Wow, those folks in Stockholm do pay attention to this blog. With a delay of a year (ok, you are forgiven, graphene is cute stuff after all), one half of the ten million kronor goes to SAUL PERLMUTTER and the other half jointly to BRIAN SCHMIDT and ADAM RIESS.
Exactly as I instructed them.
Bravo Nobel committee. And congratulations Saul, Brian and Adam, well deserved!
Saul Perlmutter receiving a call from Stockholm.
Credit: Paul Sakuma
Credit: the universe adventure.
Let there be no mistake: this Nobel is not for dark energy. It is for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe. The first is a theoretical model, the latter is a hard observational fact.
Want to know more about cosmic acceleration and the dark energy model? My very first blogpost here at Science2.0, holographic dark universe, explains the dark energy problem in laymen's terms.
This post also suggests an alternative (holographic) interpretation of the cosmic acceleration. As I am one of those who doubt the existence of dark energy, I have deepened these thoughts in a series of blog posts that explore an entropic origin of the cosmic expansion (for a summary see
It-from-bit: How to get rid of dark energy).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The World Is NOT Ending Today! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story In Telegraph
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Why Has Organic Farming Flatlined?
- My Applied National Security Paper. Being President Isn't For Idiots.
- The Daily Physics Problem - 5
- SYRINA: A Trojan Horse For Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals?
- Apollo Astronauts And Cardiovascular-Related Deaths
- "Ian, nothing is going to happen, not now, not in September, none of these predictions is based..."
- "To be honest with u mr walker i dont really no the whole concept of this nibiru but one thing i..."
- "No nothing is going to happen then either Ian. BTW thanks for signing your comment. It's a great..."
- "Ok so nothing happens today then what about the date thats set for September whats your take on..."
- "David: My previous comment on your previous comment together fit in one screen. So, one can see..."
- Acute kidney injury identifiable in preterm infants
- Teens who smoke daily are more likely to report health complaints
- Lab method sheds light on how genetic mutations cause inherited Parkinson's disease
- Abundant and diverse ecosystem found in area targeted for deep-sea mining
- Portable device produces biologic drugs on demand