The HRP-4C from the National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology in Japan, a descendant of the HRP-4 humanoid robot that sent normal people into uncanny valley creepiness territory last year, can sing now.
Clearly catering toward Japanese men, this new fembot is a waif-like 5'2", looks really, really young and likely will have lasers or at least Vulcan cannons that come out of her arms in future models - you know, for fighting off the vampires who will be resurrected after an atomic apocalypse in the future that happens in every Japanese story these days.
To do the singing, they replaced the older human voice mapped to facial movements with a synthesized robot voice imitating a human. Is it good? It's accurate, so if you can listen to that Fergie person in the Black Eyes Peas there's no difference in the level of technology to keep them both on pitch. Fergie certainly dances better as you will see in the video below.
One clever enhancement pointed out by TechNewsDaily is breathing - software anticipates where a Human 1.0 would draw a breath while singing and the action and a subtle sound is generated.
Is it creepy? Sure, to normal men, but so is Lady Gaga.
Here's the video, courtesy of Diginfonews in Tokyo:
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Today's Global Warming Is Nothing Special
- Why I’ll Talk Policy With Climate Change Deniers But Not Science
- Curiosity Detects Spike In Methane, And Other Organic Molecules, On Mars
- Worldwide, Life Expectancy Has Gone Up Over 6 Years Since 1990
- There Was No 'Paleo Diet' - Ancient People Ate What They Had
- Time To Stop Thinking Of Video Games As Just 'Software'
- Is Big Data Taking Over The Fashion Industry?
- "Thank you for including the Four Myths of Nature. It is very helpful to keep these in mind when..."
- "No, I was meaning the ArcticIndex of /arctic/rediscover/dmi_sea_ice_maps http://docs.lib.noaa.gov/rescue/mwr/050/mwr..."
- "The big problem they have now in making their statements is credibility - while they can claim..."
- "old news ..."
- "This research has virtually no bearing on the problem of AGW. Survival of early life is not the..."
- Genetic ancestry of different ethnic groups varies across the United States
- What makes kids generous? Neuroscience has some answers
- Birds sensed severe storms and fled before tornado outbreak
- A change of diet to unmask cancer vulnerabilities and reduce cancer risk
- Sensing distant tornadoes, birds flew the coop