I feel like I found this article with near-perfect timing, considering that I am starting a unit on genetics in my Biology classes. To recap: sadly, after scientists seemed to have successfully created a hybrid clone of an extinct goat (they had preserved cells from the last surviving animal who died 9 years ago), the only kid that survived to birth died shortly thereafter.
I think that one of the valuable lessons here is found in the numbers:
439 embryos were created.
57 were implanted into surrogate mothers.
1 survived to term.
0 newborn clones lived longer than 10 minutes.
Students often ask me, "What's the big deal about cloning? We've cloned so many animals, why is it so controversial?" Usually they are asking in reference to human cloning, of course. When I point out numbers like those above....it makes them stop and think.
Yes, cloning is great technology. Yes, scientists have made many advances, especially in recent years. And yes- for every successful clone, there are many, many clones that didn't make it. There is still so much that we don't know.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- Like Human Civilization? Thank Our Evil Side
- The Harmful Use Of Topical Steroids In India Is Out Of Control, Says Expert
- At The Edge Of Vision: Struggling To Make Sense Of Our Cluttered World
- "Oh not at all, thanks for asking. Ask away, if you have any other questions, delighted to help..."
- "thank u mr walker its nice to talk to someone with some knowledge hope I'm not getting on your..."
- "Yes it's amazing how bright it gets, especially Venus. It is about at its brightest around now..."
- "no ive got no binoculars wish I had now I was amazed wen I seen it this morning it was just so..."
- "Yes if you've been scared for some time, it has an effect on your body. You have to kind of reassure..."
- Study shows white matter damage caused by 'skunk-like' cannabis
- Cognitive behavior therapy can help overcome fear of the dentist
- Don't forget plankton in climate change models, says study
- Graphene microphone outperforms traditional nickel and offers ultrasonic reach
- New metric mapping top 10 European heat waves predicts strong increase in next 2 decades