Can you be liable for damages if you didn't mean to do it? Can the pollution laws of one country be enforced in another? When it comes to politics and the environment, laws really only count when they are on your side, as we saw when Germans ironically declared it wrong for an American to dump iron dust in the ocean for a geo-engineering experiment, yet the same loophole was completely ethical when they did it three years ago.
Americans in the state of Washington are not happy that Canadians are dumping all of their pollution in the US and don't want to pay the $1 billion it will cost to clean it up so they are suing in court. The Canadians say British Columbia is not actually part of the United States so a US court ruling is meaningless, and they didn't mean to dump all that slag from their giant lead and zinc smelter into America. It seems that when that factory started no one was aware pollution could travel 10 miles down a river. They also contend it is not pollution. I guess that is how awesome refuse from Canadian factories is.
The company being targeted by the lawsuit, Teck, says it is not to blame. They say it is the almost 1,000 other metals mines and mills also dumping pollution into the river that are mucking up Washington state. Since they are not the sole culprit, the Canadian and US governments should pay to clean up their pollution, they contend, but Canada's government protests even a joint clean-up, which means American taxpayers would be on the hook. Teck also notes that the Lake Roosevelt National Recreation Area isn't actually being polluted by their slag, since it is not harmful. Maybe brochures could highlight black sand as a tourist attraction.
Canadians have it easy. To the US EPA, even clean water is considered a pollutant in rivers. In Canada, nothing is considered pollution - if it ends up over the US border.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- Today's Disposable Society: Pharmaceuticals And Other Contaminants Of Emerging Concern
- Aging Star's Weight Loss Secret Revealed
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Use Caution In Prescribing Ritalin To Treat ADHD
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "Hi Thank you for all the positive logic. I've been so worried I've been to see my Gp so any reassurance..."
- "wat I don't get is y the date keeps changing ive just read it could be tomorrow then its December..."
- "The whole thing, astronomically, is just nonsense. If someone just said, say, that some ancient..."
- "On a first reading, I saw the tiltle as Paleofoods. ..."
- "To make things clearer (since it was not stated until near the end of the article), Dimetrodon..."
- Osteoarthritis finding sheds new light on HA injection controversy
- As 2nd anniversary nears of Ebola breakout in West Africa, nurse provides firsthand account of combating Ebola
- Satellite video shows Hurricane Sandra moving north along Mexico's west coast
- Can physical exercise enhance long-term memory?
- Great Barrier Reef protecting against landslides, tsunamis