The HRP-4C from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Japan, a descendant of the HRP-4 humanoid robot that sent normal people into uncanny valley creepiness territory last year, can sing now.
Clearly catering toward Japanese men, this new fembot is a waif-like 5'2", looks really, really young and likely will have lasers or at least Vulcan cannons that come out of her arms in future models - you know, for fighting off the vampires who will be resurrected after an atomic apocalypse in the future that happens in every Japanese story these days.
To do the singing, they replaced the older human voice mapped to facial movements with a synthesized robot voice imitating a human. Is it good? It's accurate, so if you can listen to that Fergie person in the Black Eyes Peas there's no difference in the level of technology to keep them both on pitch. Fergie certainly dances better as you will see in the video below.
One clever enhancement pointed out by TechNewsDaily is breathing - software anticipates where a Human 1.0 would draw a breath while singing and the action and a subtle sound is generated.
Is it creepy? Sure, to normal men, but so is Lady Gaga.
Here's the video, courtesy of Diginfonews in Tokyo:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Case For Moon: Gateway For Open Ended Exploration, With Planetary Protection Central - On The SpaceShow
- Sweet Irony: The Environmental Impacts Of GMO Sugar Science Denial
- The Real Cost Of Milk
- Why We Get Tired When We Stay Up Too Late
- We’re Not In Europe Any More: BfR Statement On EDCs Embraces The Risk-Based Approach
- When It Comes To Replicating Psychology Studies, Good Luck
- Can't Resist Temptation? That May Not Be A Bad Thing
- "Okay, that may be true, but we never hear from them. Instead we hear from Environmental Working..."
- "You lost me at: Environmental groups, who ordinarily love centralized government and social authoritarian..."
- "Mi Cro, I happened upon your global temperature charts recently, and want to be sure I understand..."
- "You make good points. I thank you for them. I am enjoying reading your work. I agree that asteroid..."
- "Oh, okay, glad you aren't worried about little asteroids. Yes I agree, I haven't come across that..."
- Ketamine Better than Haloperidol for Sedation Onset But Not Much Else
- TIps & Tricks To Ward Off Ticks
- What is CRISPR-Cas9 and why do we need to know about it?
- Pancreatic Cancer: Surgery Improves Survival in One-third
- Intervention Decreases Adolescents’ Obesity
- What Organic and Chemical Actually Mean: A Glossary of Hijacked Terms
- Science instruments of NASA's James Webb Space Telescope successfully installed
- Tiny wasp sniffs out, picks up 'good vibrations' to battle ash borer
- Abundance inequality in freshwater communities has an ecological origin
- Family size and education levels: The right support could reverse long-held theory
- New water-quality data on impact of corn, soybeans on nitrate in Iowa streams