A small parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests certain fish that inhabit the coral reefs of the shallow eastern Caribbean is the absolute perfect species to name for a pleasant Jamaican stoner - and so it came to pass. The little critter has been designated Gnathia marleyi.
Never heard of a gnathiid isopod? Me either, so this blog post is about 90% press release, but Bob Marley and Che Guevara are two sacred cows I love to puncture, since their mythology has become so overblown - oh, and Rachel Carson, she was rubbish too - thus, this got my attention. And while I am being indefensibly contrarian, what's so great about about coral reefs? 80 percent of all organisms found on coral reefs are parasites. Why are we trying to save those again?
Back to the parasite. Paul Sikkel, discoverer and assistant professor of marine ecology at Arkansas State University, said, "I named this species, which is truly a natural wonder, after Marley because of my respect and admiration for Marley's music. Plus, this species is as uniquely Caribbean as was Marley."
This parasite is Bob Marley's big honor. Don't get all smug, Stephen Colbert. Your beetle is not all that great, either. President Obama has lichen, though. I bet that will get some Republican campaign attention this election. Credit: NSF
Admiration? This is a parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests fish. Well, maybe he has a point with the infestation. Now I can't get "Jammin’" out of my brain.
Somewhere, Steel Pulse is wondering why they don't get this kind of attention. Answer: BECAUSE YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND.
LINK: New coral reef crustacean described and named after late reggae performer Bob Marley
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Metal Hip Replacements Implanted Since 2006 More Prone To Failure
- The Number Of My Publications Has Four Digits
- Professor Frenkel: Why Shouldn't We Drop Algebra From Our Education System?
- Matter Can Potentially Accelerate The Expansion Of The Universe
- Exposure To Particulate Air Pollutants Associated With Numerous Cancers
- The Geology Of Wine
- Why Fraternal Twins Run In Families
- "Correction (will merge this into the article later): Orange dwarf stars have lifetimes of 15 -..."
- "Lobos, after what you say about academia, I still wander why you keep the Harvard Veritas coat..."
- "For a pedagogical introduction to the Friedmann equations, see for instance this set of lectures..."
- "of course they can adopt to the thinking of humans because they programmed by humans so whatever..."
- "Just to add a link, may update article later - to BBC news article about Hinksey power station..."
- Evidence points to widespread loss of ocean oxygen by 2030s
- Scientists map brain's 'thesaurus' to help decode inner thoughts
- Surgery for chronic temporal headaches -- simplified approach shows good results
- 'Machine learning' may contribute to new advances in plastic surgery
- Good long-term quality of life after 'DIEP flap' breast reconstruction