Random Noise #17 : They Sure Fooled Me!
Well, they sure fooled me!
I like to think that I know a thing or two about science and engineering. Quite apart from that, I have read enough court transcripts to know when someone is telling porkies1. Or so I thought.
I was utterly convinced that the U.S.A. had really landed men on the moon. Everything seemed to fit. I recently wrote an article about the parallax problem. From any place on Earth at a given time and date, the moon is in a different part of the sky. So: to convince everyone on Earth that a live feed was coming from the moon, it had to come from the moon.
To my shame, I now have to admit that I am not as good at science as I thought I was. There is no way I am going to argue against Neil Armstrong. If he says the moon landings were fake, that's good enough for me. And he does, as you can read here. But I have to say, that was some hoax! It even fooled Hank, and that's a world class achievement by itself!
 - Porkies - Cockney rhyming slang: pork pies = lies.
livescience.com moon hoax
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Questions a Surface Pro 3 user has about Windows 10.
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- Multiple Sclerosis Patients Benefit From Exercise
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Mutational Robustness: Why Duplicate Genes Remain In The Genome
- Why Japan’s Deadly Ontake Eruption Could Not Be Predicted
- "Lol, I don't have any problem with that...."
- "There is only one scientific understanding of the neuron-behavior linkage: Kandel et al spent 30..."
- "No wonder you have a problem comprehending climate change!..."
- "There are many truths of which the full meaning cannot be realized until personal experience has..."
- "Ha ha ha ROFL!..."
- The Lancet: New drug achieves significant additional cholesterol-lowering in people with inherited high cholesterol on statins
- Delayed introduction to gluten appears not to prevent celiac disease in at-risk infants
- Teen pregnancies, abortions plunge with free birth control
- B and T cell-targeting drug ameliorates chronic graft-versus-host disease in mice
- Clinical trial evaluates heterologous prime/boost regimens in preventative HIV vaccination