The alternate medicine industry is about to be dealt a massive blow. Progressive Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) has decided not to run for re-election in 2014.
What does that mean? His political stonewalling of NIH studies that debunk pseudoscience woo can now come to an end. And hopefully someone at the NIH who cares more about science than politics can scuttle the National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine, which has been his pet crackpot project that all Americans have bankrolled to the tune of billions of dollars since 1998.
So if you are trying to study whether or not "the force" exists, you will have to hit up some other progressive in 2015. $2.5 billion in direct funding using someone else's money to promote shark cartilage for cancer treatment and other silliness is bad enough - but doctors have also considered Harkin a public health menace because he bashes real medicine and persistently endorses the 'alternative' kind as legitimate.
Nonetheless, the wonks at Science magazine lament his departure and call him a 'champion' of biomedical research, showing once again that in mainstream science media you get a free pass on being anti-science and promoting woo if you are a Democrat. After all, Pres. George Bush and a Republican Congress doubled funding for the NIH - that is being a champion of research - and Science magazine has never called them champions of anything.
Here is a question for his successor: What do you call 'alternative medicine' that survives double-blind trials? The answer is 'regular medicine'.
That's all they need to know and NCCAM will never be funded again.
Science Says, 'Good Riddance, Sen. Tom Harkin' - Real Clear Science
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Doomsday Dashboard Makes Tracking The Apocalypse Convenient
- 2 New Species Of Primitive Fish Discovered
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Fighting Plagiarism In Scientific Papers
- Holistically Tuned - The Brain Sees Words As Pictures, Not A Series Of Letters
- The White House Plan To Combat Antibiotic Resistance
- Climate Change Is Not Causing Extreme Winters
- "With the Republicans in charge of Congress now, we're certainly having to get used to people with..."
- "Climate change? Are you buying the misuse of language and science? When did the climate not change..."
- "Except there was almost no war in the winter of 1939-40. Poland fell in two weeks before winter..."
- "I already agreed with you that cell phones are not and likely never have been a danger. I said..."
- "So, along with this ancient cosmic evolution, which is the probability that within a galaxy like..."