I confess I have never been to Maui or any other part of Hawaii. Part of that is my age - I am still young enough to do fun stuff and so I have had run-ins with Turkish police, the Bulgarian mafia and even set a record at the Escape&Evasion course for officers at Ft. Gordon, GA, but I have never been to Hawaii.
Like the World's Biggest Ball of Yarn, it is something I can do when I am older.
But part of it is also lack of interest. Culturally, Hawaiians are regarded as the most racist people in the US - they hate everyone white most of all but they also pretty much hate everyone. Knowing that makes it a little more difficult to have fun, since employees at the hotel could be spitting in my fruity umbrella drink or whatever people consume on Hawaiian vacations.
But I would never have expected they hate living there, since generally the weather is regarded as the reason to go to Hawaii. But Maui is apparently miserable. So miserable they kill themselves. A lot.
Suicide rates have dropped a lot in the US since the 1950s and recent statistics show an unexpected duo at the low end - New Jersey and Washington, DC have the fewest suicides, under 7 per 100,000. Nevada, the home of gambling and high heat, is 23/100,000. The US national average is just under 11.
But Maui, in Hawaii, has a whopping 93/100,000. Yeah, that's right, the suicide rate in Maui is 13 times higher than New Jersey, where popular culture leads us to believe that the whole state is filled with "Snookie"s and "The Situation"s and that might make me want to end things if I lived there. And it isn't just Maui. Kauai has 88 deaths per 100,000 residents, Hawaii island itself has 83 and Oahu has 54.
So now I have a new reason not to visit Hawaii. Not only do I not want to die now, I don't want to die ever. So I will either become a transhumanist cyborg with my brain in a robot exoskeleton chassis lording it over ordinary humans or I will sit in a throne in my tomb and make my descendants fight my Lich for their inheritance.
Me, somewhere in Pennsylvania, presumably around 2070. Want my comic book collection? Come and get it.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Crossref To Accept Preprints In Change To Long-standing Policy
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- A Filter That Shaped Evolution Of Primates In Asia
- Wildlife Loss In Tropical Forests Is Bad News For Everyone
- 'Super Males' Emerge From Male-dominated Populations, Study Finds
- Beekeepers Can Be Hazardous To Bees
- Glaucoma Drug Delivery Device Meters Out Eye Medication For Six Months
- "Right - the chances that I know more about that than the examiner are very high anyway :)In any..."
- "So is this thing real then or not read somewhere saying it will hit around September this year..."
- "This is NOT my goal. ... My goal is ... a number that can be added, subtracted, multiplied, and..."
- "Is anyone aware that you have to have 80% villous (spelling?) atrophy to get a celiac diagnosis..."
- "Hello MathGeek:Thank you for stating your starting position so clearly:This is NOT my goal. I also..."
- Temple study examines whether compression stockings can prevent post-thrombotic syndrome
- Research collaboration IDs serum biomarkers that predict preclinical IBD development and complications
- 'Super males' emerge from male-dominated populations, study finds
- Immunization rates climb when pediatricians have easy access to vaccination records
- IU-led study reveals new insights into light color sensing and transfer of genetic traits