Wow, those folks in Stockholm do pay attention to this blog. With a delay of a year (ok, you are forgiven, graphene is cute stuff after all), one half of the ten million kronor goes to SAUL PERLMUTTER and the other half jointly to BRIAN SCHMIDT and ADAM RIESS.
Exactly as I instructed them.
Bravo Nobel committee. And congratulations Saul, Brian and Adam, well deserved!
Saul Perlmutter receiving a call from Stockholm.
Credit: Paul Sakuma
Credit: the universe adventure.
Let there be no mistake: this Nobel is not for dark energy. It is for the discovery of the accelerating expansion of the Universe. The first is a theoretical model, the latter is a hard observational fact.
Want to know more about cosmic acceleration and the dark energy model? My very first blogpost here at Science2.0, holographic dark universe, explains the dark energy problem in laymen's terms.
This post also suggests an alternative (holographic) interpretation of the cosmic acceleration. As I am one of those who doubt the existence of dark energy, I have deepened these thoughts in a series of blog posts that explore an entropic origin of the cosmic expansion (for a summary see
It-from-bit: How to get rid of dark energy).
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Thou Shalt Have One Higgs - $100 Bet Won !
- FDA Stiffs Go Soft On Pink Viagra
- Kashi GoLean Non-GMO Project Cereal Has Traces Of Glyphosate
- Sustainability Won’t Make The World More Fair
- There's No Wild Bee Colony Collapse Either
- Feminists Believe Heterosexual Marriage Is Oppressive, Says Sociologist - And Surveys Prove It
- A Historical Moment For Diabetes
- "LOL! I laughed so hard at this article! This was before its time- love it. I am the Celiac who..."
- "Hi Tony,let me just say that I do hope your model is correct!!!And after all we don't need to go..."
- "The primary and first blood glucose test is the HbA1C test, as you surely must knowI surely know..."
- "Au contraire, you do in fact speak of type 2 diabetes in the context of blood glucose and obesity..."
- "I like a model with 3 HIggs mass states (roughly 125 and 200 and 250 GeV) and would like to bet..."
- Movie Review: O-D’ing on Sugar Produces Flabby Science
- Unwise to Ignore Calorie Intake While Fighting Heart Disease
- Colon Cancer Risk Reduced with Common Pain Relievers
- Generic Drug Price Gouging Stems from Meddling Congress
- E-Cig Survey Muddles Gateway-to-Smoking Debate
- In Dramatic Return, Mets’ Wright Slugs Spinal Stenosis
- Infliximab biosimilar approved in Australia - lower cost is great, but questions about safety remain
- The radiationless revolution in electromagnetics
- Colorado Front Range storm in 2013 caused 1,000 years of erosion
- Covert, overt and benevolent forms of sexism are equally damaging to working women
- White Grain Disorder: New fungi behind emerging wheat disease