The drinking habits of the people in your extended social group play a major role in determining how many adult beverages you consume, says researchers writing in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
The authors suggest this social phenomenon could have implications for clinical and health interventions. Social networks could be used to exploit positive health behaviors and further support group interventions.
In the study, self-reported alcohol intake over time followed changes in the alcohol intake of the respondents' social contacts. The researchers found that a person was 50 percent more likely to drink heavily if a person they are directly connected with also drinks heavily and 36 percent more likely to drink heavily if a friend of a friend drinks heavily. The impact extended up to three degrees of separation.
Researchers used data from the Framingham Heart Study, which followed 12,067 people for more than 30 years and helped to define the patterns in social networks of other health issues such as obesity, smoking, and sexually transmitted diseases.
"We've found that the influence of your friends and people you have connections with can affect your health just as much as your family history or your genetic background," said Nicholas Christakis, MD, PhD, Professor of Medicine at Harvard University and lead author of the study. "With regard to alcohol consumption, your social network may have both positive and negative health consequences, depending on the circumstances."
Citation: Rosenquist et al., 'The Spread of Alcohol Consumption Behavior in a Large Social Network', Ann Intern Med, April 2010, 152:426-433
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Why This New "Planet X" Is No Threat To Earth :).
- Double Dose Of Bad Earthquake News
- From The Great Wall To The Great Collider
- Top Secret: On Confidentiality On Scientific Issues, Across The Ring And Across The Bedroom
- Would New Planet X Clear Its Orbit? - And Any Better Name Than "Planet Nine"?
- Here's How To Avoid The Gout, Ebenezer
- The Greenhouse Effect Fallacy
- "Ask me on quora, visit my profile Robert Walker, and click message me. You can join quora easily..."
- "I didnt mean to waste your time and i apologize i was genuinely just asking wether it was real..."
- "Does anyone know if planet nine is one of the two planets Carlos de la Fuente Marcos predicted..."
- "its nice articles..."
- "There are many sex toys on the market. If you want to have , you will have to pick the best toys..."
- Keeping Babies Safe from ‘Tourniquet’ Hair
- Magnesium Matters, But You’re Already Getting Enough
- Here’s Why Surge in Hepatitis B Cases is No Surprise
- Whooping Cough Booster Declines Rapidly Over 4 Years
- Unapproved Stem Cell Therapies, a Public Health Menace
- Enjoying the Sun’s Vitamin D, While Blocking Skin Cancer