- Is "Groupthink" A Problem For Climate Science?
When the Australian federal environment minister, Sussan Ley, went snorkeling on the Great Barrier Reef in August, she told waiting reporters on the shore that she’d seen “amazing wildlife, fish, turtles, clams … a reef teeming with life”. Such an upbeat ...
Article - The Conversation - Sep 20 2019 - 5:00am
- A Lot Of People Have Impostor Syndrome- Here's How To Deal With It
Impostor syndrome is where people feel like frauds even if they are actually capable and well-qualified. A new group of interviews finds that impostor syndrome is quite common and uncovers one of the best-- and worst-- ways to cope with such feelings. ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 24 2019 - 10:07am
- Reduce Suicides By Intervening At...Animal Shelters?
HILLSBORO, Ore. — On Kimberly Repp’s office wall is a sign in Latin: Hic locus est ubi mors gaudet succurrere vitae. This is a place where the dead delight in helping the living. For medical examiners, it’s a mission. Their job is to investigate deaths an ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 26 2019 - 6:54am
- In An Experiment 'That Voice' Makes Modern Teens Less Likely To Respond To Moms- But In Real Life...
Older people often talk about how they knew they had gone too far with their mothers. While a father might yell more a mother's tone would change into "that voice" and they knew they had gone over an invisible line. ...
Article - News Staff - Sep 27 2019 - 9:10am
- Paracelsus Horror: Environmental Working Group Tapwater Claims Take Chemical Cocktail Nonsense To The Next Level
Environmental Working Group, the trial lawyer organization that claims modern pesticides are killing us but the old kinds labeled as "Organic"(™) create healthier families, has a new conspiracy tale out, this time that a "chemical cocktail& ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Oct 2 2019 - 11:57am
- Does Brexit Talk Make You Psychotic? You're Not Alone
Political events can take a serious toll on mental health- at least in one case. A man with a brief episode of acute psychosis convinced a doctor it was triggered by the 2016 Referendum on Brexit--the process of the UK leaving the European Union (EU), whic ...
Article - News Staff - Oct 2 2019 - 12:06pm
- Environmental Scientists Need Better Emotional Support, Argue Marine Biologists
The belief that scientists should be dispassionate observers and neutral resources for the public good is dangerously misguided, argue marine biologists in a Science letter. Environmentalists feel pain when they see destruction of nature and should be all ...
Article - News Staff - Oct 11 2019 - 8:34am
- Psych Tests Where You ‘Answer Without Thinking’ Promote Politically Correct Answers, Not Honest Ones
A new paper finds that instead of leading to more honest replies, presumably because people don't think about the response, time pressure questions actually increase the likelihood of socially desirable answers over honest ones. There’s a longstandin ...
Article - News Staff - Oct 14 2019 - 3:31pm