ViviTouch is a kind of 'artificial muscle' that seeks to make video games feel more real. The technology behind it is electroactive polymers, developed by Bayer subsidiary Artificial Muscle of Sunnyvale, right up the road from me.
It's basically a new sort of motor that converts electrical energy into movement, to go beyond the traditional haptic interface people expect by now. Motor? Well, that is the CEO's terms. It's an actuator made of a thin polymer film but electroactive polymers are cooler than traditional actuators, generators and sensors because a ViviTouch-enabled device lets you 'feel' explosions, flying and even uppercuts like you were meant to, they say. So if you like getting an uppercut, this is for you.
In a controller or headphones, the polymer contracts and expands based on the sounds and people can better feel what is happening.
The technology was invented in 2001 by SRI and they spun it out in 2004. Four years later they had the first haptic actuator prototype. It can deliver 75 Hz pulses, for example, so gamers get unique sensations based on what’s occurring in their game, but with more true feel than the 'rumble' in joysticks of today.
Why is it cool? We have enjoyed really improved graphics and sound (and story, if you played "Mass Effect" or "Uncharted") but feel has been missing. That is why I only bought "Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2" yesterday. It's 3 years old but not much has changed so I was in no rush. But if I could really feel bullets tearing into my spleen? Maybe I would get more excited about the new games.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Gravitational Waves? Watch the LIGO press conference at 10:30 Eastern.
- My Thoughts On The LIGO-VIRGO Result
- Henri Poincaré Predicted The Existence Of Gravitational Waves As Early As June 5, 1905
- Giddings: The 750 GeV Diphoton Resonance Is A Graviton
- The 10 catastrophic mistakes virtual reality firms are making
- LIGO, Gravitational Waves, And Laser Interferometry
- The Neuroscience Of Seeking Company
- " Sorry, just more subterfuge. We are in a twenty year hiatus in any warming that has been occurring..."
- "It must also be noticed that the Dreyfus affair was undergoing different legal phases before the..."
- "You write For instance, showing the next strongest signal, showing that it was spurious, and qualitatively..."
- "Just ridiculous! If we think that way we can also say that the depression doesn't exist : it's..."
- "Good article, but I am not really agree: according to me it's up and downs which really make the..."
- Bariatric Surgery Beneficial Even for Older People
- Opiates No Better at Easing Knee Osteoarthritis Pain
- Younger Breast Cancer Patients Increasingly Likely To Get BRCA Test
- EWG Verified: A New Way To Greenmail Food Companies
- A Cluttered Kitchen May Undo Your Diet
- Cotton Candy Cure for Future of Organ Transplants
- New experimental test detects signs of Lyme disease near time of infection
- New app turns smartphones into worldwide seismic network
- Researchers create 'mini-brains' in lab to study neurological diseases
- Researchers identify 'neurostatin' that may reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease
- Gene technology to help healthy skin in Aboriginal Australians