On Halloween, your Planter's peanut butter is going to skyrocket in price; as much as 40%. I predict riots that will make this Wall Street 1% stuff pale in comparison because all of them eat peanut butter (and Ramen) and a whole lot more of us as well. Maybe not. We once thought Americans would not tolerate $4 gas either, cheap gasoline was such an American right that some claimed George Bush went into Iraq for cheaper oil (yet when the price of oil rose, they claimed he went into Iraq to make oil more expensive for his buddies - life is good when you just make stuff up) but people are fine with expensive gas and rampant unemployment so far. CO2 emissions are down, at least, so that is a big win for global warming.
Yet peanut butter may be the straw that breaks that proverbial camel's back.
Kraft apparently doesn't care about America, they care about peanuts, and a ton of runner peanuts shot up to $1,200 from $450 a year ago due to a poor harvest this year. Blame the drought in the southern US when your PB&J becomes a luxury item. The Chinese can't possibly grow enough peanuts in time to save us.
How does a 13% drop in peanuts equate to a 40% increase in peanut butter? It's the miracle of capitalism. In another capitalism miracle, look for Jif and Peter Pan to watch the price increases closely. If Kraft is still selling anywhere near as much Planters peanut butter as they were this week, they'll all raise prices.
Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University, told CNNMoney less peanut butter shouldn't impact the average consumer. "For the average person in America, it would be a good idea to eat less of almost everything."
I agree, I just wish the drought had impacted broccoli or something I don't like. Next year look for price spikes in soy and corn when all those farmers switch to peanuts.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Kudos To "The Independent" Newspaper For Debunking Nibiru "Blood Moon" Hoax
- Control Cancer By Making The Tumor Cell Environment Hostile
- It's Not The Nicotine: US Teens More Likely To Vape For Flavorings
- USDA Microbiologist Warns Bacteria In Vaping Products May Be A Health Concern
- Your Microbiome Did Not Cause Your Weight Problem
- Brivaracetam In Epilepsy: Added Benefit Still Not Proven
- Want Lower Dengue Fever Risk? Have A Warmer Climate
- "Stacey, I already have. But sometimes I find new ways to explain these things which seem to help..."
- "Mr walker please would you be able to demonstrate how this cant be real or at least show hard evidence..."
- "germs, microbes, bacteria, etc.apparently cannot feed on pg, vg, or nicotine. The flavorings commonly..."
- "Oh, I wonder if you were lucky enough to see a rare sun mirage? Actually every time you see..."
- "I dont know much about this topic, however, I am certain of what I saw yesterday at sunset and..."
- Breast Cancer: Genomics May Show Where Chemo Might Not Be Needed
- Gallup Poll: Great Example of How to Bias a Social Science Study
- Another Kardashian Craze Debunked
- Fad Friday: Ditch The Body Wrap!
- Commonly Cited Stat of 10 Bacteria for Every 1 Human Cell Is Wrong
- Why The EpiPen And Other Generic Drugs Are So Expensive
- Activity tracker uses heart rate to personalize amount of exercise needed to prevent death
- Moderate physical activity linked with 50 percent reduction in cardiovascular death in over-65s
- 20 cent school intervention stops unhealthy weight gain in children
- Low socioeconomic status associated with higher risk of second heart attack or stroke
- Smartphone detects atrial fibrillation with existing hardware