Random Noise #17 : They Sure Fooled Me!
Well, they sure fooled me!
I like to think that I know a thing or two about science and engineering. Quite apart from that, I have read enough court transcripts to know when someone is telling porkies1. Or so I thought.
I was utterly convinced that the U.S.A. had really landed men on the moon. Everything seemed to fit. I recently wrote an article about the parallax problem. From any place on Earth at a given time and date, the moon is in a different part of the sky. So: to convince everyone on Earth that a live feed was coming from the moon, it had to come from the moon.
To my shame, I now have to admit that I am not as good at science as I thought I was. There is no way I am going to argue against Neil Armstrong. If he says the moon landings were fake, that's good enough for me. And he does, as you can read here. But I have to say, that was some hoax! It even fooled Hank, and that's a world class achievement by itself!
 - Porkies - Cockney rhyming slang: pork pies = lies.
livescience.com moon hoax
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Neil Tyson On The Politics Of Science Denial
- Global 'Roadmap' Shows Where To Put Roads Without Costing The Earth
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- Brain Size Matters When It Comes To Remembering
- Wockhardt Is First Indian Pharmaceutical Company To Get FDA QIDP Status
- Low Carb Vs. Low Fat Diets: Which Is Better?
- Caffeine Syndrome: Energy Drinks Linked To Heart Problems
- "You don't think science media is a lot better about calling out anti-science on both political..."
- "From what I have seen over the years on Science 2.0 I regard LagrangiansForBreakfast and Ed brown..."
- "Edison's superior lamp filament was made of carbon, not tungsten. In 1906, the General Electric..."
- "Those days are long gone seriously ?..."
- "I also am not John Lee, nor Stephen M, which I felt you were implying in this article due to our..."
- The key to drilling wells with staying power in the developing world
- Cannabis withdrawal symptoms common among adolescents treated for substance use disorder
- WSU 'deadly force' lab finds racial disparities in shootings
- EGFR carcinogenic role in liver decoded
- CMOS biomimicry: Biomimetic photodetector 'sees' in color