Another disabled person denied a transplant because of his disability. Another petition in hopes of changing the hospital's decision (go sign it, please).
After the last time, with Mia Rivera (click on her name to read the good news that her mother will get to give Mia a kidney), the disability community came out in full force to support the Rivera family, and it's happening again, thankfully, with blogger after blogger writing about Paul Corby's story.
Will this outpouring of outrage make the same kind of difference this time? We can hope. But one thing's certain, if we don't, as a community, come out strongly and forcefully for families going through this kind of discrimination, it will never end, never stop, and it will be someone we know and love.
Yes, resources are often deemed "scarce" and the costs of transplantation are high, but people have intrinsic value, and autism and other related disorders SHOULD NEVER BE the determining factor as to whether a person gets on the transplant list.
For other bloggers covering this, please see the feeds on the autism blogs directory.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- ATLAS Higgs Challenge Results
- Radical Rethink: Sugars Are The Only Cause Of Tooth Decay
- The Chicxulub Meteorite Killed The Dinosaurs But Made Forests Great
- It's Almost 2015 - So Where Is My Hoverboard?
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Genetically Modified Wheat, Without The GMO Drama
- No books for you! City Colleges of Chicago Students.
- "Being self-interested doesn't necessarily, or even usually, equate to acting unethically. OTOH..."
- "Cool. We can see that same effect in my image...."
- "Man, am I glad I don't go to an office where I have to wear two ties...."
- "Please explain what kind of modification you find natural and acceptable. Do you like red grapefruit..."
- "That's why biologists say survival of the fitter instead - if a bear is chasing us, I don't need..."
- Global shift away from cars saves US$100 trillion, eliminates 1,700 MT of CO2 pollution
- 'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
- World Alzheimer Report 2014 reveals persuasive evidence for dementia risk reduction
- The Lancet: Scientists use modern forensic techniques to identify most likely cause of King Richard III's death
- Urine HPV test could offer non-invasive alternative to conventional smear, improve screening uptake