Temple psychologist Ingrid Olson, who dedicates her research to understanding human memory, has found a way to improve the recall of proper names - electricity.
Electric stimulation of the right anterior temporal lobe of the brain using transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) improved the recall of proper names in young adults by 11 percent - that will sure teach those kids.
My title is a little inflammatory, transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) is different than the electroconvulsive ("shock") therapy (ECT), made famous in movies.
"We know a lot about how to make people's memory worse, but we don't know very much about how to make people's memory better," said Olson. "These findings hold promise because they point to possible therapeutic treatments for memory rehabilitation following a stroke or other neurological insult."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- Multi-meter Sea Level Rise This Century? That's Not A Consensus
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- Bees: Activists Remain Silent While This Pollinator Killer Decimates Millions
- For Now We See Through A Brewing Class, Darkly
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- "“We have a vested interest in creating panic, because then money will flow to climate science..."
- "Thanks, that makes sense, are you in agreement with these that I just found?http://www.reddit.com/r/AskPhysics/comments/2f8hsh/does_reflection_necessarily_redshift_photons/http..."
- "Hello Josh Bloom, I am happy to respond to your specific challenges. People readily drink ethanol..."
- "Oregon has some interesting laws for instance though you may elect to kill yourself you can't pump..."
- "Hi ThorYou said:This explanation seems to say that the doppler shift would be the same for large..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control