I feel like I found this article with near-perfect timing, considering that I am starting a unit on genetics in my Biology classes. To recap: sadly, after scientists seemed to have successfully created a hybrid clone of an extinct goat (they had preserved cells from the last surviving animal who died 9 years ago), the only kid that survived to birth died shortly thereafter.
I think that one of the valuable lessons here is found in the numbers:
439 embryos were created.
57 were implanted into surrogate mothers.
1 survived to term.
0 newborn clones lived longer than 10 minutes.
Students often ask me, "What's the big deal about cloning? We've cloned so many animals, why is it so controversial?" Usually they are asking in reference to human cloning, of course. When I point out numbers like those above....it makes them stop and think.
Yes, cloning is great technology. Yes, scientists have made many advances, especially in recent years. And yes- for every successful clone, there are many, many clones that didn't make it. There is still so much that we don't know.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- Journalists - Please Fact Check Your "Doomsday" News Stories -They Terrify Young Children And Vulnerable People
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- DDoS war: How zombie fridges bit the internet in the a$$ today.
- A Racist On The Jews: Let The Donald Trump!
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- "Do you really believe all this bullshit you wrote? This is a very cheap pamphlet for a nazi. You..."
- "This planet is not a hoax. However you may visit this website for more references!..."
- "There are tens of thousands of professional astronomers - including 12,000 individual members of..."
- "NIBIRU HERE NIBIRU THERE NIBIRU BEING SPOTTED EVERYWHERE now tell me im wrong in fact i will go..."
- "Ok so what about the JESSE VENTURE person you ever heard of him like i said its called conspiracy..."
- Placebo: Bubbles Of Nothing Are Still Not Something
- People Who Take Drugs May Be Likelier to Commit Suicide
- Improved 'Screen Time' Guidelines Could Make Parents & Kids Happier
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values