New Cracks In Pine Island Glacier
A huge crack which was discovered last October in Pine Island Glacier has propagated into a series of cracks during the Antarctic Winter. The recent satellite image below shows the new cracks. Newer images will no doubt show these cracks more clearly as the sun rises higher in the Antarctic skies. The animation below helps to demonstrate the great advance of the glacier front and the propagation of the cracks since February 2012.
Pine Island Glacier, September 11 2012.
Pine Island Glacier March 2012 and September 2012 compared.
Given the amount of crack propagation during the Antarctic Winter, it is highly likely that we shall see a dramatic calving event in the forthcoming Antarctic Summer.
The image below shows the crack as it was when originally discovered.
"This image from the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) instrument on NAS's Terra spacecraft was acquired Nov. 13, 2011, and covers an area of 27 by 32 miles (44 by 52 kilometers), and is located near 74.9 degrees south latitude, 101.1 degrees west longitude."
Image"ed text source: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2165.html
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Phase-Change Materials Set New Speed Limit For Silicon
- M60-UCD1: Tiny Galaxy, Supermassive Black Hole
- Life After The 125 GeV Higgs: What Is Left Of Two-Higgs Doublet Models
- Watching Neurons Learn: Learning New Ideas Is More Difficult
- Longer Telomeres And Genetic Determinant For Melanoma Risk
- Ig Nobel Prizes 2014: From Jesus On Toast To Baby Feces In Sausages
- Witness The Singularity AI Nanotech Co-Evolutionary Merger
- "Please re-read the first paragraph. It's missing an ending......"
- "If being very restrained brings you to write stuff as AFAIK he has never talked about the gaps..."
- "Hi Mephisto,we do have a similar problem to the one you mention in high-energy physics - when we..."
- "Concerning his political opinions, Lubos is a deluded annoying crank, but credit has to be given..."
- "Right on, and I have written articles on that issue in the past - by preventing uptake in wealthy..."
- Gibbon genome sequence deepens understanding of primates rapid chromosomal rearrangements
- Combining antibodies, iron nanoparticles and magnets steers stem cells to injured organs
- Messier 54 lithium: This star cluster is not what it seems
- Sharks more abundant on healthy coral reefs
- Using plants to produce enzyme may provide treatment for high blood pressure in lungs