Temple psychologist Ingrid Olson, who dedicates her research to understanding human memory, has found a way to improve the recall of proper names - electricity.
Electric stimulation of the right anterior temporal lobe of the brain using transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) improved the recall of proper names in young adults by 11 percent - that will sure teach those kids.
My title is a little inflammatory, transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) is different than the electroconvulsive ("shock") therapy (ECT), made famous in movies.
"We know a lot about how to make people's memory worse, but we don't know very much about how to make people's memory better," said Olson. "These findings hold promise because they point to possible therapeutic treatments for memory rehabilitation following a stroke or other neurological insult."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To Solar System Exploration, Open Ended, Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Prohibition 2016: Assessing The UK's Psychoactive Substances Act
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- Anti-Science Beliefs On GMOs May Be Due To Knowledge Gap
- Silencing Cholera's Social Media
- 3 Reasons EPA Sided With Environmentalists Over Science On Methane
- Low Hormone Levels Linked To Obesity In Teens
- "You might be worrying about the wrong problem. Do you know any smart, highly educated people who..."
- "What could be more unscientific than denying people the right to know which ingredients in their..."
- "The good that Trump already does that is good for science is that he widens the PC-strangled overtone..."
- "Kites ad planes Balloons aren't the only way to stay aloft on Venus. Given the constant high wins..."
- "Correction, I say that 20 kg of algae solution was needed per person to provide all the oxygen..."
- Our Audience Is Up 700% – And Anti-Science Groups Are Going Nuts
- Tiny Vampires of the Ancient Seas
- Incentivizing Antibiotic Research
- Party Drug for Post-Surgical Pain Prevention
- Hey De Blasio-Get Off Your Sodium Podium!
- The Name Game: How Unethical Environmental Groups and Toxic Fanatics Scare You With Words
- Wind turbines on Galapagos replace millions of liters of diesel since 2007, meet 30 percent of energy needs
- Study shows patients require less painkilling medication after breast-cancer surgery if they have opiate-free anesthesia
- Quiet please in the intensive care unit!
- Premature babies may grow up to have weaker bones
- 90-90-90 HIV initiative would yield 'extraordinary returns' in South Africa