Quick, which states have the most philosophical exemptions from vaccines, religious states or the more atheist states?
Answer: the states with more atheists per capita - because in America they share a political and cultural demographic that is inherently anti-science. But I have good news for those anti-science people; an actual religious person has filed for a philosophical exemption, which means they can now claim anti-vaccination beliefs are 'bipartisan', just like anti-science beliefs about GMOs are bipartisan if 2 members of Congress out of 55 calling for warming labels are Republican.
Dina Check, a Catholic, says she wants a religious exemption from vaccines for her child. Now, I have read whole books on Vatican II and while it has completely messed up the modern church, nowhere in there does it or a Pope say vaccines are bad. Sure, they are against condoms (correctly - those are awful) and the Pill (they should reconsider that, it is awesome) but not vaccines. Of course, this is a New York City Catholic. Like Secretary of State John Kerry, lots of northeastern Catholics are the a la carte kind - they pick and choose what they like from a menu, just like they do with science, that is why John Kerry can support abortions and then go to communion without any of that famous Catholic guilt. And also why Dina Check can hurt her kid and feel like she has a moral standing, even though the actual Roman Catholic church disagrees.
As Tracie Egan Morrissey at Jezebel writes, this seems to be sort of a ruse; Check had tried to get an exemption on medical grounds and was denied. Gastrointestinal problems and vaccines? Debunked a decade ago. You can see what kind of crackpot we are dealing with already.
Of course, the libertarian mentality says government should not be forcing kids to have vaccines and this is forcing; the child cannot go to school financed by the public without the vaccines. But she wouldn't be allowed in school wearing a Nazi shirt or carrying a gun either. There are limits to personal freedoms, even under the Constitution. You can't yell 'fire!' in a crowded theater, an admittedly government-heavy Supreme Court found (Oliver Wendell Holmes is the fawned-over progressive Justice who also believed eugenics was completely okay) and if you bring leprosy into the US today, you will find your Constitutional rights rather limited.
Maybe, if she really thinks vaccines are "invasive and unnatural substances", she can move to California and join her fellow believers - a school here has almost no children vaccinated, a startlingly low 23 percent (Science Left Behind, pp. 110-113). The Waldorf School of the Peninsula in California's San Francisco Bay Area also has almost as few religious people as it has Republicans, but their anti-science beliefs should make up for it.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Alleged Perversion of Geoff Marcy and Sexual Harassment.
- Could You See Moon City Lights Or A Greenhouse From Earth? Just For Fun
- Hand And Arm Movement To Quadriplegic Patients Restored
- To Make EU Food Sector Renewable Energy Viable, Less Meat And More...organic Veggies?
- 'Blind Analysis' Used In Physics Could Reduce Bias In Social And Life Sciences Papers
- An Easy Problem
- Osteoporosis: Therapy Reduces The Risk Of Fragility Fractures By 40 Percent
- "The events are not statistically independent! My definition of (statistical) dependence is the..."
- "Hi,sorry but saying the events are independent is different from saying as you imply above the..."
- "With five increases in magnitude, they are dimmer by a factor of 100. I just looked up the..."
- "Quite the contrary - my reasoning is that of a statistician and yours that of a physicist. That..."
- "So cinnabar is non-toxic, because it's natural, when processed in the magical TCM way? Interesting..."
- ACSH Talks Science Outreach At The Western Plant Health Association Meeting
- OxyContin-for-Kids Debate, Now National, Intensifies
- Golden Rice Moves Closer to Reality in Asia
- C. Diff. Can Be Controlled, With Relative Ease
- FDA-Approved Test for Meningitis is a Home Run
- Trends In Smoking – Chinese Men In Peril, American Women Get Better Cessation
- Social networks can motivate people to exercise more
- Hospitals sicken many by withholding food and sleep
- Ancient rocks record first evidence for photosynthesis that made oxygen
- EpiPens: Though anaphylaxis is rare, accidents are common
- To reach CO2 goals without returning to the Dark Ages combine technologies with stable policies