On Halloween, your Planter's peanut butter is going to skyrocket in price; as much as 40%. I predict riots that will make this Wall Street 1% stuff pale in comparison because all of them eat peanut butter (and Ramen) and a whole lot more of us as well. Maybe not. We once thought Americans would not tolerate $4 gas either, cheap gasoline was such an American right that some claimed George Bush went into Iraq for cheaper oil (yet when the price of oil rose, they claimed he went into Iraq to make oil more expensive for his buddies - life is good when you just make stuff up) but people are fine with expensive gas and rampant unemployment so far. CO2 emissions are down, at least, so that is a big win for global warming.
Yet peanut butter may be the straw that breaks that proverbial camel's back.
Kraft apparently doesn't care about America, they care about peanuts, and a ton of runner peanuts shot up to $1,200 from $450 a year ago due to a poor harvest this year. Blame the drought in the southern US when your PB&J becomes a luxury item. The Chinese can't possibly grow enough peanuts in time to save us.
How does a 13% drop in peanuts equate to a 40% increase in peanut butter? It's the miracle of capitalism. In another capitalism miracle, look for Jif and Peter Pan to watch the price increases closely. If Kraft is still selling anywhere near as much Planters peanut butter as they were this week, they'll all raise prices.
Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University, told CNNMoney less peanut butter shouldn't impact the average consumer. "For the average person in America, it would be a good idea to eat less of almost everything."
I agree, I just wish the drought had impacted broccoli or something I don't like. Next year look for price spikes in soy and corn when all those farmers switch to peanuts.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Yawunik Kootenayi - Lobster With Two Sets Of Eyes From 500,000,000 B.C.
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Spring Flukes: New 3-Sigma Signals From LHCb And ATLAS
- "Who are we kidding? The mass ed model is not set up for 2E. The growing homeschool movement with..."
- "Terrence- I just don't get curling. The guys with the brooms look like lunatics. And you..."
- "Mr Bloom Yes you have made your Point. Have you ever watched curling? As an active sport, point..."
- "Terence- Thanks for your comments. Although I am pretty good at spotting quacks, I cannot say the..."
- "Greetings Mr Bloom Thank you for your work. I currently reside in Boise Idaho. Looking at the Pewforum..."