For any of those that have not yet had the opportunity to see it (and have HBO), HBO will presenting its made-for-TV biopic on Temple Grandin this evening. It's a very well-done piece, and superbly acted by Claire Danes.
Ms. Grandin is arguably the most well known adult with autism, and has through the years become one of the most respected voices on autism and autism advocacy. Born in 1947, her autism was diagnosed when she was a child. At that time the so little was known about that disorder that most psychiatrists believed it was caused by cold, withholding “refrigerator mothers” that did not show enough affection towards their children. Temple's mother was anything but - and due to her nurturing upbringing and the guidance of a few farsighted teachers, Temple blossomed to her full potential and today has a PhD in animal science and is a professor at Colorado State University.
Ms. Grandin credits autism for her achievements, arguing that she would never have been so attuned to animal sensibilities or the fine points of agricultural engineering without the distinctive vision and hypersensitivity that comes with autism.
Temple Grandin also recently spoke at TED 2010. Video of her outstanding talk can be viewed below:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- "I no u put the link up of the soho cam but if nibiru was at the back of the sun we couldn't be..."
- "Okay those mysterious trumpet like sounds get trotted out for every Apocalypse story. They played..."
- "some are saying that's why there is so many videos on youtube so the whole world can see nibiru..."
- "Thanks Zee, and good point about trolls. Including people who like scaring other people just because..."
- "Potentially you could have a test tube sort of structure almost to the surface where a liquid is..."
- Tiny octopods catalyze bright ideas
- DNA repair protein BRCA1 implicated in cognitive function and dementia
- Research: Supervised injection facilities would be cost-effective in Toronto and Ottawa
- Reduced blood flow seen in brain after clinical recovery of acute concussion
- MRI reveals weight loss protects knees