- Amazon Fires Are Not Depleting Earth's Oxygen Supply
Fires in the Amazon rainforest have captured attention worldwide in recent days. Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro, who took office in 2019, pledged in his campaign to reduce environmental protection and increase agricultural development in the Amazon, a ...
Article - The Conversation - Aug 27 2019 - 5:00am
- Burgundy Wine Grapes: A Climate Change Story
If you believe in medieval accounts of wine harvest dates, Burgundy grapes are in crisis. A new look at dates of grape harvest from the last 664 years says wine grapes in Burgundy, eastern France, have been picked 13 days earlier on average since 1988 tha ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 29 2019 - 10:50am
- From Washington To Maine, A Storm May Let You See The Aurora Borealis This Weekend
The colorful Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights) occur when charged particles from the sun interact with gases in Earth’s during darker winter months in high-latitude regions like Alaska, Scandinavia, and Iceland but a geomagnetic storm predicted for this we ...
Article - News Staff - Aug 30 2019 - 5:47pm
- What Would A Nuclear Winter Look Like? Science Fiction, That's What
What is old hype is new again, which is to say population bombs, starvation in Africa, nuclear plant meltdowns, and atomic destruction because an aggressive American president makes a wholesome dictator in Russia nervous and nuclear bombs start going off. ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Sep 2 2019 - 4:00pm
- Volatile Organic Compounds From Marijuana Farms Will Cause Ozone Levels To Increase
Biogenic volatile organic compounds produced by the cannabis plants during growth and reproduction, the same chemicals responsible for the pungent smell of a cannabis plant, also contribute to air pollution on a much larger scale, according to new research ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 18 2019 - 9:15am
- California Fires: Where There's Smoke There's PM 2.5 Junk Science
As I write this, our local school is closed due to concern about smoke inhalation. Other parts of the nation may not realize it but two severe wildfires broke out recently, in northern and southern California. If this had happened anywhere near New York Ci ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Sep 30 2019 - 10:04am
- Oprah Winfrey, Karl Lagerfeld, And More Celebrities With 10,000X More Carbon Emissions Just From Flying Than The Average Person
The jet-setting habits of Bill Gates and Paris Hilton mean that they produce an astonishing 10,000 times more carbon emissions from flying than the average person. This was the conclusion of my research mining their social media accounts (tweets, Instagra ...
Article - The Conversation - Oct 22 2019 - 11:53am
- The Pollution In Toronto's Subways
Though subways reduce overall pollution emissions in cities, what is good for society may not be good for the poor people who ride mass transportation. A new study finds that Canadian subways personal exposure to certain pollutants, and that Toronto has th ...
Article - News Staff - Oct 28 2019 - 4:38pm
- Arbitrary Targets Made The Paris Agreement Useless- And The US Does More Without Being Involved Than Russia And Asia Anyway
In 2014, the world's top polluter, China, told the United States president they unequivocally would not even discuss emissions caps or targets until 2030 and American speechwriters quickly tried to spin that into a positive. China had never even agre ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 5 2019 - 2:22pm