Temple psychologist Ingrid Olson, who dedicates her research to understanding human memory, has found a way to improve the recall of proper names - electricity.
Electric stimulation of the right anterior temporal lobe of the brain using transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) improved the recall of proper names in young adults by 11 percent - that will sure teach those kids.
My title is a little inflammatory, transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) is different than the electroconvulsive ("shock") therapy (ECT), made famous in movies.
"We know a lot about how to make people's memory worse, but we don't know very much about how to make people's memory better," said Olson. "These findings hold promise because they point to possible therapeutic treatments for memory rehabilitation following a stroke or other neurological insult."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- An Easy Problem
- Nobel Prize Validates Chinese Medicine? Nope.
- Thank You Guido
- Nobel Prize To Neutrino Oscillations
- Coincidence Or Conspiracy? Investigating If Believers Really See So Much Secret Design
- Prenatal BPA Exposures (Don’t) Affect Birth Weight
- Mother Jones Hates Scientists - And Their Bias Shows
- "Indeed, the name of the article is This Is the Lamest Defense of GMO Foods Ever and he false equivalences..."
- "Ah yes, Mother Jones where they don't hire anyone that believes GMOs aren't harmful to people and..."
- "Caucasians love to blame guns instead of the harsh realities of life in America that lead people..."
- "Dr. Henson used the identical term: So is this Nobel Prize for Tu’s discovery a signal that..."
- "I am making a stink because the story that is being circulated is inaccurate and misleading. ..."
- Why Is Mother Jones So Afraid Of Science? And Journalism?
- Weight-Loss Surgery Improves Health of Some Diabetics
- Ben Carson Bungles Again, Treating Cancer with Supplements
- No Vax, No School: US Supreme Court Backs NY State
- Remaking the Peanut to Make Schools Safer
- Ancient Chinese Medicine Not Magical, Nobel Prize or Not