A small parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests certain fish that inhabit the coral reefs of the shallow eastern Caribbean is the absolute perfect species to name for a pleasant Jamaican stoner - and so it came to pass. The little critter has been designated Gnathia marleyi.
Never heard of a gnathiid isopod? Me either, so this blog post is about 90% press release, but Bob Marley and Che Guevara are two sacred cows I love to puncture, since their mythology has become so overblown - oh, and Rachel Carson, she was rubbish too - thus, this got my attention. And while I am being indefensibly contrarian, what's so great about about coral reefs? 80 percent of all organisms found on coral reefs are parasites. Why are we trying to save those again?
Back to the parasite. Paul Sikkel, discoverer and assistant professor of marine ecology at Arkansas State University, said, "I named this species, which is truly a natural wonder, after Marley because of my respect and admiration for Marley's music. Plus, this species is as uniquely Caribbean as was Marley."
This parasite is Bob Marley's big honor. Don't get all smug, Stephen Colbert. Your beetle is not all that great, either. President Obama has lichen, though. I bet that will get some Republican campaign attention this election. Credit: NSF
Admiration? This is a parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests fish. Well, maybe he has a point with the infestation. Now I can't get "Jammin’" out of my brain.
Somewhere, Steel Pulse is wondering why they don't get this kind of attention. Answer: BECAUSE YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND.
LINK: New coral reef crustacean described and named after late reggae performer Bob Marley
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- World Did NOT End On 29th July! AWFUL "Silly Season" Story - Journalists Please Be More Responsible
- Why An Extra Planet Can't Be Hidden Behind The Sun Or Above The South Pole
- Mind The (Risk Perception) Gap On BPA
- I am Sorry Retractions and First Ever Book Recommendation
- Dandelions Could Be A Sustainable Source Of Rubber
- Russia Loves Science When It Comes To Cheating In Sports, But Not In Food
- Why Do Consumers Participate In 'green' Programs?
- "hey Alex,yeah ok...."
- "You mean, is it edible?Yes it is. Though the digestibility of the oil has not yet been studied..."
- "Quark colors are considered in the framework of the SM weak interactions for the first time. In..."
- "Yes absolutely. Nobody has predicted any astronomical event successfully from the Bible. And it..."
- "so this vídeo armageddon News is fake???..."
- Tracking how HIV disrupts immune system informs vaccine development
- Green monkeys acquired Staphylococcus aureus from humans
- Researchers find molecular switch that triggers bacterial pathogenicity
- Scientists identify immunological profiles of people who make powerful HIV antibodies
- Breastfeeding associated with better brain development and neurocognitive outcomes