New Cracks In Pine Island Glacier
A huge crack which was discovered last October in Pine Island Glacier has propagated into a series of cracks during the Antarctic Winter. The recent satellite image below shows the new cracks. Newer images will no doubt show these cracks more clearly as the sun rises higher in the Antarctic skies. The animation below helps to demonstrate the great advance of the glacier front and the propagation of the cracks since February 2012.
Pine Island Glacier, September 11 2012.
Pine Island Glacier March 2012 and September 2012 compared.
Given the amount of crack propagation during the Antarctic Winter, it is highly likely that we shall see a dramatic calving event in the forthcoming Antarctic Summer.
The image below shows the crack as it was when originally discovered.
"This image from the Advanced Spaceborne Thermal Emission and Reflection Radiometer (ASTER) instrument on NAS's Terra spacecraft was acquired Nov. 13, 2011, and covers an area of 27 by 32 miles (44 by 52 kilometers), and is located near 74.9 degrees south latitude, 101.1 degrees west longitude."
Image"ed text source: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_2165.html
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- How Zika Infects The Placenta
- Case For Moon: Humanity's Gateway To Solar System Exploration, Open Ended, Planetary Protection At Its Heart
- Schrödinger's Cat Is Not Just Alive And Dead, He's Both In 2 Places At Once
- Music For The Eyes
- Making Or Breaking Habits: The Endocannabinoids Can Do It
- Genomic Study Tracks African-American Dispersal In The Great Migration
- B0 Meson Lifetime Difference Measured By ATLAS
- "Your random 'America sucks' posturing aside, what does your comment have to do with the article..."
- " America, in fact the planet, needs a president who will make America green again. The bull****..."
- "Yes, agreed, nice way of putting it. Though a rather interesting garage that's full of treasures..."
- "Oh, okay, sorry about that. Likewise for yourself. ..."
- "Four paragraphs in I hit delete. I'm just going to wish you the best in all things...."