The second World Science Festival kicked off at Lincoln Center in New York City last evening with a birthday tribute to Edward O. Wilson, everyone's favorite ant man, and science fans fron the culture world along with, presumably, science fans from the science world.
What do you think was the high point of E.O. Wilson's 80th birthday celebration? "Happy Birthday" sung by 200 people in the lobby and the Abyssinian Baptist Church Choir? A politically incorrect tribute from Nobel laureate James Watson (more on that later)? Yo-Yo Ma playing the cello or a new Philip Glass composition? No, though that was all terrific.
The high point of his evening was finally getting to meet Bloggy, the science bear. Happy birthday, professor! Thanks for making myrmecology cool again. Now, all of you go read "Consilience" one more time in his honor.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- We Don't Hear Much About The 10,000 French Deaths At Gallipoli
- Columbia's Lame Oz Defense
- Yellowstone Volcanic System Four Times Bigger Than Thought
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- Patenting Big Thinking
- We've Forgotten The Trial Of Socrates: Excellence And Winning Aren’t The Same Thing
- WikiLeaks Emails Show Dr. Oz Puts Business First
- "I'm a concert pianist. Should I be giving flute lessons? ..."
- "I meant to say my wife mentioned some treatment for whatever that Dr Oz mentioned on his show...."
- "I'm no mental giant, but I picked up on the snake oil salesmanship qualities of Dr Oz years ago..."
- "Hi, good question. This post states that the carbon being used by the bacteria are from 20k years..."
- "Hal- One would think that any sensible person could smell thesnake oil even through their..."