I feel like I found this article with near-perfect timing, considering that I am starting a unit on genetics in my Biology classes. To recap: sadly, after scientists seemed to have successfully created a hybrid clone of an extinct goat (they had preserved cells from the last surviving animal who died 9 years ago), the only kid that survived to birth died shortly thereafter.
I think that one of the valuable lessons here is found in the numbers:
439 embryos were created.
57 were implanted into surrogate mothers.
1 survived to term.
0 newborn clones lived longer than 10 minutes.
Students often ask me, "What's the big deal about cloning? We've cloned so many animals, why is it so controversial?" Usually they are asking in reference to human cloning, of course. When I point out numbers like those above....it makes them stop and think.
Yes, cloning is great technology. Yes, scientists have made many advances, especially in recent years. And yes- for every successful clone, there are many, many clones that didn't make it. There is still so much that we don't know.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Sexual Fantasies: Threesomes Are Normal, Golden Showers Not So Much
- Ghost Light From Dead Galaxies - A Hubble Halloween
- Mediterranean Diet Linked To Better Kidney Health
- US Wildlife Bans On GMOs And Neonics Lack Transparency And Scientific Rationale
- Greenpeace Says Its GMOs Are Better Than Science's GMOs, Still Hates Golden Rice
- Cyclone Nilofar Looks More Like A Comet
- Game Theory: When Are Groups Social? Or Insufferable?
- "*Low* out-of-pocket payments for health care is precisely why health care is so expensive. Approximately..."
- "Always love reading your articles Hank :) and any knowledgeable person about science knows what..."
- "Ah - sorry, but regardless that this may be taken as disdain again by you, you seem to simply have..."
- "Twelve years in a major urban public school system, and I couldn't once bring myself to eat a school..."
- "Hardly a day goes by without some creative new take on the eternal Evil White Man meme. Without..."
- Battle of Britain: NGOs and scientists clash over proposal to loosen EU GMO restrictions
- Genetically modified clean energy from bacteria
- Designer babies: You can screen for cystic fibrosis but intelligence is a ways off
- Science as profane: What superstition of 1752 and 2014 share in common
- What’s so “natural” about “natural crop breeding”?
- Worried you have cancer? Take a Google pill!
- Report examines health care challenges for pregnant women enrolled in covered California
- NYU research: Majority of high school seniors favor more liberal marijuana policies
- ESA Frontiers November preview
- Sexual fantasies: Are you normal?
- Synthetic lethality offers a new approach to kill tumor cells, explains Moffitt researcher