The alternate medicine industry is about to be dealt a massive blow. Progressive Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) has decided not to run for re-election in 2014.
What does that mean? His political stonewalling of NIH studies that debunk pseudoscience woo can now come to an end. And hopefully someone at the NIH who cares more about science than politics can scuttle the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, which has been his pet crackpot project that all Americans have bankrolled to the tune of billions of dollars since 1998.
So if you are trying to study whether or not "the force" exists, you will have to hit up some other progressive in 2015. $2.5 billion in direct funding using someone else's money to promote shark cartilage for cancer treatment and other silliness is bad enough - but doctors have also considered Harkin a public health menace because he bashes real medicine and persistently endorses the 'alternative' kind as legitimate.
Nonetheless, the wonks at Science magazine lament his departure and call him a 'champion' of biomedical research, showing once again that in mainstream science media you get a free pass on being anti-science and promoting woo if you are a Democrat. After all, Pres. George Bush and a Republican Congress doubled funding for the NIH - that is being a champion of research - and Science magazine has never called them champions of anything.
Here is a question for his successor: What do you call 'alternative medicine' that survives double-blind trials? The answer is 'regular medicine'.
That's all they need to know and NCCAM will never be funded again.
Science Says, 'Good Riddance, Sen. Tom Harkin' - Real Clear Science
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- Will We Meet ET Microbes On Mars? Why We Should Care Deeply About Them - Like Tigers
- "If you look up a text on Quantum Electrodynamics you should find a Psi field for creating and destroying..."
- "You guessed alright, that is a page from the book...Cheers,T...."
- "Dear Anon,in 1994 neutrinos were not the main focus of the lab...Cheers,T...."
- "I did not ignore your 4x4 matrices comment, as I explained in the very message you were replying..."
- "I do not know which P5 meeting you attended, but in the mind of the current fnal director, fnal..."
- Geochronology and global context of the Charnian Supergroup
- Confirmation of a low pre-extensional geothermal gradient in the Grayback normal
- Scientists get set for simulated nuclear inspection
- Invisible blood in urine may indicate bladder cancer
- Sugar substance 'kills' good HDL cholesterol, new research finds