Though a subset of culture is determined to make the world omnisexual, kids are not getting the message.
It isn't that efforts aren't persistent. A Swedish regulatory group chastised Top-Toy, the Toys"R"Us of Europe, and pressured them to change their "narrow-minded" ways. Not wanting to appear insensitive, or to get a big government crackdown for ignoring a 'suggestion' that has the force of government behind it, the company introduced gender neutrality in its 2012 Christmas catalog - to the delight of cultural militants who insist the world will be a better place if we just experiment with children more.
This is the same country that proposed creating a law requiring men to sit while urinating, asked for a special tax to be placed on men...just because...and introduced a genderless pronoun no one uses. Now they have a toy catalog where the girls are playing with guns and boys are playing with dolls. Revolucion! Finally, we can achieve that progressive Utopia society has long sought. Where it is established that boys and girls are identical - they have identical interests and tendencies and we will never ever have to see science book chapters titled "Boys Have Wee-Wees And Girls Have Hoo-Hoos" in books because, well, cultural evangelists say it is just not true.
But what if it is true? The cultural mullahs who insist boys and girls are all the same also insist their deprogramming takes time and that is why it never worked in the past - they sound a lot like those people claiming they can undo some special brainwashing that makes people gay - but Hasbro would like to sell toys right now.
Christina Hoff Sommers, author of The War Against Boys, notes in The Atlantic that when Hasbro tried to create a gender-neutral playhouse 20 years ago, the girls played with the dolls while the boys catapulted the baby carriage from the roof of the thing.
Maybe American kids are more indoctrinated in heteronormative gender roles than the rest of the world? That would be valid if rhesus monkeys didn't do the exact same thing.
So, should we be forcing children into a cultural experiment, the way society used to force female 'tomboys' to act more more feminine and 'sensitive' boys were forced to act more masculine? Whatever happened to tolerance, and why don't Swedes have more of it?
Sommers tackles it all in You Can Give a Boy a Doll, but You Can't Make Him Play With It - The Atlantic
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Interstellar Is A Dangerous Fantasy Of US Colonialism
- Diversity Fatigue: Why Businesses Struggle To Close The Gender Gap
- Reasons Serious Scientists Should Not Fear The Winnower and other OA Open Review Journals.
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Coffee Lowers Risk Of Alzheimer's Up To 20 Percent
- DNA May Survive Spaceflight, Study Finds
- "I was looking at The Winnower again this morning, which led me back here. I tried to comment on..."
- "There is no question they were created to cater to universities and are staffed by people from..."
- "And my second link should be not a copy of the first, but this: http://www.nature.com/news/half..."
- "Recently I saw The Conversation remove/censor legitimate comments arguing against an article written..."
- tags because there's no testing..." href="/robert_inventor/why_we_cant_backup_earth_on_mars_the_moon_or_anywhere_else_in_our_solar_system-148364#comment-182183">"Robert, you might want to reformat my post. I intended to highlight only the headlines for easy..."
- Behavioral interventions to prevent progression to diabetes equally effective in men and women
- Gender differences in adaptation to space flight
- Long-term complication rate low in nose job using patient's own rib cartilage
- Survival differences seen for advanced-stage laryngeal cancer
- Effect of once-daily, low-dose aspirin on heart attack deaths and other outcomes
Books By Writers Here