Random Noise #17 : They Sure Fooled Me!
Well, they sure fooled me!
I like to think that I know a thing or two about science and engineering. Quite apart from that, I have read enough court transcripts to know when someone is telling porkies1. Or so I thought.
I was utterly convinced that the U.S.A. had really landed men on the moon. Everything seemed to fit. I recently wrote an article about the parallax problem. From any place on Earth at a given time and date, the moon is in a different part of the sky. So: to convince everyone on Earth that a live feed was coming from the moon, it had to come from the moon.
To my shame, I now have to admit that I am not as good at science as I thought I was. There is no way I am going to argue against Neil Armstrong. If he says the moon landings were fake, that's good enough for me. And he does, as you can read here. But I have to say, that was some hoax! It even fooled Hank, and that's a world class achievement by itself!
 - Porkies - Cockney rhyming slang: pork pies = lies.
livescience.com moon hoax
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How A Former Naturopath Can Help Unravel The Trickery of Alternative Medicine
- Nanotech: The Most Dangerous Science Least Carefully Done
- Can A New Rule Trigger A Second EU Referendum? Petition Signatures Over 11% Of Total Votes Cast
- A Billion Years Ago, What Did Earth's Ancient Magnetic Field Look Like?
- Finding All-Hadronic Top - Again
- Better Brains With Beer
- How A Woman With Amnesia Defies Conventional Wisdom About Memory
- "So how many people with HIV, HCV, Parkinson's, MS, Hansen's disease, etc etc etc are being cured..."
- "Hi Robert; Hope you are doing well. Just wanted you to know that I've put up a new video regarding..."
- "so in a nutshell basically they're not taking worries seriously..."
- "Sentence makes perfect sense. Has it been fixed?..."
- "If its based on signature on rocks, then the hypothesis is wrong. Because rocks form from molten..."
- Lunch Money: A Grotesque Insult to Doctors.
- Sensing Too Much Zika Exposure, Golfers Continue Olympic Exodus
- Cannabis Beverages: A New Way to Get High
- Got Zika? Thank an Environmentalist
- Magical Moron Moments: Burn Your Feet with Tony Robbins
- IARC is controversial – because they put ideology over science
- LGBT rights and protections are scarce in constitutions around the world, UCLA study finds
- Bacterial colonies in human body linked to presence of cancer in mouth and throat
- The Smithsonian celebrates the Panama Canal expansion
- What happens when you steam a planet?
- Clandestine black hole may represent new population