I'm not one of the more fundamentalist types in the broad science community who had any issue with Francis Collins leading the NIH. His credentials are impeccable and the same people who were backflipping with glee over Stephen Chu as Energy Secretary despite his weird militancy about global warming seemed to mind that Collins liked to go to church. Not an issue for me, I was more worried about his overselling of personalized medicine.
If anything, I think Collins being an important science figure despite personal beliefs contrarian to 60% of scientists is a real endorsement of tolerance and diversity - something everyone claims to want , though most often they mean only for people they like.
Young people, and those with too much time on their hands, want to live in important times so they exaggerate the impact of minor things, like a religious Collins working for Obama, a guy who wasn't sure vaccines don't cause autism even last year - Collins is obviously only going to add to that kind of knowledge base.
There's no question a fundamentalist culture (religious or atheist) is a detriment to science - but we don't live in one, not even close; sorry, neo-atheists who think we are all a step away from forced Bible readings, and religious cranks who think Obama will institute forced gay porn zones.
But some people do live in a fundamentalist society and here is an example of it going to a weird place; namely a scientist claiming that Neil Armstrong proved that Mecca was the actual center of the world - and also that radiation emits from it, according to something they saw on the Web one time.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- A Racist On The Jews: Let The Donald Trump!
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- "Hi Robert! This has to be one of the best articles i have read in a very long time. I live in Norway..."
- "Mr walker i got on the nibiru hoax if it was real would be visible like the death star on the rogue..."
- "You are of course welcome to talk to me and if it helps to contact me via pm you can contact me..."
- "Oh, okay. It's definitely worth seeing your doctor if you haven't already. As an example of the..."
- "Im just panaking like mad dont no what to do who to turn to who to talk to. Zack..."
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers "the Big Question"
- The media is not helping in the battle against SIDS
- Busted Breast Cancer Myths
- SIDS Recommendations Evolving Beyond 'Back to Sleep'
- SIDS recommendations are evolving beyond 'Back to Sleep'