Random Noise #17 : They Sure Fooled Me!
Well, they sure fooled me!
I like to think that I know a thing or two about science and engineering. Quite apart from that, I have read enough court transcripts to know when someone is telling porkies1. Or so I thought.
I was utterly convinced that the U.S.A. had really landed men on the moon. Everything seemed to fit. I recently wrote an article about the parallax problem. From any place on Earth at a given time and date, the moon is in a different part of the sky. So: to convince everyone on Earth that a live feed was coming from the moon, it had to come from the moon.
To my shame, I now have to admit that I am not as good at science as I thought I was. There is no way I am going to argue against Neil Armstrong. If he says the moon landings were fake, that's good enough for me. And he does, as you can read here. But I have to say, that was some hoax! It even fooled Hank, and that's a world class achievement by itself!
 - Porkies - Cockney rhyming slang: pork pies = lies.
livescience.com moon hoax
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Captured: The Sound Of An Atom
- Keytruda: FDA Approves Melanoma Drug That Uses Immune System To Fight Cancer
- Are E-Cigarettes Less Harmful? Yes And No
- Game Of Thrones Weather: Winter Is Coming Vs. You Know Nothing, Jon Snow
- Meet Graphene's Sexy New Cousin Germanene
- Usurped By Legend: A Review Of Matthew Gavin Frank’s ‘Preparing The Ghost’
- "More precisely, I write on the spinorial space-time (SST):BICEP2 Data, CMB B-modes, Inflation,..."
- "As to other Higgs states might be found by future LHC runs, there are also models of Higgs as quark..."
- "Who is more likely to be the crackpot? Likely the one who refuses to answer questions. It demonstrates..."
- "I would love to see the northern lights again...."
- "Hello Tommaso, and thank you for this answer. Fourty years ago, Sergio Fubini, a Piedmotense born..."