Cosmology has been crossing my transom. I've been getting press releases from the new online Journal of Cosmology. Below is a sample. They have a respectible team and, frankly, a kick-ass background image for their website (shown below).
And, they have a novel economic model-- a $35 submission fees, plus a $150 fee if published. Given most academic journals are free to submit but have fees upwards of $1000 to publish, it could be seen as a breakthrough in open journals. However, much as any writing gig that charges a submission fee, I am worried they are more focused on the cash than the science.
Tuesdays at The Satellite Diaries and Friday at The Daytime Astronomer (twitter @skyday)
The Origins of Life Explained:
We are Not Alone, and this is How Life Begins
A revolutionary series of discoveries ushers in a new paradigm in our understanding of how life began. In this month's issue of the online Journal of Cosmology, Dr. Michael Russell and colleagues, of NASA, JPL, and the California Institute of Technology, have detailed a bold new theory, supported by considerable evidence, demonstrating how life emerged in the tempestuous water-world that was our planet four billion years ago. In the same edition of the Journal of Cosmology, Dr. Russell's work receives near unanimous support from 12 independent scientists who report on the evolutionary stages taken by life, right from its emergence in a warm and bitter submarine spring spewing hydrogen-rich waters into a carbonated ocean, through the process of metabolism, onto the RNA world, to the first viruses, and bacteria to animals, humans and consciousness.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is That A Real Patient Or A Junkie? Now There's An App For That
- Antarctic Sea Level Rising Faster Than Elsewhere
- Inhibiting Inflammatory Enzyme After Heart Attack Does Not Reduce Risk Of Subsequent Event
- How The Higgs Became The Target Of Run 2 At The Tevatron
- How Neuroscience Is Being Used To Spread Quackery In Business And Education
- You Are Ready To Eat Insects If You Have These Characteristics
- MOOCs: Learning About Online Learning, One Click At A Time
- "Fresh example - how to make worthless pseudoscience by using meta-analysis:42. Jian Jin..."
- "To some degree the author's point about the use of brain research is true - particularly for some..."
- "I have bought edible insects a couple of times from Eat Grub and they've been great to serve at..."
- "What you describe is classical wave physics. However, photons are not classical objects, they are..."
- "god is dead i am god news flash you never had a soul if you did i own it now. its true most people..."
- Can action movies make you fat?
- Family dinners reduce effects of cyberbullying in adolescents
- Quality of US diet shows modest improvement, but overall remains poor
- Research letter: Viewers ate more while watching Hollywood action flick on TV
- Quality of US diet improves, gap widens for quality between rich and poor
Books By Writers Here
About Us |