A new study published in Cell Metabolism says it has increased the lifespan of middle-aged mice by 12% using a combination of three amino acids as supplements.
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) have extended life span in yeast but this is the first time these amino acids have been shown to work in mammals, the researchers say.
In their study, some mice were fed a BCAA-enriched mixture (BCAAem) that contained the three amino acids (Leucine, isoleucine and valine) and it increased their average life span, improved muscle, and provided enhanced physical endurance. They also reported increased activity of SIRT1 in the mice, called the 'longevity' protein by some, and increased numbers of mitochondria, the 'power plants' of the cell.
Will it work in humans? Hard to know yet but an anti-aging role for BCAAs in any mammal is a good start.
Citation: Giuseppe D'Antona, Maurizio Ragni, Annalisa Cardile, Laura Tedesco, Marta Dossena, Flavia Bruttini, Francesca Caliaro, Giovanni Corsetti, Roberto Bottinelli, Michele O. Carruba, Alessandra Valerio, Enzo Nisoli, 'Branched-Chain Amino Acid Supplementation Promotes Survival and Supports Cardiac and Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Middle-Aged Mice', Cell Metabolism, Volume 12, Issue 4, 362-372, 6 October 2010 DOI: 10.1016/j.cmet.2010.08.016
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- CERN And LIP Openings For Graduate Students In Physics - Good $$$
- Single Top Production At The LHC
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- Dietary Restriction, Circadian Rhythm, And Long Life
- End Racist Sexism At US Universities Now
- Our Ethical Responsibilities To Baby Terraformed Worlds - Like Parents
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- " What makes this time around more significant than 2003? or 2008? or 2012? Again, what are your..."
- "Don't forget, he lives in a different time zone than the majority of the people who post here...."
- "I hope that wat pete421 person is saying is not true mr walker and u or astronomers are not lying..."
- "take it u cant answer my question mr walker ..."
- "so then zeit u don't belive this nibiru then is that wat u are saying ..."