I always like to hear who got the Nobel Prize (well at least the one in medicine, anyway- I am definitely not a physics person), because lately it is almost someone who researched something that I remember learning about in school, when it was "new".
This year, it's telomeres- the particular sequences on the ends of chromosomes that protect the actual genes from getting broken down. It's also nice to see 2 women getting the prize. Oh, and a man, too, don't want anyone to think I wasn't paying attention.
When I was skimming through my RSS feed after finding the announcement about the Nobel Prize, I came across this, about a "mini-Stonehenge" discovered near the original. While that news was interesting, it triggered a memory of a tacky tourist attraction we saw on our honeymoon: FOAMHENGE. It's a replica of Stonehenge, made out of...you guessed it- foam. We couldn't bring ourselves to pay money to see this. I think I would rather just go see the original if I was that interested, but apparently this Foamhenge is considered something of a work of art? And that's why I write about science and not art!
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- War On Doping And The Hypocritical Treatment Of Lance Armstrong
- How Marijuana Use Affects People With Bipolar Disorder
- Avoid These 3 Risk Factors, Gain 13 Years Of Quality Life
- The New York Times On Drugs - Wrong, Naive Or Misleading?
- Men Are More Narcissistic Than Women, Finds Review
- The Borexino Detector And Its Physics Results
- Poster Excerpts on Neutrino Physics
- "I think it was Penn Jillette who observed that if you applied the anti-doping rules to the Grammys..."
- "NICE ARTICLE PAUL. ..."
- "I think it would be very difficult to scientifically assess the effects of marijuana use on people..."
- "Actually that's exactly what the bible is all about real Aliens, not religion. So may i have one..."
- "Addiction is completely fake. Their goal is to push more people into 12 Step 'treatment' which..."
- The real message of the Australian Intergenerational Report: They won't be worse off
- Omega-3 fatty acids reduce inflammation, protect damaged heart after heart attack
- Marriage more likely to end in divorce when wives get sick
- Grand tree of life: clock-like trend in new species emergence and diversity
- 7 promising compounds in spider venom with potential to relieve chronic pain