AstraZeneca has probably the best antibiotic pipeline in the industry. It's also a business they no longer want to be in.
Their departure would follow on the heels of Pfizer exiting that segment, leaving GlaxoSmithKline and Merck.
Why? Well, pharmaceuticals in general in crisis. I have likened it to the US steel industry in the 1970s. Critics think if they are still making money, it must be okay and they can hammer on them indefinitely. But that isn't how business works. If government-controlled academia has to take over pharmaceutical development, we are doomed.
Credit: Life Sciences Foundation
Antibiotic resistance happens, there is no escaping it. To combat that, we need new antibiotics, plain and simple. But for regulatory bodies and anti-science activists, drug companies are open season for cultural sniping.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron is setting up a task force to come up with a policy for antibiotic resistance. Meanwhile, the company with the best products on the horizon is in the UK - and trying to jettison that business.
The solution seems simple: stop treating drug companies like they are the enemy. Development is horrifically expensive, they get a short window to sell it before it goes generic, and they are criticized for trying to make their money back. If anything goes wrong despite a hundred million dollars in tests, they are sued.
That's not a return on investment anyone wants to risk.
Can David Cameron Save AZ's Antibiotics? by David Shlaes
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Poisons Chemists Hate, But You Just Ate
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- A New Target For Machado Joseph Disease Treatment
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicide_crisis_lines Just as a heads up for anybody reading..."
- "maybe if I told the person to read through your blog and perhaps just try and assure him that this..."
- "What can I do or say that could help?..."
- "I no people that have thought about commiting suicide because of this nibiru I don't think I could..."
- "No, I'm not saying you have to take my word for it. I'm saying with just a bit of common sense..."
- Type-2 Diabetes Drug Ineffective for Obese, Type-1 Teens
- Insulin Pill Could Revolutionize Diabetes Treatment
- For Hypertension Patients, Nearly Half Lack Proper Care
- Antibiotic Resistance: Beginning of the End?
- Give to ACSH on Giving Tuesday!
- Global Energy Balance Network and Coke: What Emails Reveal
- Photonic 'sintering' may create new solar, electronics manufacturing technologies
- How does your garden grow? For cancer patients, small gardens could bring big benefits
- Unique study maps political orientation of all 50 US states over time
- After hip-replacement surgery, medication use decreases
- Red means 'go' to therapeutic viruses