January 10th came and went last week. Did you notice? Perhaps you did if losing weight was part of your New Year's Resolution.
Because chances are that by day 10 you were off the wagon.
What could you give up for the entire year? New survey results show that Facebook and Twitter are easy to cast off but pizza, potato chips and french fries are far more difficult. Of the 1,000 individuals in the American general population surveyed, 25 percent said the loss of social media would make 2013 difficult while 39 percent said giving up pizza and other favorite foods would be hardest.
48 percent said the desire for pizza was strong within 15 days of their resolution. This is in line with conspiracy theories claiming that delicious food instead has an addictive chemical that makes you crave it fortnightly, as evidenced by "So I Married An Axe Murderer":
40 percent of those surveyed who didn't fulfill their resolution to eat healthier last year blame pizza for their slip-ups. When it comes to said slip-ups, 79 percent attribute them to either pizza (the 40 percent mentioned) or fried foods (39 percent).
Pizza companies know this so it is no surprise that the Sbarro company hired Kelton Research group to conduct this online survey between December 27th, 2012 and January 1st, 2013. It gave them the chance to tell conflicted dieters about their Sbarro Skinny Slice, now in stores to make your willpower wobble. It's 270 calories per slice and has peppers, mushrooms and onions and a little bit of cheese.
That pizza is sure to make most scientists lose weight. It has no meat. But if you have to have pizza and it doesn't matter if it's pizza you will like, go for it. Just don't eat a whole pie.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- That Enormous Hole In The Universe Might Not Be Alone
- Standards Needed For Post-Conviction Review Of Forensic Evidence
- Temperature Records Study Shows Climate Models Underestimate Magnitude Of Natural Climate Wiggles
- Anti-Vaccine Beliefs Raced Around The World While Science Was Putting On Its Shoes
- Will Asteroid 2012 TC4 Hit Earth in October 2017?
- The Era Of The Atom
- Thorium Can Serve As A Nuclear Fuel For Commercial Electricity Generation
- "Istvan Szapudi of the Institute for Astronomy at The University of Hawaii at Manoa has found a..."
- "Spinning positive studies of an herbal medicine into an occasion for snide remarks at its users'..."
- "11 years? I think it's near 18 now, and the warm west coast is from the Warm blob off the coast..."
- "The Vaccine Injury act makes it much easier to get compensation. The legal bar is much lower than..."
- "That's still interestingly different from my guess. :) Cool! Thanks. Will you post the reference..."
- 85 percent of surgeons disregard breast screening recommendation, screen patients too much
- Universal donor plasma for trauma patients is feasible and can save lives
- Parent training significantly reduces disruptive behavior in children with autism
- No association found between MMR vaccine and autism, even among children at higher autism risk
- What happens when multiple sclerosis patients stop taking their medication?