In 1970, Japanese roboticist Masahiro Mori described what he called the "uncanny valley", which was a graph showing our affinity for a machine to its likeness of humans. As robots look and act more human-like, our fondness for them increases, but when machines reach a point where they look so much like us that we can barely tell they're different, we feel repulsed instead of affectionate.
31 years later, we're still in that uncanny valley but the Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute in Japan is not giving up. These are the guys who brought us Japanese Fembots, after all.
A recent Advanced Telecommunications Research Institute summit brought three people and their robotic doppelgangers, what they termed Geminoids. These "hyper-realistic humanoids" were of Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro and Associate Professor Henrik Scharfe and they had "an unnerving tea party with their synthetic twins", as described by The Guardian. The third Geminoid is a female model whose identity was not disclosed.
Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro from The Guardian
What would you talk about with your robotic twin? Mine would likely annoy me. Big know-it-all. He would have nice hair, though.
Link: Japanese robot twins fail to bridge the 'uncanny valley' by Olivia Stone. H/T RealClearScience
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Supersymmetry Is About To Be Discovered, Kane Says
- "Imaginary Bullshit Planet" Nibiru - Lens Flares, Sun Mirages, Hoaxes & Just Plain Silly
- No, Earth's Magnetic Field Is Not About To Flip
- New Open-access Data On Paleofloods
- 140 dead in Paris. Distance from South Korea to New York shrinks by 5,000 miles.
- Study Shows Men Attracted to Transgender Women are NOT Gay. DUH!
- Anomaly! - A Different Particle Physics Book
- "so u are sure that there is nothing there and nothing is going to kill us in December or even next..."
- "For all folks who regularly read this column:I have just come across this:Physicists Are Desperate..."
- "When it really comes down to it Robert, we either make it as a civilization or don't. We either..."
- "Erinaceus Europaeus,I'm am conflicted about thoughts such as: while this extreme social event can't..."
- "Thank you for giving us a clearer understanding on where we stand with a magnetic field flip.Alex..."
- Cookin’ Your Bird, The Science Way
- Should the new hep C drugs be used sooner?
- Bilingual patients have better cognitive function post-stroke
- Caveat Comestor: New Yorker Cites ACSH On Cranberry Scare Of ’59
- Does Holiday Feasting Affect Obesity Rates?
- Apple Pie, Mashed Potatoes and Natural Formaldehyde
- Breast MRI after mammography may identify additional aggressive cancers
- Breast cancer clinic attributes increased uptake of double mastectomies to Angelina Jolie effect
- Exploring the physics of a chocolate fountain
- Researchers urge caution in prescribing commonly used drug to treat ADHD
- Stretch the new flex for programmable rubber keyboard