Well, two reasons; reason one is that if we write about bdelloid rotifers we just make reference to bdelloid rotifers but if they write about bdelloid rotifers, they find a way to incorporate lesbian necrophiliacs into the title.
Seriously, who is not going to click on that title? I am sure we can all agree that Safe For Work (SFW, because I am so internet lingo hip after getting a Facebook account) articles with 'lesbian' and 'necrophiliac' in the title are kind of rare.
Who knew you were so sexy? And deviant! Credit: David Mark Welch
They are fascinating critters, to be sure, but I never considered making them Friday night Cinemax worthy. Instead, our stuff usually focuses on environmental adaptability, DNA repair during meiosis, etc. Boooooring.
The other reason they are bigger than we are is plain old marketing savvy, with nifty ideas coming out of their editorial meetings like ...
THE TOP 100 STORIES OF 2008
And those top 100 stories will all be written by Discover! That's terrific, though I imagine Science and Nature are disappointed that their magazines, where the studies Discover writes about are published, don't have any of their articles merit a mention in a top anything list.
I am not sure when we will be big enough to do something of that magnitude - that would mean 2 articles per week here would have to be the best science stories on the whole internet - but we could do something smaller.
So, for all 25 people who read anything I write, if you have ideas for maybe a Top 20 Science Stories of 2008, send them to me and we'll combine them. They can be from writers here or anywhere else - one could even be Discover's Top 100 Stories of 2008! Because that would be pretty darn funny.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To Independent For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- It's Not The Nicotine: US Teens More Likely To Vape For Flavorings
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- A Great Blitz Game
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- On Sexuality, You Weren't Born That Way, Says Paper
- Beekeeping Fad And The Stress Of Traveling Is Harmful To Bees
- "Try chess24.com. It's free and a great site. And you can challenge me! ;-)..."
- "Yes I agree, it's especially sad when very young children get worried about this stuff, when there's..."
- "LocalFluff - just to say I didn't delete your comment on Stuart's post, or hide it - it was automatically..."
- "Yes I agree. I think there is a lot of hope as well, there are many who are working to save the..."
- "Oh that was just a joke. We have a way of telling jokes in the UK that we use sometimes - a very..."
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Latest IARC Report Connects Fatness with More Cancers
- Fact Checking Mylan Claims They Raised The EpiPen Price Because of Improvements
- UNIST to engineer next-generation smart separator membranes
- Important advance made with new approach to 'control' cancer, not eliminate it
- More to rainbows than meets the eye
- US teens more likely to vape for flavorings than nicotine in e-cigarettes
- Israeli lifestyle and environment may pose exceptional risks for Hodgkin's lymphoma