A new study published in Cell Metabolism says it has increased the lifespan of middle-aged mice by 12% using a combination of three amino acids as supplements.
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) have extended life span in yeast but this is the first time these amino acids have been shown to work in mammals, the researchers say.
In their study, some mice were fed a BCAA-enriched mixture (BCAAem) that contained the three amino acids (Leucine, isoleucine and valine) and it increased their average life span, improved muscle, and provided enhanced physical endurance. They also reported increased activity of SIRT1 in the mice, called the 'longevity' protein by some, and increased numbers of mitochondria, the 'power plants' of the cell.
Will it work in humans? Hard to know yet but an anti-aging role for BCAAs in any mammal is a good start.
Citation: Giuseppe D'Antona, Maurizio Ragni, Annalisa Cardile, Laura Tedesco, Marta Dossena, Flavia Bruttini, Francesca Caliaro, Giovanni Corsetti, Roberto Bottinelli, Michele O. Carruba, Alessandra Valerio, Enzo Nisoli, 'Branched-Chain Amino Acid Supplementation Promotes Survival and Supports Cardiac and Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Middle-Aged Mice', Cell Metabolism, Volume 12, Issue 4, 362-372, 6 October 2010 DOI: 10.1016/j.cmet.2010.08.016
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Robot Tongue Identifies The Correct Beer Every Time
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Your Probiotic Probably Has Gluten
- Did The Scottish Settle Iceland A Century Before The Norse?
- Baby Pacifier May Be Source Of Infant Exposure To Endocrine Disruptor
- Rotating Or Mixing? Science Determines The Best Way To Slow Herbicide-Resistant Weeds
- InstantShoe - Adjustable Customized Footwear Uses Memory Shape Composite
- "Hank,I am not sure if you were the reason for the PNAS thing. I remember learning about the..."
- "64. Combo of Overweight, High Sodium Intake Speeds Cell Aging in Teens. March 20th, 2014 http://blog..."
- " This pretty well destroys the Myth of second hand smoke: Lungs from pack-a-day smokers safe for..."
- "This is a good start, but describing the waste stream of nuclear power in terms of carbon production..."
- "Knowing this would a mitochondrial superoxide like MitoQ be beneficial or harmful?..."
Books By Writers Here
About Us |