On Halloween, your Planter's peanut butter is going to skyrocket in price; as much as 40%. I predict riots that will make this Wall Street 1% stuff pale in comparison because all of them eat peanut butter (and Ramen) and a whole lot more of us as well. Maybe not. We once thought Americans would not tolerate $4 gas either, cheap gasoline was such an American right that some claimed George Bush went into Iraq for cheaper oil (yet when the price of oil rose, they claimed he went into Iraq to make oil more expensive for his buddies - life is good when you just make stuff up) but people are fine with expensive gas and rampant unemployment so far. CO2 emissions are down, at least, so that is a big win for global warming.
Yet peanut butter may be the straw that breaks that proverbial camel's back.
Kraft apparently doesn't care about America, they care about peanuts, and a ton of runner peanuts shot up to $1,200 from $450 a year ago due to a poor harvest this year. Blame the drought in the southern US when your PB&J becomes a luxury item. The Chinese can't possibly grow enough peanuts in time to save us.
How does a 13% drop in peanuts equate to a 40% increase in peanut butter? It's the miracle of capitalism. In another capitalism miracle, look for Jif and Peter Pan to watch the price increases closely. If Kraft is still selling anywhere near as much Planters peanut butter as they were this week, they'll all raise prices.
Marion Nestle, a nutrition professor at New York University, told CNNMoney less peanut butter shouldn't impact the average consumer. "For the average person in America, it would be a good idea to eat less of almost everything."
I agree, I just wish the drought had impacted broccoli or something I don't like. Next year look for price spikes in soy and corn when all those farmers switch to peanuts.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Metal Hip Replacements Implanted Since 2006 More Prone To Failure
- Does lower literacy make you a sucker for online health ads?
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Unique Fragment From Earth’s Formation Returns Home
- Common Sense and Cosmology
- "<!--[if gte mso 9]> 800x600 <![endif]--> High energy Big Bang is the initial Unification scale..."
- "Right, and the other 5 had tobacco residue...."
- "I have space-time numbers. I don't have a metric space which, yes, requires a metric tensor for..."
- "Even using Wikipedia, an illustration of the conventional prejudice on the matter energy density..."
- "In Reading University Library there is a most interesting book Felix Klein and Sophus Lie by I..."
- Parents' presence at bedside found to decrease neonatal abstinence syndrome severity
- Breastfeeding app shows promise in supporting first-time mothers
- Study shows asthma-related Twitter posts can predict rise in hospital visits
- Mental health diagnoses rise significantly for military children
- Combination of face-to-face and online bullying may pack a powerful punch