On Halloween, your Planter's peanut butter is going to skyrocket in price; as much as 40%. I predict riots that will make this Wall Street 1% stuff pale in comparison because all of them eat peanut butter (and Ramen) and a whole lot more of us as well. Maybe not. We once thought Americans would not tolerate $4 gas either, cheap gasoline was such an American right that some claimed George Bush went into Iraq for cheaper oil (yet when the price of oil rose, they claimed he went into Iraq to make oil more expensive for his buddies - life is good when you just make stuff up) but people are fine with expensive gas and rampant unemployment so far. CO2 emissions are down, at least, so that is a big win for global warming.
Yet peanut butter may be the straw that breaks that proverbial camel's back.
Kraft apparently doesn't care about America, they care about peanuts, and a ton of runner peanuts shot up to $1,200 from $450 a year ago due to a poor harvest this year. Blame the drought in the southern US when your PB&J becomes a luxury item. The Chinese can't possibly grow enough peanuts in time to save us.
How does a 13% drop in peanuts equate to a 40% increase in peanut butter? It's the miracle of capitalism. In another capitalism miracle, look for Jif and Peter Pan to watch the price increases closely. If Kraft is still selling anywhere near as much Planters peanut butter as they were this week, they'll all raise prices.
Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University, told CNNMoney less peanut butter shouldn't impact the average consumer. "For the average person in America, it would be a good idea to eat less of almost everything."
I agree, I just wish the drought had impacted broccoli or something I don't like. Next year look for price spikes in soy and corn when all those farmers switch to peanuts.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Early Human Ancestor Did Not Have The Jaws Of A Nutcracker
- How Gut Inflammation Sparks Colon Cancer
- Increase In Volcanic Eruptions At The End Of The Ice Age Caused By Melting Ice Caps And Erosion
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- A Conservative Argument For Genetic Modification Of Embryos
- A Long, Hot View: Climate Change Likely To Extend Across Next 10,000 Years
- "This is all just fear-mongering, clap-trap! If things go according to these prediction, but no..."
- "like the sages of israel say g-d created the rules and he dont owe anyone anything weather this..."
- "This is not surprising. In fact in a cohort with autism in general who did not have this specific..."
- "Or Genius or Juventas......"
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer
- Norovirus: From Satan’s Biohazard Lab To Your Duodenum
- Health Briefs: What You Missed Over the Weekend
- Arthroscopic knee surgery does not cure sensations of knee catching or locking
- 'Hidden fish' genus described for 2 new weakly electric mormyrid species from Gabon
- Intensifying Atlantic storm examined by NASA's GPM
- Making sense of metallic glass
- National underutilization of preemptive and early kidney transplants