Well, two reasons; reason one is that if we write about bdelloid rotifers we just make reference to bdelloid rotifers but if they write about bdelloid rotifers, they find a way to incorporate lesbian necrophiliacs into the title.
Seriously, who is not going to click on that title? I am sure we can all agree that Safe For Work (SFW, because I am so internet lingo hip after getting a Facebook account) articles with 'lesbian' and 'necrophiliac' in the title are kind of rare.
Who knew you were so sexy? And deviant! Credit: David Mark Welch
They are fascinating critters, to be sure, but I never considered making them Friday night Cinemax worthy. Instead, our stuff usually focuses on environmental adaptability, DNA repair during meiosis, etc. Boooooring.
The other reason they are bigger than we are is plain old marketing savvy, with nifty ideas coming out of their editorial meetings like ...
THE TOP 100 STORIES OF 2008
And those top 100 stories will all be written by Discover! That's terrific, though I imagine Science and Nature are disappointed that their magazines, where the studies Discover writes about are published, don't have any of their articles merit a mention in a top anything list.
I am not sure when we will be big enough to do something of that magnitude - that would mean 2 articles per week here would have to be the best science stories on the whole internet - but we could do something smaller.
So, for all 25 people who read anything I write, if you have ideas for maybe a Top 20 Science Stories of 2008, send them to me and we'll combine them. They can be from writers here or anywhere else - one could even be Discover's Top 100 Stories of 2008! Because that would be pretty darn funny.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Something is wrong in the Arctic
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- Neanderthals: Not So Dumb
- Anomaly! Book Presentation At CERN On November 29
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- "Oh okay maybe they got upset in the same way you did. You could try pointing them towards my Nibiru..."
- "So you can guarantee to me that this is not real yeah thats all i want for this not to be real..."
- "No you don't. It's not real, it's a hoax, any astronomer would just LOL at the idea. These are..."
- "Do I need to do any of that then Mr walker just want the truth are me and my children in any danger..."
- "Oh, don't do any of that. Who has told you to do that? Are they people you would trust with your..."
- Public Citizen Wants You Dead- Not Bacteria
- Pfizer's Centrum Silver Multivitamins Contain Pesticide, Paint, and Glass
- Fly me to the Moon, but hold the altitude sickness
- What's in an Egg? Demystifying the Labels
- Paper Scandal at Science? Microbeads Lying In the Weeds. With A Stolen Computer.
- Honey, Please Pass The High Fructose Corn Syrup