It's that time of year again - All Hallows Eve - and that means an upsurge in witch sightings which inevitably leads to impromptu witch trials.
As much as we appreciate that the residents of Salem do not passively sit back and wait for our just and benevolent God to find Mercy on the souls of witches, we think some guidelines are in order for the corporeal world so we want to clarify some things about the Court of Oyer and Terminer.
Beware wily seductresses and their demonic incantations!
Already in this year of Our Lord 1692, ye good citizens were able to uncover over 100 cases of witchcraft. That may sound like a high number of outsiders but everyone knows that once you let one witch in, they all swarm, so officials are not surprised. Widow McDonald, with her keen perception, uncovered 11 herself in the form of annoying teenagers.
Recent increases in awareness have not been without obstacles in resolution. Five women uncovered the witchery of Giles Corey in April and it took until September to crush him to death with stones, despite Exodus clearly stating "Thou shall not suffer a witch to live." We have seen the problems and are working on it.
To help speed up the deaths of witches, we are implementing the following: British common law says that a person is innocent until proven guilty but witches are not people, so we have resolved to adapt the progressive, modern inquisitorial approach versus the more conservative adversarial system. We have also resolved that, in addition to confession or two eyewitness testimonies, spectral evidence may also be considered. Witch Marks and the Touching Test are also completely acceptable.
We received a petition to allow witches to be burned rather than hanged and we have considered the matter and denied it. The last thing we need is for our fair city to get the reputation we burn people; once that kind of rumor starts it never leaves you. We are not pagan savages, we hang people, which has been scientifically proven to be the most humane way to send witches to Hell.
For more details, please see this outstanding work by Barrister Lyonette Louis-Jacques
We hope that this answers your questions and you enjoy this Hallowed Evening.
Jebediah Campbell, Esquire
Salem, Massachusetts, 1692
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- More Electricity In Developing Nations Had Little Impact On Climate Change
- Amenhotep III: Ancient Egyptian Mummies Didn't Have Spinal Arthritis
- Ebola Transmission Via Public Transport
- From Mindless Physics To Physics Of Mind
- #GAMERGATE Style Harassment Does Not Happen in the Male Dominated Sciences
- 24 hours with Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 3
- The Resource Curse: Science Cities Suffer
- "The first paragraph of your response is describing an ecological correlation, which I acknowledged..."
- "Robert H. Olley, Let's have a big party, maybe Thomas Dunkan's relatives being declared Ebola free..."
- "Nice bit of news for us all:Ebola crisis: Nigeria set to be declared free of virusRead about the..."
- "But it never stands still, how is that boring. To stagnate within a belief like religion that does..."
- "I was hard wired as in raised JW. We switched at the death of 2 of my sisters, when flowers were..."
- Could GM plants replace airport security scanners?
- Natural Resources Defense Council sues EPA to block rollout of Dow Enlist Duo GMO system
- Enviros file suit to block new Dow AgroSciences GMO herbicide and seeds
- Couples can protect children from devastating mutations with new IVF methods
- Food 2.0: Will farmers be able to meet the ecological challenges ahead?
- General Mills’ Cascadian Farm launches ‘bee-friendly’ campaign, GMO critics unimpressed
- Genetic variant protects some Latina women from breast cancer
- Blind cave fish may provide insight on eye disease and other human health issues
- Head Start program benefits parents
- Heart rate may predict survival and brain function in comatose cardiac arrest survivors
- Study shows medication is frequently, unintentionally given incorrectly to young children