I always like to hear who got the Nobel Prize (well at least the one in medicine, anyway- I am definitely not a physics person), because lately it is almost someone who researched something that I remember learning about in school, when it was "new".
This year, it's telomeres- the particular sequences on the ends of chromosomes that protect the actual genes from getting broken down. It's also nice to see 2 women getting the prize. Oh, and a man, too, don't want anyone to think I wasn't paying attention.
When I was skimming through my RSS feed after finding the announcement about the Nobel Prize, I came across this, about a "mini-Stonehenge" discovered near the original. While that news was interesting, it triggered a memory of a tacky tourist attraction we saw on our honeymoon: FOAMHENGE. It's a replica of Stonehenge, made out of...you guessed it- foam. We couldn't bring ourselves to pay money to see this. I think I would rather just go see the original if I was that interested, but apparently this Foamhenge is considered something of a work of art? And that's why I write about science and not art!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- The Daily Physics Problem - 1
- Avoid Showing The Jacksonville Jaguars And Other Ways To Optimize Monday Night Football
- The Daily Physics Problem - 3
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "Sorry if I'm not answering these questions very well. I find it really really hard to understand..."
- "Are you the previous Anonymous? Please can you add a name to your messages. I can understand being..."
- "Its just scary mr walker to hear about and read about so many are saying its real so many want..."
- "First, can I ask anyone who posts here as Anonymous to give a name, or internet handle of some..."
- "Should we be worried then keep saying September for its arrival and yes its been predicted in the..."
- Netflix Linked To Cancer
- The Ancient Chinese Secret For Removing Age Spots May Be Mercury
- A Closer Look At Dementia — Beyond the Memory Loss
- Solve Global Warming By Putting A Carbon Tax On…Meat?
- Significant Pain Significantly Increases Risk of Opioid Addiction
- What Pee and Poo Color Says About Your Health
- WSU researchers get unprecedented look at DNA damage
- Before animals, evolution waited eons to inhale
- US police killed or injured more than 55,000 people during 'legal interventions' in 2012
- Statins improve birth outcomes for mothers with an autoimmune disorder
- Changes in teenage brain structure provide clues to onset of mental health problems