A new study published in Cell Metabolism says it has increased the lifespan of middle-aged mice by 12% using a combination of three amino acids as supplements.
Branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) have extended life span in yeast but this is the first time these amino acids have been shown to work in mammals, the researchers say.
In their study, some mice were fed a BCAA-enriched mixture (BCAAem) that contained the three amino acids (Leucine, isoleucine and valine) and it increased their average life span, improved muscle, and provided enhanced physical endurance. They also reported increased activity of SIRT1 in the mice, called the 'longevity' protein by some, and increased numbers of mitochondria, the 'power plants' of the cell.
Will it work in humans? Hard to know yet but an anti-aging role for BCAAs in any mammal is a good start.
Citation: Giuseppe D'Antona, Maurizio Ragni, Annalisa Cardile, Laura Tedesco, Marta Dossena, Flavia Bruttini, Francesca Caliaro, Giovanni Corsetti, Roberto Bottinelli, Michele O. Carruba, Alessandra Valerio, Enzo Nisoli, 'Branched-Chain Amino Acid Supplementation Promotes Survival and Supports Cardiac and Skeletal Muscle Mitochondrial Biogenesis in Middle-Aged Mice', Cell Metabolism, Volume 12, Issue 4, 362-372, 6 October 2010 DOI: 10.1016/j.cmet.2010.08.016
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Questions a Surface Pro 3 user has about Windows 10.
- Epigenetics Of Being Without Electricity For A Few Days
- Top Mass: CMS Again On Top!
- Multiple Sclerosis Patients Benefit From Exercise
- Why Japan’s Deadly Ontake Eruption Could Not Be Predicted
- The Enemy Of Archaeology Is Not People, It's Salt
- Women Scientists Get Vocal About Top Billing On Twitter
- "If there's one thing I can't bear to see, it's follow us on twitter. Why anybody would want to..."
- "I don't see Microsoft abandoning touch on Surface Pros, it is a huge selling point of the device..."
- "Why not just run it in a VM? You've got Hyper-V on your Surface Pro 3. That's what I'm planning..."
- "I hope you are right about that when I install it. Let's just say this. While MS's..."
- "If you look carefully, you'll see that when it asks you about switching to tablet mode, it also..."
- Gene interacts with stress and leads to heart disease in some people
- Wild ducks take flight in open cluster
- Results of large-scale roll out of combination treatment for kala-azar in Eastern Africa
- Long-acting insulin is safer, more effective for patients with Type 1 diabetes
- All directions are not created equal for nanoscale heat sources