The HRP-4C from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Japan, a descendant of the HRP-4 humanoid robot that sent normal people into uncanny valley creepiness territory last year, can sing now.
Clearly catering toward Japanese men, this new fembot is a waif-like 5'2", looks really, really young and likely will have lasers or at least Vulcan cannons that come out of her arms in future models - you know, for fighting off the vampires who will be resurrected after an atomic apocalypse in the future that happens in every Japanese story these days.
To do the singing, they replaced the older human voice mapped to facial movements with a synthesized robot voice imitating a human. Is it good? It's accurate, so if you can listen to that Fergie person in the Black Eyes Peas there's no difference in the level of technology to keep them both on pitch. Fergie certainly dances better as you will see in the video below.
One clever enhancement pointed out by TechNewsDaily is breathing - software anticipates where a Human 1.0 would draw a breath while singing and the action and a subtle sound is generated.
Is it creepy? Sure, to normal men, but so is Lady Gaga.
Here's the video, courtesy of Diginfonews in Tokyo:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Wait, Let's Not Rush To Be Multiplanetary Or Interstellar - A Comment On Elon Musk's Vision
- Ground Squirrels Use The Sun To Hide Food
- Vitamin D Could Help Control TB In Animals
- Bizarre Forelimb Evolution In Ancient Drepanosaurus Fossil
- Wetlands And Agriculture, Not Fossil Fuels, Behind The Global Rise In Methane
- How Would You Like A Kitchen Surface That Cleans Itself?
- The Social Psychology of Presidential Election Polls, Part 1 of 2
- "No, no cause for concern at all :). It's just a new moon, such as happens once a month. When the..."
- "Nice quote! I googled around for this a bit more and stumbled on a graph that showed earth's energy..."
- "hey robert you ta knowing that tomorrow will be a phenomenon on the moon called black moon ???..."
- "Oh, that's a really interesting point, hadn't thought of that. I agree! Perhaps the most advanced..."
- "Yes that's what I'm saying :). If you want more reassurance do message me on quora, quite a few..."
- ACSH Performs #22PushUps Challenge
- American Horror Story: First Ebola, Then Zika. Is Chagas Next?
- Kratom Is A Drug By Any Measure - Treat It Like One
- San Francisco Soda Tax: A Feel-Good Policy Based on Junk Science
- Watson and Crick did not discover DNA
- Is Parenting Kids of Human and Canine Persuasion the Same? Yes!
- 51 U.S. House Members Urges DEA To Delay "Hasty" Ban On Natural Herbal Supplement Kratom
- Women are a quarter of the 1 percent
- Wetlands and agriculture, not fossil fuels, behind the global rise in methane
- Mass immigration is correlated to higher levels of crime, but not causal
- How would you like a kitchen surface that cleans itself?