Ahoy maties, how the time flies. It is "Talk Like A Pirate Day" once again and the science communities be awash in pirattitude.
Or not, perhaps 'tis just me.
But if it's not just me, and the little Buccaneer in you is also seeking others to celebrate with and to find out more information on this important event, abandon all hope ye who blog here because I just don't have a lot more than you could find in 4 seconds of a Google search.
Talk Like A Pirate Day began, so the legends go, in 1995, when John 'Ol Chumbucket' Baur and Mark 'Cap'n Slappy' Summers' were engaging in a friendly game of tenpins or raquetball or whatever it is pirates do and one of them yelled "Arrrgh!" in pain. A holiday was born.
So it was September 19th, 1995, you ask? Not at all, but that was Summers' ex-wife's birthday, reason enough to cause him pain, and it was the only day on the calendar that didn't already have something important happening, like 'What if Cats&Dogs Had Opposable Thumbs Day?' (March 3rd) or Happy Brandied Fruit Day (October 20th).
Yes, "Chase’s Calendar of Events" has more than 12,000 awareness days, which is tough to fit into a year containing only 365 days. So they took what they could get.
"Talk Like A Pirate Day" first came to my attention because Fount Of All important Wisdom Dave Barry wrote about it and at least 8 other people now feel the same way, so every year we celebrate by making meaningless pirate-related blog posts and using phrases it is reasonably certain no actual pirates ever used.
So join with me. Here are some handy catchphrases:
"Surrender your booty" (of course, but use this judiciously)
"Would you like to haul some keel?" (ditto)
Okay, they are all to be used judiciously, namely not at work or at home to anyone except that one person you should be saying them to...
Actually, just stick with "aye", arrrrgh!" and "ahoy matey" - I refuse to be responsible for your relationships.
Need more science pirattitude?
Want To Become A Pirate? Go To MIT
What Blackbeard The Pirate Can Teach Us About Economics And Politics
Piratology: The Science Of Swashbuckling
A New Golden Age Of High Seas Piracy?
Piratology: Free Market in Pirate Hunting?
Was The Recent Credit Crunch Caused By Modern Day Pirates?
Somali Pirates Who Actually Look Like They Could Be In 'Pirates Of The Caribbean'
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Bang !! 13 TeV - The Highest Energy Ever Achieved By Mankind ?!
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- WISE J224607.57-052635.0, The Most Luminous Galaxy In The Universe
- Tanzania's Disappearing Serengeti
- Non-Joulian Magnetostriction May Energize The World
- NaSt1 - One-Of-A-Kind 'Nasty' Star
- Blue Buffalo Admits Its Pet Food Contains The Poultry Byproduct It Ridicules In Competitors
- "Dear all,thank you for your thoughts. As it often happens, the global common knowledge of a pool..."
- "I would like to point out, it my understanding that Marianne J. Middelveen has never stated she..."
- "Let’s see. Speed of light equal roughly 3 × 105 km per second (or one foot per nanosecond)..."
- "I simply just want to say thank you for this article and those who have commented. I believe what..."
- "There is no solution that has no front-end or back-end cost. We don't do enough basic research..."
- Vaccines developed for H5N1, H7N9 avian influenza strains
- European Medicines Agency recommends full approval of ibrutinib to treat Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinemia
- In Northern Ireland, sectarianism has become sextarianism
- RegeneRx Phase II Dry Eye Trial results
- How schizophrenia risk gene DISC1 affects the brain