A small parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests certain fish that inhabit the coral reefs of the shallow eastern Caribbean is the absolute perfect species to name for a pleasant Jamaican stoner - and so it came to pass. The little critter has been designated Gnathia marleyi.
Never heard of a gnathiid isopod? Me either, so this blog post is about 90% press release, but Bob Marley and Che Guevara are two sacred cows I love to puncture, since their mythology has become so overblown - oh, and Rachel Carson, she was rubbish too - thus, this got my attention. And while I am being indefensibly contrarian, what's so great about about coral reefs? 80 percent of all organisms found on coral reefs are parasites. Why are we trying to save those again?
Back to the parasite. Paul Sikkel, discoverer and assistant professor of marine ecology at Arkansas State University, said, "I named this species, which is truly a natural wonder, after Marley because of my respect and admiration for Marley's music. Plus, this species is as uniquely Caribbean as was Marley."
This parasite is Bob Marley's big honor. Don't get all smug, Stephen Colbert. Your beetle is not all that great, either. President Obama has lichen, though. I bet that will get some Republican campaign attention this election. Credit: NSF
Admiration? This is a parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests fish. Well, maybe he has a point with the infestation. Now I can't get "Jammin’" out of my brain.
Somewhere, Steel Pulse is wondering why they don't get this kind of attention. Answer: BECAUSE YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND.
LINK: New coral reef crustacean described and named after late reggae performer Bob Marley
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Lettuces Now, What Next - Could Astronauts Get All Their Oxygen And Food From Algae Or Plants?
- Innate GMO Potato Deregulated By USDA
- Spiky Filaments For Egg Fusion: Sperm Wield Tiny Harpoons
- Fetal Attraction: How Baby Cells Impact Maternal Health During Pregnancy
- A Historical Moment For Diabetes
- Science And Technology Adviser To Condoleezza Rice: GMOs "Critical" To Feeding The World
- School Lunch: How To Teach Kids To Be Casual Criminals
- "This originated as my answer to the Quora question: Why doesn't NASA have plants inside space..."
- "I mean both type of diabetes, because:Klahr and Bricker: Energetics of Anaerobic Sodium Transport..."
- "Monsanto can buy nearly anyone it seems. SHAME!..."
- "Sorry, I don't speak Russian. I tried Google translate, and see that your comment is to do with..."
- " Инерциоид либрация 4 Предлагаю вашему вниманию, инерциоид..."
- Where bread began: Ancient tools used to reconstruct (and eat) prehistoric cuisine
- Study links air pollution to children's low GPAs
- Fetal attraction: The alien within influences maternal health during pregnancy
- Can eagles be saved from wind turbines?
- Is failure to reproduce psychology papers a sign they are invalid?