Baking soda is one of those wonder substances with useful applications far beyond simple baked goods. We all know we can open a box and leave it in our fridge to combat odors. But as a result of innovative work done by Skyonic Corporation in Texas, baking soda may become one of our greatest weapons against carbon emissions and global warming as well.
Skyonic has developed a “post-combustion carbon capture and sequestration technology that works with any large-scale stationary CO2 emitter” (e.g.- coal, natural gas or oil fired power plant). The process removes heavy metals, acid gasses, and carbon dioxide from conditioned at-temperature flue gas. The carbon emissions are then stored as stable sodium bicarbonate (better-than-food-grade baking soda) for long-term storage as land or mine fill. The clean flue gas is then returned to the plants stack for release.
Skyonic's unique system traps 90 percent of the factory emissions, and mixes the carbon dioxide with the chemical sodium hydroxide, which transforms the gas into harmless baking soda. This ingenious new system is still in a pilot program, but early results seem promising – and could result in a lot of extra baking soda: By using this process at a typical 500 megawatt power plant, you'll end up with almost six hundred and fifty thousand tons of baking soda each year.
So what do we do with all of that extra baking soda? Well, as I mentioned before, baking soda happens to be one incredibly useful substance. Here are just a few household uses:
1. Put out fires - A handful of baking soda can safely put out small fires on stoves, carpets, etc.
2. Clean your teeth - Use a little bit of baking soda on your toothbrush after you've brushed to get your teeth extra white.
3. Cleans clothes - Add a little baking soda to your cycle, it takes out tough stains.
4. Use to clean certain dishes/containers - Use baking soda on food and drink containers to clean well. Works well with plastic items.
5. Use to clean things around the house - Baking soda is a great cleaning tool for almost anything. Toilets, counters, marble, garbage cans, sinks, showers etc.
6. Use to clean stainless steel pots and glass.
7. Use baking soda to break down tough dirty areas; dirt on a car, inside of barbecue etc.
8. Get rid of smells - Get rid of almost any smell with a little bit of baking soda.
9. Use baking soda to clean appliances such as dishwashers and coffee-makers.
10. Wash well with baking soda and apply for a stronger substitute then deodorant.
11. Sun-burn solvent: To relieve minor burns (such as a sun burn), use baking soda and water.
12. Gargle - Gargle baking soda for whiter teeth, fresher smell and it also heals sores.
13. Bug bites - Apply baking soda to bug, bee, wasp, ant or any kind of bites for a quicker heal.
14. Polish - Baking soda is a great polish for chrome, silver, marble furniture, piano keys.
15. Smooth skin - Use with water to create paste, apply to face, careful to avoid eyes and mouth, and leave on for 3 - 5 minutes, wash off. Your face will be noticeably softer.
But my personal favorite use for baking soda…? Good, old-fashioned baking. Here’s a recipe that uses baking soda (among other things) that makes pumpkin bread good enough to be enjoyed all year round.
Perfect Pumpkin Bread
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Paleo: In A Clinical Trial, Bread Made With Ancient Grains Could Benefit Heart Health
- Study Explains Mechanisms Behind Glioblastoma Influence On The Immune System
- A Book By Guido Tonelli
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- Diabetes: MiniMed 670G Hybrid Closed-Loop Insulin System Is A Waypoint To An Artificial Pancreas
- Celebrate Oktoberfest with Beer Chemistry
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?