NASA is fine with cute robots on Mars but if there is anything that fiascoes like the Constellation program and the James Webb Space Telescope have taught us, it's that NASA is not all that competent with big plans.
Projects that were once mission critical are now instead founded on the concept that there is zero tolerance for risk.
If we are really going to venture into the Final Frontier, the private sector is going to do it. But why would they? Does UPS want a big contract from NASA to do shipping? Are there enough rich tourists to fund vacations? What is the economy of scale on mining asteroids?
Tomorrow at 7:30 PM EDT/4:30 Pacific, "Cosmos" host Neil Tyson is going to lead a discussion on the privatization of space - and he doesn't even like that companies sell names of trillions of planets so we have some idea where he comes down on the matter.
The 2014 Isaac Asimov Memorial Debate at the American Museum of Natural History will explore this idea of “selling space”:
Neil deGrasse Tyson, Frederick P. Rose Director, Hayden Planetarium
Wanda M. Austin, President and CEO, The Aerospace Corportation
Michael Gold, Director of DC Operations and Business Growth, Bigelow Aerospace
John Logsdon, Professor Emeritus, Space Policy and International Affairs, George Washington University
Elliot Pulham, Chief Executive Officer, Space Foundation
Tom Shelley, President, Space Adventures, Ltd.
Robert Walker, Executive Chairman, Wexler&Walker Public Policy Associates
If you want to watch it streaming live, this link will be active tomorrow:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- These Humans Have Evolutionarily Adapted To Arsenic
- Women With Endometriosis Need More Support, Less Judgment
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Olive Oil Destroys Cancer Cells
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- "You've touched on something that drives me insane-- the under-medication of dying patients by hospitals..."
- "Tacitus, As you say, “All the twins (one assumes) shared the same environment, but the identical..."
- "Hank, Undoubtedly you are correct that some of the nominal increase in autism represents soft factors..."
- "I am not going to drag down the comments on an article going back and forth with someone who doesn't..."
- "That poorly written book wasn't just written in poor Greek, you must be thinking of the GFC. That..."
- Male images seen by left side of the brain, says study
- Gout linked to lower chances of developing Alzheimer's disease
- Statins increase risk of developing diabetes by 46 percent
- Healthy heart years gained by avoiding risk factors quantified
- New studies fail to find cardiovascular risk with testosterone therapy