The second World Science Festival kicked off at Lincoln Center in New York City last evening with a birthday tribute to Edward O. Wilson, everyone's favorite ant man, and science fans fron the culture world along with, presumably, science fans from the science world.
What do you think was the high point of E.O. Wilson's 80th birthday celebration? "Happy Birthday" sung by 200 people in the lobby and the Abyssinian Baptist Church Choir? A politically incorrect tribute from Nobel laureate James Watson (more on that later)? Yo-Yo Ma playing the cello or a new Philip Glass composition? No, though that was all terrific.
The high point of his evening was finally getting to meet Bloggy, the science bear. Happy birthday, professor! Thanks for making myrmecology cool again. Now, all of you go read "Consilience" one more time in his honor.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Prevent Alzheimer's Disease By Drinking Beer?
- Cometary Globule CG4 - From God's Hand To The Mouth Of The Beast
- Exposure To BPA – It’s Not What Some People Think
- Religious People View Science Favorably But Reject Some Theories - Just Like Everyone Else
- Outsourcing: 3 Ways To Stop Medical Research Brain Drain
- Spider-Man Webbing: How Many Calories Does It Take To Produce All That Silk?
- Battery Leasing And Better Charging Will Make Electric Cars Popular
- "Yes agree. If you hang around this site for any time you will find it easy to spot...."
- "Aha. Bad journalistic practice, IMNSHO. ..."
- "That's like psychohistory in Azimov's Foundation series... ..."
- "a politician by any other name is still a politician., it doesn't matter what the topic they have..."
- "Agreed. I believe Heinlein clearly identified those two groups as those who want people to be controlled..."
- Adropin: 'Feeding and fasting' hormone can improve insulin action
- Infants create new knowledge while sleeping
- Study: Blame men for political gridlock in Congress
- Ancient skull proves modern humans colonized Eurasia 60-70,000 years ago
- Old people: the demographic it's still okay to negatively stereotype