Random Noise #17 : They Sure Fooled Me!
Well, they sure fooled me!
I like to think that I know a thing or two about science and engineering. Quite apart from that, I have read enough court transcripts to know when someone is telling porkies1. Or so I thought.
I was utterly convinced that the U.S.A. had really landed men on the moon. Everything seemed to fit. I recently wrote an article about the parallax problem. From any place on Earth at a given time and date, the moon is in a different part of the sky. So: to convince everyone on Earth that a live feed was coming from the moon, it had to come from the moon.
To my shame, I now have to admit that I am not as good at science as I thought I was. There is no way I am going to argue against Neil Armstrong. If he says the moon landings were fake, that's good enough for me. And he does, as you can read here. But I have to say, that was some hoax! It even fooled Hank, and that's a world class achievement by itself!
 - Porkies - Cockney rhyming slang: pork pies = lies.
livescience.com moon hoax
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Researchers Created A Laser Bullet To See What It Would Look Like - And Here It Is
- Great Earthquakes Doubled In The Most Recent 10 Year Period - What That Means
- What Americans Fear Most Isn't Ebola Or Terrorism, It's...
- ECFA Workshop: Planning For The High Luminosity LHC
- The Comets Of Beta Pictoris
- Slavery In America: Back In The Headlines
- As The Weather Changes, So Do Beliefs About Climate Change
- "It would be very useful, if also deeply depressing, to collect all of the statements made by prominent..."
- "Trying to explain this to people can be infuriating. It really is a few of us arguing against..."
- "Hi Valerie, thanks for writing.If you look up papers on existential dread, you should find some..."
- "If journal articles like this one would reference the science and the data instead of the politics..."
- "people, the claim that: 1 you do not believe in god, 2 you exist QED atheists exist is fatuous..."
- National Wildlife Refuge System bans on GMOs and neonics lack transparency, scientific rationale
- Want better sperm? Eat more pesticides
- Beyond universal donors, some people are programed with no blood type at all
- Anti-conventional ag movement spurs Big Ag to look to organic pesticides
- Can people really inherit memories?
- An end to fat shaming? The 50 year DNA mystery of metabolic dysfunction may soon be solved