Temple psychologist Ingrid Olson, who dedicates her research to understanding human memory, has found a way to improve the recall of proper names - electricity.
Electric stimulation of the right anterior temporal lobe of the brain using transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) improved the recall of proper names in young adults by 11 percent - that will sure teach those kids.
My title is a little inflammatory, transcranial direct current stimulation (tDCS) is different than the electroconvulsive ("shock") therapy (ECT), made famous in movies.
"We know a lot about how to make people's memory worse, but we don't know very much about how to make people's memory better," said Olson. "These findings hold promise because they point to possible therapeutic treatments for memory rehabilitation following a stroke or other neurological insult."
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition Signatures Over 10% Of Total Votes Cast
- Better Brains With Beer
- Beneficial Bacteria May Protect Breasts From Cancer
- Some Celiac Disease May Be Due To Viruses
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Scientists Uncover Route For Finding Out What Makes Individuals Nice Or Nasty
- "However you might be interested to know, we have an interesting system in the Scottish Government..."
- "Right sorry that's probably based on my earlier version of the article and facebook posts. I got..."
- "There's the issue of the population. Even the Puerto Ricans that I work with have a low opinion..."
- "Good for you! Glad to see you've seen the light and are even going so far aa to pursue a degree..."
- "In today's world that is a problem. When the country founded by your ancestors is no longer..."
- Chemistry Can Help Roast the Perfect Coffee Bean
- What Happens To A Soccer Player’s Brain After Missing A Penalty Kick
- It’s Back to Shots for Flu Prevention
- ACSH Applauds Media Awareness of the Fentanyl Crisis
- Counting Bites Examined, to Help Decrease Food Intake
- The Safe And Unsafe Nutty Treats For Your Pup