Not horrified by PETA's graphic images of food processing or titillated by their penchant for exploiting naked women enough to stop eating meat?
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have opened a new front in their culture war; they have declared that increased Autism Spectrum Diagnoses are due to milk.
They cited one small study, n=20. Hey, that is 66% more subjects than Andrew Wakefield used to declare that vaccines causes autism. And then another study found that taking kids off milk made those darn autistic kids behave better. Thanks, PETA, for demonizing kids so you can protect animals. They tried this same stunt before but pulled it after the outrage, even from their own members. They must assume their members have lost all of their marbles now and won't mind.
They use weasel terms like "more studies are needed" and "the reason why dairy foods may worsen or even cause autism is being debated" - ummmm debated why who? It's one of the dumbest things I've read this week. But ever since Rachel Carson wrote Silent Spring, activists have followed back on finding a paper somewhere and then bolstering it with anecdotes.
If that doesn't scare you enough, they also say that milk causes cancer.
It probably used to be that Big Meat had to pay people to invent this kind of goofy thing about PETA, now they do it to themselves for free.
PETA members may be gullible, but the autism community is not amused by their exploitation the way naked chicks are:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Volunteer-Based Peer Review: A Success
- Bitcoin And Anonymity: User's Identity Can Be Revealed Much Easier Than Thought
- The BPA Paradox – Too Many Studies?
- Education: Stop New Age Thinking, Chalk And Talk Might Be The Best Way After All
- "As someone who has received NIH funding, I can tell you the answer is magic and pure coincidence..."
- "I never thought of diminutive as having a positive or negative association. I often describe people's..."
- "For the most part, I found your article compelling. It reminded me of the time in graduate school..."
- "Indeed, my little experiment does not prove anything; it is not scalable. Not the $10, not the..."
- "Most students take it to battle tiredness and lack of focus, so they study a lot more on the drug..."
- Endangered hammerhead shark found migrating into unprotected waters
- Female color perception affects evolution of male plumage in birds
- Diagnosing deafness early will help teenagers' reading development
- 'Utter neglect' of rheumatic heart disease revealed by results from global study
- Sweet-smelling breath to help diabetes diagnosis in children