Conservatives, who generally agree on the value of individual freedom, want the government to limit marijuana. Progressives, who generally agree on the value of big government, don't want the government to limit marijuana.
Conservatives, who generally agree on the merits of capitalism, like genetically modified organisms, as long as they aren't researched using human embryonic stem cells and curing people of serious illnesses. Progressives, who generally dislike capitalism unless it is the magical sort that works in a world where regulation of fossil fuels and mandates and subsidies for lousy alternative solutions from 1600 A.D. will still allow capitalism to flourish, dislike genetically modified organisms because they hate science.
Given this political landscape, I have learned of a product that will bring both political fringes together; genetically modified marijuana.
Conservatives will like it if it makes Monsanto rich and progressives will like it because, you know, they are stoners. That sounds like 100 percent voter approval to me.
As always, Colombians are part of the scientific avant garde. They have embraced science in a way no one in America has and created lines of GMO marijuana that are more robust and have increased concentration of THC, 18 percent levels compared to supposedly better 'organic' marijuana that has only two to seven percent. Some of it even goes by the name "Creepy."
It gets better. Both conservatives and progressives care about poor people, right? Well, GMO marijuana wins there also. It sells for 100,000 pesos per kilo - 10 times what cuddly pot farmers can get for ordinary marijuana. Good luck getting that kind of scratch growing bananas and coffee, even if they claim it's organic.
And unlike organic bananas and coffee, GMO marijuana doesn't spoil so easily. You know what that means? Fewer emissions because a lot more arrives safely. That's a win for global warming too.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- Wetlands And Agriculture, Not Fossil Fuels, Behind The Global Rise In Methane
- Vitamin D Could Help Control TB In Animals
- How Would You Like A Kitchen Surface That Cleans Itself?
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- ACSH Performs #22PushUps Challenge
- American Horror Story: First Ebola, Then Zika. Is Chagas Next?
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Single-celled fungi multiply, alien-like, by fusing cells in host
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal