Random Noise #17 : They Sure Fooled Me!
Well, they sure fooled me!
I like to think that I know a thing or two about science and engineering. Quite apart from that, I have read enough court transcripts to know when someone is telling porkies1. Or so I thought.
I was utterly convinced that the U.S.A. had really landed men on the moon. Everything seemed to fit. I recently wrote an article about the parallax problem. From any place on Earth at a given time and date, the moon is in a different part of the sky. So: to convince everyone on Earth that a live feed was coming from the moon, it had to come from the moon.
To my shame, I now have to admit that I am not as good at science as I thought I was. There is no way I am going to argue against Neil Armstrong. If he says the moon landings were fake, that's good enough for me. And he does, as you can read here. But I have to say, that was some hoax! It even fooled Hank, and that's a world class achievement by itself!
 - Porkies - Cockney rhyming slang: pork pies = lies.
livescience.com moon hoax
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Are Insects The Future Of Food?
- Neurons Rewrite Their DNA On The Go
- The Evolutionary Psychology Reason Some People Will Be Anti-GMO
- LAWS And The Autonomy Of Killer Robots
- Screen For Celiac Disease In High-Rsk Groups Such As Diabetics, Anemics And Down's Syndrome
- Searching For The A Boson
- What The Hell Is GNC Selling Now?
- "Joe- I would have a much easier time responding to you had you written in English, but I'll do..."
- "Interesting. If he were simply anti-GMO, he could plausibly be a doctor still. Medicine, as a profession..."
- "Ha! Quite nice. There is a lot of wisdom in Di Maggio's words. But I would bet a dime that the..."
- "As the legendary baseball player Joe DiMaggio aged and his athletic legacy was secure, people asked..."
- "Too bad, I will continue to use it.T...."
- Incomes are rising and more people will want air conditioning - we need viable green energy
- 7 percent: Landmark hydropower report from DOE
- Wear goggles: Children's eye injuries from airsoft guns up sharply
- Tidal tugs on Teflon faults drive slow-slipping earthquakes
- Low birth rate: Claims about the decline of the West are exaggerated
Books By Writers Here