A small parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests certain fish that inhabit the coral reefs of the shallow eastern Caribbean is the absolute perfect species to name for a pleasant Jamaican stoner - and so it came to pass. The little critter has been designated Gnathia marleyi.
Never heard of a gnathiid isopod? Me either, so this blog post is about 90% press release, but Bob Marley and Che Guevara are two sacred cows I love to puncture, since their mythology has become so overblown - oh, and Rachel Carson, she was rubbish too - thus, this got my attention. And while I am being indefensibly contrarian, what's so great about about coral reefs? 80 percent of all organisms found on coral reefs are parasites. Why are we trying to save those again?
Back to the parasite. Paul Sikkel, discoverer and assistant professor of marine ecology at Arkansas State University, said, "I named this species, which is truly a natural wonder, after Marley because of my respect and admiration for Marley's music. Plus, this species is as uniquely Caribbean as was Marley."
This parasite is Bob Marley's big honor. Don't get all smug, Stephen Colbert. Your beetle is not all that great, either. President Obama has lichen, though. I bet that will get some Republican campaign attention this election. Credit: NSF
Admiration? This is a parasitic crustacean blood feeder that infests fish. Well, maybe he has a point with the infestation. Now I can't get "Jammin’" out of my brain.
Somewhere, Steel Pulse is wondering why they don't get this kind of attention. Answer: BECAUSE YOU'RE FROM ENGLAND.
LINK: New coral reef crustacean described and named after late reggae performer Bob Marley
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Part I: Bee Deaths Mystery Solved? Neonicotinoids (Neonics) May Actually Help Bee Health
- Chronic Pain Isn't All In The Brain
- On integrating out short-distance physics
- Part II: Bee Deaths And CCD - Flawed Chensheng Lu Harvard Studies Endanger Bees
- Smoking, Drinking And Eating: It's Not About Your Freedom
- Violence, Sex And Taboo: The Original Brothers Grimm Fairy Tales Back In Print
- Is The Micropower Revolution Here?
- "And my second link should be not a copy of the first, but this: http://www.nature.com/news/half..."
- "Recently I saw The Conversation remove/censor legitimate comments arguing against an article written..."
- tags because there's no testing..." href="/robert_inventor/why_we_cant_backup_earth_on_mars_the_moon_or_anywhere_else_in_our_solar_system-148364#comment-182183">"Robert, you might want to reformat my post. I intended to highlight only the headlines for easy..."
- "My only complaint with good thinkers and writers has hither always been that they should produce..."
- "The complaints about Lu's studies emanated not from me but from the world's leading entomologists..."
- Study reveals significantly increased risk of stillbirth in males
- Moderate coffee consumption may lower the risk of Alzheimer's disease by up to 20 percent
- New research supporting stroke rehabilitation
- The artificial pancreas shown to improve the treatment of type 1 diabetes
- The Lancet: Leading medical experts call for an end to UK postcode lottery for liver disease treatment and detection