The HRP-4C from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Japan, a descendant of the HRP-4 humanoid robot that sent normal people into uncanny valley creepiness territory last year, can sing now.
Clearly catering toward Japanese men, this new fembot is a waif-like 5'2", looks really, really young and likely will have lasers or at least Vulcan cannons that come out of her arms in future models - you know, for fighting off the vampires who will be resurrected after an atomic apocalypse in the future that happens in every Japanese story these days.
To do the singing, they replaced the older human voice mapped to facial movements with a synthesized robot voice imitating a human. Is it good? It's accurate, so if you can listen to that Fergie person in the Black Eyes Peas there's no difference in the level of technology to keep them both on pitch. Fergie certainly dances better as you will see in the video below.
One clever enhancement pointed out by TechNewsDaily is breathing - software anticipates where a Human 1.0 would draw a breath while singing and the action and a subtle sound is generated.
Is it creepy? Sure, to normal men, but so is Lady Gaga.
Here's the video, courtesy of Diginfonews in Tokyo:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Intellectually Gifted Kids And Learning Disabilities Often Go Hand In Hand
- Another One Bites The Dust - WW Cross Section Gets Back Where It Belongs
- Yawunik Kootenayi - Lobster With Two Sets Of Eyes From 500,000,000 B.C.
- Why It Took Big Humans To Populate Europe
- When Does Quantum Mechanics Become Classical Physics?
- NRDC Says Your Xbox Is Causing Global Warming - But It Isn't
- Drinking Raw Milk Dramatically Increases Risk For Foodborne Illness, Analysis Finds
- "Have a nice day...full of lessons. ..."
- "Say Josh, I have a good quack spotting tip....it should actually hone your considerable quack-spotting..."
- "oops...my bad...I wrote Hank...but meant to say Josh.... A boob paring? Aw, c'mon, you don't like..."
- "Josh, Mercola is not the problem. The mainstream medicine programs, ie....the 3rd leading cause..."
- "You're critical of everything and everyone not in your circle, Hank I think that's taking non-overlapping..."