Not horrified by PETA's graphic images of food processing or titillated by their penchant for exploiting naked women enough to stop eating meat?
The People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals have opened a new front in their culture war; they have declared that increased Autism Spectrum Diagnoses are due to milk.
They cited one small study, n=20. Hey, that is 66% more subjects than Andrew Wakefield used to declare that vaccines causes autism. And then another study found that taking kids off milk made those darn autistic kids behave better. Thanks, PETA, for demonizing kids so you can protect animals. They tried this same stunt before but pulled it after the outrage, even from their own members. They must assume their members have lost all of their marbles now and won't mind.
They use weasel terms like "more studies are needed" and "the reason why dairy foods may worsen or even cause autism is being debated" - ummmm debated why who? It's one of the dumbest things I've read this week. But ever since Rachel Carson wrote Silent Spring, activists have followed back on finding a paper somewhere and then bolstering it with anecdotes.
If that doesn't scare you enough, they also say that milk causes cancer.
It probably used to be that Big Meat had to pay people to invent this kind of goofy thing about PETA, now they do it to themselves for free.
PETA members may be gullible, but the autism community is not amused by their exploitation the way naked chicks are:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- New Results From The LHC At 13 TeV!
- (Well)-Paid PhD Position In Physics Offered In Padova, Italy
- An Anti-Aging Pill Is Still A Long Way Off
- People Are Not Scared Of GMO Warning Labels
- Scientists Discover First 'DNA Ambulance'
- "Methanol (wood alcohol) is 11% of aspartame, so one can diet drink gives 22 mg methanol, which..."
- "Josh, this is one of best articles I've read!..."
- "There are two zero-entries data points not shown (semi-log graph).Nobody gets excited by two events..."
- "That was a pun! Excesses usually appear toward the end of a spectrum... and the energy being 1..."
- "Aaron E. Carroll gives case against sugar and for aspartame in New York Times: Rich Murray 2015..."