- Teen Dating Violence: Girls Are More Likely To Attack Than Boys
Though sexual assault and dating violence in the academic and cultural world focuses most heavily on men, among teens there are more Asia Argento's than Twitter recognizes. In recent findings, 5.8 percent of boys and 4.2 percent of girls said they had ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 30 2018 - 12:53pm
- 'Boys Will Be Boys'? No, Adolescence Is A 20th Century Invention
Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s actions as a teenager are at the center of a public firestorm. “I’ve been really troubled by the excuse offered by too many that this was a high school incident, and ‘boys will be boys,’ said Sen. Chris Coons during ...
Article - The Conversation - Sep 27 2018 - 4:13pm
- Capitalism Has Been Conquered- Here Is Why Workers Should Take It Back
In the early days of industrial capitalism there were no protections for workers, and industrialists took their profits with little heed to anyone else. Following the growth of the labour movement, the establishment of trade unions and the founding of the ...
Article - The Conversation - Oct 9 2018 - 9:00am
- Accidents Aren't The Greatest Gun Worry For Youths- Male Violence Is
Anti-gun proponents like to produce headlines showing a young child accidentally shot another family member with a pistol, but that kind of cultural framing may be doing more harm than good, because a new study reaffirms what most gun owners knew: Gun harm ...
Article - News Staff - Oct 30 2018 - 4:24pm
- Ancient Andeans Modified Wild Tubers Into Potatoes, Then The Potatoes Modified Them Back
Recent DNA analyses show that ancient populations in the Peruvian highlands adapted wild tubers into potatoes- and then those potatoes in turn modified them in ways distinct from other global populations. Potatoes are native to South America and became an ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 9 2018 - 12:05pm
- How Anti-Science Activists Manipulate Twitter- And How You Can Help Science Fight Back
There is a reason that environmental groups and other anti-science activists out-earn the pro-science non-profit world by 1000X, and that reason is emotion. See a scientist be emotional or aggressive in defending their work and any number of people, includ ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 27 2018 - 4:33pm
- Gone With The Wind Is The Most Successful Movie Of All Time, But The Wizard Of Oz Is Most 'Influential'
There's no question "Gone With The Wind" is the most successful movie of all time, when you count tickets sold, but it's not the most influential. Nor is "Star Wars." A network analysis instead shows that title goes to "T ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 30 2018 - 3:31pm
- Silent Night: The Story Of The Carol That Led To The Christmas Truce Of 1914
Few Christmas carols evoke the season of peace and goodwill as readily as Silent Night. Two popular stories contribute to its appeal: one concerning the circumstances of its composition in Oberndorf, near Salzburg in Austria, and the other its role in the ...
Article - The Conversation - Dec 24 2018 - 8:00am
- Predicting Teen Rape: Age Difference, Socioeconomic Status, Other Violent Behavior
Lacking clairvoyant technology as in "The Minority Report", predicting teen rape is impossible, but there are risk factors that can be warning signs. A group of sociologists conducted interviews with victims from their university, a two-year col ...
Article - News Staff - Jan 3 2019 - 3:58pm
- Women Wear White To Promote Equality- But Other Colors Were Historically Important Also
During President Donald Trump’s Feb. 5 State of the Union address, scores of Democratic congresswomen wore white to pay tribute to suffragists and their fight for women’s rights. ...
Article - The Conversation - Feb 16 2019 - 9:00am