January 10th came and went last week. Did you notice? Perhaps you did if losing weight was part of your New Year's Resolution.
Because chances are that by day 10 you were off the wagon.
What could you give up for the entire year? New survey results show that Facebook and Twitter are easy to cast off but pizza, potato chips and french fries are far more difficult. Of the 1,000 individuals in the American general population surveyed, 25 percent said the loss of social media would make 2013 difficult while 39 percent said giving up pizza and other favorite foods would be hardest.
48 percent said the desire for pizza was strong within 15 days of their resolution. This is in line with conspiracy theories claiming that delicious food instead has an addictive chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly, as evidenced by "So I Married An Axe Murderer":
40 percent of those surveyed who didn't fulfill their resolution to eat healthier last year blame pizza for their slip-ups. When it comes to said slip-ups, 79 percent attribute them to either pizza (the 40 percent mentioned) or fried foods (39 percent).
Pizza companies know this so it is no surprise that the Sbarro company hired Kelton Research group to conduct this online survey between December 27th, 2012 and January 1st, 2013. It gave them the chance to tell conflicted dieters about their Sbarro Skinny Slice, now in stores to make your willpower wobble. It's 270 calories per slice and has peppers, mushrooms and onions and a little bit of cheese.
That pizza is sure to make most scientists lose weight. It has no meat. But if you have to have pizza and it doesn't matter if it's pizza you will like, go for it. Just don't eat a whole pie.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- Inhibiting Inflammatory Enzyme After Heart Attack Does Not Reduce Risk Of Subsequent Event
- Antarctic Sea Level Rising Faster Than Elsewhere
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- "Fresh example - how to make worthless pseudoscience by using meta-analysis:42. Jian Jin..."
- "To some degree the author's point about the use of brain research is true - particularly for some..."
- "I have bought edible insects a couple of times from Eat Grub and they've been great to serve at..."
- "What you describe is classical wave physics. However, photons are not classical objects, they are..."
- "god is dead i am god news flash you never had a soul if you did i own it now. its true most people..."
- Can action movies make you fat?
- Family dinners reduce effects of cyberbullying in adolescents
- Quality of US diet shows modest improvement, but overall remains poor
- Research letter: Viewers ate more while watching Hollywood action flick on TV
- Quality of US diet improves, gap widens for quality between rich and poor