Science Education & Policy
- Fact Checking Elizabeth Warren's $11 Trillion Out-Of-Pocket Health Spending Over 10 Years Claim
By Shefali Luthra, Kaiser Health News. Promoting her much-discussed plan to create a single-payer “Medicare for All” health system, Sen. Elizabeth Warren emphasized a striking figure. “If we make no changes over the next 10 years, Americans will reach into ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 14 2019 - 10:37am
- Dr. Gottlieb, Tell Private Label Brands Not To Cave In To Non-GMO Project Extortion
When Dr. Scott Gottlieb was named as head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, the pro-science community cheered. Gottlieb had both academic and private sector experience, he had been both doctor and patient, and he had been a Deputy at FDA in the p ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 18 2019 - 3:56pm
- 5 Things Schools Can Do To Promote News Literacy
When it comes to news literacy, schools often emphasize fact-checking and hoax-spotting. But as I argue in my new book, schools must go deeper with how they teach the subject if they want to help students thrive in a democratic society. As a new poll show ...
Article - The Conversation - Nov 23 2019 - 6:01am
- 3 Key Issues For Incoming FDA Commissioner Stephen Hahn, M.D.
With endorsements from five previous FDA Commissioners and a Republican Senate deciding his fate, Stephen Hahn, M.D., is certain to become the next Commissioner of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. He's qualified, but most FDA heads have been(1). ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Nov 25 2019 - 11:31am
- GMOs Don't Hurt Anyone, But Opposing Them Does
How do you demonize scientists who added 3 genes to the 30,000 in rice in order to stop vitamin A deficiencies in poor countries with rice-dominated diets? There are zero pitfalls to it yet an elaborate, well-funded marketing campaign has been leveled agai ...
Blog Post - Hank Campbell - Dec 19 2019 - 6:21pm
- Government Penalizes Hospitals That Treat The Poor- And There Are More To Come
Last week, the Obama administration stated that it will fine over 2,600 hospitals because too many Medicare patients treated at those hospitals end up back in the hospital within 30 days of going home. Over 200,000 doctors have said they will no longer p ...
Article - News Staff - Dec 30 2019 - 10:02am
- Recreational Marijuana Purchases Without ID Are Common- 71 Percent Allowed It, Even For Kids
Though young people are able to obtain alcohol and drink it, their ability to buy alcohol at point of sale is almost nonexistent. That is not the case with recreational cannabis, where early adopter states have a shocking 37 percent rate of youth being abl ...
Article - News Staff - Dec 30 2019 - 11:16am
- The Republican Counterpart To The Democrats Green New Deal Won't Get Press But It May Be More Realistic
When it comes to the political divide in America, the key difference in science is that academia has mostly Democrats while private sector scientists are mostly Republicans. There are big tents in a two-party system so a liberal New York cop will have noth ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Feb 12 2020 - 6:01pm
- Cashew Spread Is Not Butter And States Are Closing Regulatory Loopholes FDA Will Not
Ever since President Clinton turned the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 into law, taking away federal authority over food and supplements unless bodies started dropping, the US Food and Drug Administration has been a little timid in doi ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Mar 3 2020 - 10:41am
- Bipartisan Legislation Hopes To Promote Science-Based Product Labeling And Packaging
Packages and labels can be a bit of a mess in the 21st century. What is GMO plastic? Who knows? Yet a company named World Centric is selling ZeroWare 2.0 Reusable Dishware- "alternative" tableware they note is not only free of melamine, which the ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Mar 3 2020 - 11:41am