend, but Canada's government protests even a joint clean-up, which means American taxpayers would be on the hook. Teck also notes that the Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area isn't actually being polluted by their slag, since it is not harmful. Maybe brochures could highlight black sand as a tourist attraction.
Canadians have it easy. To the US EPA, even clean water is considered a pollutant in rivers. In Canada, nothing is considered pollution - if it ends up over the US border.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Top Scientists Chastise Greenpeace
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- "So what was the precipitating event which caused your re-evaluation?..."
- "I try this one... I am a bit rusty, so my solution can be dramatically wrong. Given that B is uniform..."
- "wow! with a name like Wilhelmina Pelegrina, she can't do no wrong. also,some of the problems in..."
- "This is the best you could do? Golden Rice is in the public domain - the lack of any corporate..."
- "Dylan, okay first TL:DR, the answer is that for anything of 10 km upwards, months or a year or..."
- Cancer As Modern Lifestyle Disease? Only If There Was Processed Food 2 Million Years Ago
- Blood Test for Alzheimer’s: Close Or Hype?
- The Flavor Enhancing Molecule in Roasted Garlic Powder
- USPSTF Advisory on Skin Cancer Screening Provokes Concerns from Docs
- Bariatric Surgery May Reverse Obesity Associated Premature Aging
- Pediatricians Should Provide Sex Ed, But Many Don’t