AstraZeneca has probably the best antibiotic pipeline in the industry. It's also a business they no longer want to be in.
Their departure would follow on the heels of Pfizer exiting that segment, leaving GlaxoSmithKline and Merck.
Why? Well, pharmaceuticals in general in crisis. I have likened it to the US steel industry in the 1970s. Critics think if they are still making money, it must be okay and they can hammer on them indefinitely. But that isn't how business works. If government-controlled academia has to take over pharmaceutical development, we are doomed.
Credit: Life Sciences Foundation
Antibiotic resistance happens, there is no escaping it. To combat that, we need new antibiotics, plain and simple. But for regulatory bodies and anti-science activists, drug companies are open season for cultural sniping.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron is setting up a task force to come up with a policy for antibiotic resistance. Meanwhile, the company with the best products on the horizon is in the UK - and trying to jettison that business.
The solution seems simple: stop treating drug companies like they are the enemy. Development is horrifically expensive, they get a short window to sell it before it goes generic, and they are criticized for trying to make their money back. If anything goes wrong despite a hundred million dollars in tests, they are sued.
That's not a return on investment anyone wants to risk.
Can David Cameron Save AZ's Antibiotics? by David Shlaes
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Mindfulness Is Not A Waste Of Time
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To The Solar System - Open Ended Exploration With Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Malnutrition Results From More Than Just Inadequate Diet
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- Voluntary Birth Control To Stop Climate Change - Or Else
- "I didn't think to add, of course you can also share sterilized distilled water with an ETI - if..."
- "this must be mystery, Cat Mystery. lol..."
- "Vampire are not real, and can never be. This stuff is limited to movies only...."
- "Milk is so tasty. Soy, Oy! CO2 is fertilizer for plants. We need more of it. Meat is tasty too..."
- "Both the Pacific Salmon Forum and the Cohen Commission agree there is scant evidence farming salmon..."