Philosophy & Ethics
- For World Philosophy Day, Here Are 3 Women You’ve Probably Never Heard Of In The Field Of Big Consciousness
Ask anyone to name a philosopher and they’ll likely name a man. So, let’s turn the spotlight on three women: Mary Calkins, May Sinclair, and Hilda Oakeley. They each defended “ idealism ” – the idea that consciousness composes, or somehow pervades, the un ...
Article - The Conversation - Nov 21 2019 - 9:05am
- Death Anxiety Seems To Be Universal- Do We Also Suffer Birth Anxiety?
Many people feel anxious about the prospect of their death. Indeed, some philosophers have argued that death anxiety is universal and that this anxiety bounds and organizes human existence. But do we also suffer from birth anxiety? Perhaps. After all, we ...
Article - News Staff - Nov 22 2019 - 4:31am
- Citizen Scientists Should Be Included As Authors On Journal Papers
Though the largest telescopes are controlled by governments, a large part of the time new discoveries are made by amateur astronomers. "Amateur" is a negative word now but at the turn of the 20th century it wasn't. Sherlock Holmes was an ama ...
Article - News Staff - Dec 4 2019 - 11:18am
- What Virtues, And Why?
Here comes another post on ethics! This one is, I must admit, somewhat meta-ethical, despite my recent post about the limited value of meta-ethical discussions when it comes to debates in first-order ethics. As I pointed out in the discussion that followed ...
Article - Massimo Pigliucci - Jan 3 2020 - 1:58pm
- Is It Immoral To Oppose The Use Of Pesticides?
If you were to ask a group of medical professionals to name the most significant public health achievements of the past century, antibiotics and widespread vaccination against infectious diseases would almost certainly top the list. ...
Article - Henry I. Miller - Jan 6 2020 - 10:15am
- True Health Initiative: How Epidemiologists Walter Willett And Frank Hu Use Targeted Harassment To Prevent Criticism
The True Health Initiative (THI) describes itself as a nonprofit devoted to “fighting fake facts and combating false doubts to create a world free of preventable diseases, using the time-honored, evidence-based, fundamentals of lifestyle and medicine.” Th ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jan 17 2020 - 4:22pm
- Environmental Lawyers At NRDC Sue To Have Higher CO2 Emissions
Meleah Geertsma, a senior attorney in the midwestern US for Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC)- yes, they have so many attorneys they have titles like "Senior" and for geographical regions- says they are suing the federal government...again ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jan 21 2020 - 1:35pm
- What The Coronavirus Government Lockdown Might Mean For The Future Of Employment
Because of concerns about spreading coronavirus, tens of millions of people are working from home that didn't before. ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Mar 19 2020 - 6:36pm
- Dennis Kucinich Got Big Payday From Center For Food Safety To Promote Their Clients
Center for Food Safety, a controversial litigation group that has been shown on numerous occasions to be conspiring to manipulate the public about American agriculture, is in the news again. This time for paying former Democratic Congressman, former race-b ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Mar 24 2020 - 1:50pm
- Do No Harm? Doctors Are Giving Out 9X As Many Hydroxychloroquine Prescriptions, And That Puts People Who Need It At Risk
The antimalarial drug chloroquine (analogue hydroxychloroquine) is also successfully used to treat lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, and autoimmune diseases said to have similar biological mechanisms as COVID-19 and, lacking any remedies besides what can be don ...
Article - Hank Campbell - Jun 4 2020 - 5:31am