Parents of children with neurological conditions and disorders and mental health issues are often faced with the frightening and difficult decision of whether to medicate for specific issues and behaviors. Parents are already stressed, worried, and expecting the worst when they walk into a psychiatrist's office, and it doesn't help when they've already been through the gamut of pediatricians, psychologists and other health professionals who have an opinion on the diagnosis of mental health issues in children and the role medication should play in the treatment.
A new book by an experienced psychiatrist who specializes in treating children and adolescents has been released that will make these decisions easier on parents. Information is the key to control of a situation--the more information you have, the more control you feel, and the better your decisions will be. When Kids Need Meds: Everything a Parent Needs to Know About Psychiatric Medications and Youngsters by Dr. Henry A. Paul is a straightforward, easy to read guide to the most common mental health issues and neurological conditions in children and the medications used most often to treat these conditions and issues.
Dr. Paul is the kind of doctor we as parents all wish we were dealing with: honest, empathetic, and informative. He lays everything out in his book in an orderly fashion, discusses the most common meds, the dosages, the potential side-effects, as well as the different ways the medications may be used. He draws not only on studies of the medications effectiveness, but also on his extensive clinical experiences.
He removes the anxiety that not knowing causes parents. It's a must-have in a parent's library.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- It's Life, Jim, But Not As We Know It
- Whole Food Diet Linked To Greater Cognitive Dysfunction In Alzheimer’s
- Men With Short Index Fingers And Long Ring Fingers Are Nicer To Women
- Cruithne: Earth's Other 'Moon' Could Reveal Mysteries Of The Solar System
- "I agree, let's do what all those lawyers working at environmental groups want and revert back to..."
- "I don't see any data showing a slowdown at the poles which are now warming at three times faster..."
- "I see these hacks are still trying to pretend that gene-splicing can benefit something other than..."
- "Some physics still dream of such experiments. Make experiments, no tests! But the way, was it possible..."
- "I appreciate that climate scientists are now beginning to recognize an element of natural variation..."
- Robust scientific evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome is a biological illness
- Life 'not as we know it' possible on Saturn's moon Titan?
- For patients with brain tumors, insurance status linked to differences in patient safety and quality of care
- Anti-stroke drugs, minus the side effects
- Local media coverage positive toward local businesses