Baking soda is one of those wonder substances with useful applications far beyond simple baked goods. We all know we can open a box and leave it in our fridge to combat odors. But as a result of innovative work done by Skyonic Corporation in Texas, baking soda may become one of our greatest weapons against carbon emissions and global warming as well.
Skyonic has developed a “post-combustion carbon capture and sequestration technology that works with any large-scale stationary CO2 emitter” (e.g.- coal, natural gas or oil fired power plant). The process removes heavy metals, acid gasses, and carbon dioxide from conditioned at-temperature flue gas. The carbon emissions are then stored as stable sodium bicarbonate (better-than-food-grade baking soda) for long-term storage as land or mine fill. The clean flue gas is then returned to the plants stack for release.
Skyonic's unique system traps 90 percent of the factory emissions, and mixes the carbon dioxide with the chemical sodium hydroxide, which transforms the gas into harmless baking soda. This ingenious new system is still in a pilot program, but early results seem promising – and could result in a lot of extra baking soda: By using this process at a typical 500 megawatt power plant, you'll end up with almost six hundred and fifty thousand tons of baking soda each year.
So what do we do with all of that extra baking soda? Well, as I mentioned before, baking soda happens to be one incredibly useful substance. Here are just a few household uses:
1. Put out fires - A handful of baking soda can safely put out small fires on stoves, carpets, etc.
2. Clean your teeth - Use a little bit of baking soda on your toothbrush after you've brushed to get your teeth extra white.
3. Cleans clothes - Add a little baking soda to your cycle, it takes out tough stains.
4. Use to clean certain dishes/containers - Use baking soda on food and drink containers to clean well. Works well with plastic items.
5. Use to clean things around the house - Baking soda is a great cleaning tool for almost anything. Toilets, counters, marble, garbage cans, sinks, showers etc.
6. Use to clean stainless steel pots and glass.
7. Use baking soda to break down tough dirty areas; dirt on a car, inside of barbecue etc.
8. Get rid of smells - Get rid of almost any smell with a little bit of baking soda.
9. Use baking soda to clean appliances such as dishwashers and coffee-makers.
10. Wash well with baking soda and apply for a stronger substitute then deodorant.
11. Sun-burn solvent: To relieve minor burns (such as a sun burn), use baking soda and water.
12. Gargle - Gargle baking soda for whiter teeth, fresher smell and it also heals sores.
13. Bug bites - Apply baking soda to bug, bee, wasp, ant or any kind of bites for a quicker heal.
14. Polish - Baking soda is a great polish for chrome, silver, marble furniture, piano keys.
15. Smooth skin - Use with water to create paste, apply to face, careful to avoid eyes and mouth, and leave on for 3 - 5 minutes, wash off. Your face will be noticeably softer.
But my personal favorite use for baking soda…? Good, old-fashioned baking. Here’s a recipe that uses baking soda (among other things) that makes pumpkin bread good enough to be enjoyed all year round.
Perfect Pumpkin Bread
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Vegetarian Carnivorous Plant...Wait, What?
- Family Holiday Survival: 12 Ways To Deal With That Climate Change Denier
- Wave-Particle Duality' And Quantum Uncertainty - Two Sides Of The Same Mystery?
- Enlightenment Finding Eternity In The Now
- How Does Prostate Cancer Happen?
- Falsifiability And The Integrity Of Physics
- Challenges for Orion and SLS: An Interview with GAO Director
- "Look, I don't understand the whole Nobel prize thing, but I can only present the data I know.  ..."
- "Thanks for an entertaining read and some new strategies. Playing with deniers and truthers is my..."
- "Track your Readings, Food Intake, Medications for better perspective of your diabetic condition..."
- "Herne, the Christian Bible and science harmonize, actually. ..."
- "Another 'herbs cure cancer' spammer. Obat Kanker Usus Alami (not verified) linked web page..."
- One in every three people with type 1 diabetes produces insulin years post-diagnosis
- Ninety-eight new beetle species discovered in Indonesia
- Journal of the American College of Cardiology notes most accessed papers
- Researchers discover new genetic anomalies in lung cancer
- Radiologist recommendations for chest CT have high clinical yield