Wow, those folks in Stockholm do pay attention to this blog. With a delay of a year (ok, you are forgiven, graphene is cute stuff after all), one half of the ten million kronor goes to SAUL PERLMUTTER and the other half jointly to BRIAN SCHMIDT and ADAM RIESS.
Exactly as I instructed them.
Bravo Nobel committee. And congratulations Saul, Brian and Adam, well deserved!
Saul Perlmutter receiving a call from Stockholm.
Credit: Paul Sakuma
Credit: the universe adventure.
Let there be no mistake: this Nobel is not for dark energy. It is for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe. The first is a theoretical model, the latter is a hard observational fact.
Want to know more about cosmic acceleration and the dark energy model? My very first blogpost here at Science2.0, holographic dark universe, explains the dark energy problem in laymen's terms.
This post also suggests an alternative (holographic) interpretation of the cosmic acceleration. As I am one of those who doubt the existence of dark energy, I have deepened these thoughts in a series of blog posts that explore an entropic origin of the cosmic expansion (for a summary see
It-from-bit: How to get rid of dark energy).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Law has Failed, Not Forensic Science
- Energy-Space Photography Captures Light Behaving As A Wave And A Particle
- Sun's Impact On Climate Is Greater In Cool Periods
- The Real Meaning Of The Blue Black White Gold Dress
- Cats Use Sight Over Smell When Finding Food
- How Mr. Spock Changed Our Perception Of Science
- Francis Halzen On Cosmogenic Neutrinos
- "Seems to me, the primary subject to be defined by religion is that of the question of being. Ontology..."
- "That comment makes no sense. It's like if blue-eyed women were in charge and geared everything..."
- "Doug:I presume that the z=0 is to stipulate that we are within the plane of a thin disk. ..."
- "Leftists are a wacky species. It's simple, really. A white man is more likely to have the constellation..."
- "Hi T, Thanks for blogging on this. Are the pdf/ppt files of presentations available online? ..."