A small parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests certain fish that inhabit the coral reefs of the shallow eastern Caribbean is the absolute perfect species to name for a pleasant Jamaican stoner - and so it came to pass. The little critter has been designated Gnathia marleyi.
Never heard of a gnathiid isopod? Me either, so this blog post is about 90% press release, but Bob Marley and Che Guevara are two sacred cows I love to puncture, since their mythology has become so overblown - oh, and Rachel Carson, she was rubbish too - thus, this got my attention. And while I am being indefensibly contrarian, what's so great about about coral reefs? 80 percent of all organisms found on coral reefs are parasites. Why are we trying to save those again?
Back to the parasite. Paul Sikkel, discoverer and assistant professor of marine ecology at Arkansas State University, said, "I named this species, which is truly a natural wonder, after Marley because of my respect and admiration for Marley's music. Plus, this species is as uniquely Caribbean as was Marley."
This parasite is Bob Marley's big honor. Don't get all smug, Stephen Colbert. Your beetle is not all that great, either. President Obama has lichen, though. I bet that will get some Republican campaign attention this election. Credit: NSF
Admiration? This is a parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests fish. Well, maybe he has a point with the infestation. Now I can't get "Jammin’" out of my brain.
Somewhere, Steel Pulse is wondering why they don't get this kind of attention. Answer: BECAUSE YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND.
LINK: New coral reef crustacean described and named after late reggae performer Bob Marley
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- We’re Not In Europe Any More: BfR Statement On EDCs Embraces The Risk-Based Approach
- Even Light Drinkers Should Watch For Fatty Liver Disease
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- "Mi Cro, I happened upon your global temperature charts recently, and want to be sure I understand..."
- "You make good points. I thank you for them. I am enjoying reading your work. I agree that asteroid..."
- "Oh, okay, glad you aren't worried about little asteroids. Yes I agree, I haven't come across that..."
- "Hello Dario,no copies are made of the same event - the triggering and the data storage are two..."
- "Yes, as the numbers are averages, there is this possibility - actually it happens all the time..."
- Silencing cholera's social media
- More than half of EU citizens questioned now think e-cigarettes are harmful
- DIY sampling kits accessed through gay men's social media unearth new HIV cases
- 'Suggestive evidence' for link between air pollution and heightened stillbirth risk
- Prohibition 2016: Assessing the UK's Psychoactive Substances Act