I feel like I found this article with near-perfect timing, considering that I am starting a unit on genetics in my Biology classes. To recap: sadly, after scientists seemed to have successfully created a hybrid clone of an extinct goat (they had preserved cells from the last surviving animal who died 9 years ago), the only kid that survived to birth died shortly thereafter.
I think that one of the valuable lessons here is found in the numbers:
439 embryos were created.
57 were implanted into surrogate mothers.
1 survived to term.
0 newborn clones lived longer than 10 minutes.
Students often ask me, "What's the big deal about cloning? We've cloned so many animals, why is it so controversial?" Usually they are asking in reference to human cloning, of course. When I point out numbers like those above....it makes them stop and think.
Yes, cloning is great technology. Yes, scientists have made many advances, especially in recent years. And yes- for every successful clone, there are many, many clones that didn't make it. There is still so much that we don't know.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- Order Patterned With Chaos - How Climate Is Predicted For Decades - With Exact Forecasts Only For Days
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Russian scientists increase DVD storage capacity million times
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- Running Sounds May Contain Clues To Injury Prevention
- Are Marijuana Warning Labels Needed? Users Say Yes
- "I have not yet unpublished any of your comments here except just now, and all I did was to unpublish..."
- "Okay quick answer, no it is not real. See Debunked: Nibiru will hit Earth on [Insert Date..."
- "Blocking my comments? Cowardly, especially when you are loosing the argument. Again you can find..."
- "Your argument sounds very seductive, although it falls under the category of an appeal to authority..."
- "I just wanted to clarify your statement, When he went into space it was on top of a converted ICBM..."
- The Alzheimer's-Amyloid Hypothesis Confirmed? Not So Fast
- Abortion Rate in U.S. Falls 21% in One Decade
- Child Mummy May Change Timeline for Smallpox
- On Proposed Tanning Bed Ban for Teens, New Study Urges FDA to Act
- Fear Of Dying Got You Down? Retail Therapy Can Help
- It’s Not Brain Surgery, But do you Know What is? Brain Surgery!