In 1970, Japanese roboticist Masahiro Mori described what he called the "uncanny valley", which was a graph showing our affinity for a machine to its likeness of humans. As robots look and act more human-like, our fondness for them increases, but when machines reach a point where they look so much like us that we can barely tell they're different, we feel repulsed instead of affectionate.
31 years later, we're still in that uncanny valley but the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute in Japan is not giving up. These are the guys who brought us Japanese Fembots, after all.
A recent Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute summit brought three people and their robotic doppelgangers, what they termed Geminoids. These "hyper-realistic humanoids" were of Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro and Associate Professor Henrik Scharfe and they had "an unnerving tea party with their synthetic twins", as described by The Guardian. The third Geminoid is a female model whose identity was not disclosed.
Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro from The Guardian
What would you talk about with your robotic twin? Mine would likely annoy me. Big know-it-all. He would have nice hair, though.
Link: Japanese robot twins fail to bridge the 'uncanny valley' by Olivia Stone. H/T RealClearScience
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- The Serious Physics Of Super Balls
- Mystery Of Morgellons - Disease Or Delusion - Scientific Hypothesis Of Connection With Lyme Disease
- Numenta And IBM To Build Biologically Inspired Intelligent Machines.
- Traditional Medicine: Thunder God Vine As Potential Obesity Treatment
- Grading The President's Strategy To Promote Bee Health
- Will Female Viagra Be An FDA Boner?
- Enjoy Sugar Again: High Carb Diet On Par With Caloric Restriction In Boosting Health
- "I am more concerned about women eating genetically modified corn and then breast feeding.  ..."
- "As a Christian I've always believed that there are no true atheists. We are created in God's image..."
- "The math realities are that the President's Strategy cannot possibly increase the amount of honeybee..."
- "Yes for sure. I'm at firstname.lastname@example.org. It's on loads of websites as that's my support..."
- "Good points, yes I think that's the way of it. I know it's rather long, some of the wikipedia articles..."