I'm not one of the more fundamentalist types in the broad science community who had any issue with Francis Collins leading the NIH. His credentials are impeccable and the same people who were backflipping with glee over Stephen Chu as Energy Secretary despite his weird militancy about global warming seemed to mind that Collins liked to go to church. Not an issue for me, I was more worried about his overselling of personalized medicine.
If anything, I think Collins being an important science figure despite personal beliefs contrarian to 60% of scientists is a real endorsement of tolerance and diversity - something everyone claims to want , though most often they mean only for people they like.
Young people, and those with too much time on their hands, want to live in important times so they exaggerate the impact of minor things, like a religious Collins working for Obama, a guy who wasn't sure vaccines don't cause autism even last year - Collins is obviously only going to add to that kind of knowledge base.
There's no question a fundamentalist culture (religious or atheist) is a detriment to science - but we don't live in one, not even close; sorry, neo-atheists who think we are all a step away from forced Bible readings, and religious cranks who think Obama will institute forced gay porn zones.
But some people do live in a fundamentalist society and here is an example of it going to a weird place; namely a scientist claiming that Neil Armstrong proved that Mecca was the actual center of the world - and also that radiation emits from it, according to something they saw on the Web one time.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- How Would Life Develop If Fundamental Physics Constants Were Different?
- 7 Ways To Make Your Science Video Popular On YouTube
- Nanophysics meets Medical Science: One contrast agent for six imaging techniques
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- ".He got invoked yesterday also. He is having a good week on Science 2.0...."
- "If I scroll down so that only the top fourth of the picture is on-screen, the dress appears to..."
- "You're an idiot. Ma Bell was protected by the ICC. Regulations protected Ma Bell’s monopoly by..."
- "Everything you just said was false...."
- "Anthropogenic climate change has become more local in Australia anyway over the last three decades..."