Wow, those folks in Stockholm do pay attention to this blog. With a delay of a year (ok, you are forgiven, graphene is cute stuff after all), one half of the ten million kronor goes to SAUL PERLMUTTER and the other half jointly to BRIAN SCHMIDT and ADAM RIESS.
Exactly as I instructed them.
Bravo Nobel committee. And congratulations Saul, Brian and Adam, well deserved!
Saul Perlmutter receiving a call from Stockholm.
Credit: Paul Sakuma
Credit: the universe adventure.
Let there be no mistake: this Nobel is not for dark energy. It is for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe. The first is a theoretical model, the latter is a hard observational fact.
Want to know more about cosmic acceleration and the dark energy model? My very first blogpost here at Science2.0, holographic dark universe, explains the dark energy problem in laymen's terms.
This post also suggests an alternative (holographic) interpretation of the cosmic acceleration. As I am one of those who doubt the existence of dark energy, I have deepened these thoughts in a series of blog posts that explore an entropic origin of the cosmic expansion (for a summary see
It-from-bit: How to get rid of dark energy).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Suggestion: The EM Drive Is Getting The Appropriate Level Of Attention From The Science Community
- Animal Sex Is Spicier Than We Thought
- It's Naive To Pretend Differences Between Women And Men Are Just Genetics
- Bang! Meet The Highest-Energy Hadron Collision Ever Imaged!
- New Ice Age Is Coming, By 2030, Says Analysis
- Will Aspartame Critics Now Be Less Bitter?
- GMOs Have Formaldehyde? Bizarre Claim Challenged By Experts
- "Uh, Hank is our president now. And we see eye to eye on just about everything. I was responding..."
- "The cause of hangovers is not known. Let me suggest the most likely, and something none of you..."
- "Like ethanol, but with only one carbon instead of two, methanol even more readily enters every..."
- "Somehow, this makes even less sense then what you wrote before. ESL?..."
- "Quite aside from the fact that your arithmetic is horrid, your chemistry is even worse. When a..."
- Genetic tug of war in the brain influences behavior
- New method to predict the amount of nicotine emitted from e-cigarettes
- How bees naturally vaccinate their babies
- Mild hypothermia in deceased organ donors improves organ function in kidney transplant
- Trying to quit smoking? First strengthen self-control
Books By Writers Here