Cosmology has been crossing my transom. I've been getting press releases from the new online Journal of Cosmology. Below is a sample. They have a respectible team and, frankly, a kick-ass background image for their website (shown below).
And, they have a novel economic model-- a $35 submission fees, plus a $150 fee if published. Given most academic journals are free to submit but have fees upwards of $1000 to publish, it could be seen as a breakthrough in open journals. However, much as any writing gig that charges a submission fee, I am worried they are more focused on the cash than the science.
Tuesdays at The Satellite Diaries and Friday at The Daytime Astronomer (twitter @skyday)
The Origins of Life Explained:
We are Not Alone, and this is How Life Begins
A revolutionary series of discoveries ushers in a new paradigm in our understanding of how life began. In this month's issue of the online Journal of Cosmology, Dr. Michael Russell and colleagues, of NASA, JPL, and the California Institute of Technology, have detailed a bold new theory, supported by considerable evidence, demonstrating how life emerged in the tempestuous water-world that was our planet four billion years ago. In the same edition of the Journal of Cosmology, Dr. Russell's work receives near unanimous support from 12 independent scientists who report on the evolutionary stages taken by life, right from its emergence in a warm and bitter submarine spring spewing hydrogen-rich waters into a carbonated ocean, through the process of metabolism, onto the RNA world, to the first viruses, and bacteria to animals, humans and consciousness.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- ATLAS Higgs Challenge Results
- Radical Rethink: Sugars Are The Only Cause Of Tooth Decay
- The Chicxulub Meteorite Killed The Dinosaurs But Made Forests Great
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Genetically Modified Wheat, Without The GMO Drama
- It's Almost 2015 - So Where Is My Hoverboard?
- No books for you! City Colleges of Chicago Students.
- "That's why biologists say survive of the fitter instead - if a bear is chasing us, I don't need..."
- "I grew up in Dodgertown - it was Dodgertown even before they moved to LA - so I have always been..."
- "I confess to being a Dodger's fan. Lifelong. And the Dodgers have occasionally won the (so-called)..."
- "No one objected to that while even one Think Progress reader was up in arms about slamming them..."
- "Survival of the fittest always applies (fit = ability to produce viable offspring). The thing is..."
- The Lancet: Scientists use modern forensic techniques to identify most likely cause of King Richard III's death
- Urine HPV test could offer non-invasive alternative to conventional smear, improve screening uptake
- Diabetes complications make patients more likely to fall down stairs
- Study shows users of insulin pumps are at 29 percent lower risk of death compared with patients on insulin injections
- Focus on treatment costs, value: Less radiation for elderly women with early breast cancer