AstraZeneca has probably the best antibiotic pipeline in the industry. It's also a business they no longer want to be in.
Their departure would follow on the heels of Pfizer exiting that segment, leaving GlaxoSmithKline and Merck.
Why? Well, pharmaceuticals in general in crisis. I have likened it to the US steel industry in the 1970s. Critics think if they are still making money, it must be okay and they can hammer on them indefinitely. But that isn't how business works. If government-controlled academia has to take over pharmaceutical development, we are doomed.
Credit: Life Sciences Foundation
Antibiotic resistance happens, there is no escaping it. To combat that, we need new antibiotics, plain and simple. But for regulatory bodies and anti-science activists, drug companies are open season for cultural sniping.
UK Prime Minister David Cameron is setting up a task force to come up with a policy for antibiotic resistance. Meanwhile, the company with the best products on the horizon is in the UK - and trying to jettison that business.
The solution seems simple: stop treating drug companies like they are the enemy. Development is horrifically expensive, they get a short window to sell it before it goes generic, and they are criticized for trying to make their money back. If anything goes wrong despite a hundred million dollars in tests, they are sued.
That's not a return on investment anyone wants to risk.
Can David Cameron Save AZ's Antibiotics? by David Shlaes
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Hugh Hefner's Wife Was Not Poisoned By Breast Implants
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- The Daily Physics Problem - 2
- The Daily Physics Problem - 4
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- "Charles, first, you are not alone, I've come across many people who are scared out of their wits..."
- "Charles, oh, that's no problem, just stating your beliefs. So, right, I think many of those who..."
- "Anonymous, Just remember keep a clear head! Do what you just did, read up look for contradictions..."
- "Thanks charles also been reading that astronomers have just discoverd a new dwarf planet out beyond..."
- "Anonymous, I think you should not worry about something that you cant see with your own eyes. I..."
- Chemical etching method helps transistors stand tall
- Measure of age in soil nitrogen could help precision agriculture
- Effectiveness of the WHO cancer pain relief guidelines published by Dove Medical Press
- Hospital data helps predict risk of pneumonia after heart surgery
- New University of Montana study quantifies morel mushroom abundance after wildfire