Why do clowns freak us out? And why are robots cute until they look too much like people, and then then they creep us out?
It's our old friend the Uncanny Valley and it basically postulates that the more realistic something gets to a human likeness, the more repulsive it is. I don't mean like realistic special effects as in "Wrath Of The Titans" - that giant, flaming lava hand of Chronos looks cool - but rather likeness when it comes to humanoids, be they zombies or robots.
The Uncanny Valley has long been known, but but finding that line has been experimental. Technologists basically make things more and more realistic until people are creeped out and they compile statistics. It is moderately interesting applied psychology for consumer research but not science. However, now neuroscientists are on the trail, writes Elizabeth Landau on CNN.
First, he is a graphical primer on the uncanny valley:
The uncanny valley. Notice that if the object moves, the affinity or revulsion caused by the machine becomes much more pronounced. Photo Credit: AndroidScience.
Landau writes about Ayse Saygin, professor at the University of California, San Diego, who found something interesting in the neuroscience of creepiness: "The network that normally processes your body movements is more active when you view an android," compared with a stripped-down robot or a human, which could be because the brain has to combine conflicting information.
It's uncanny. And still creepy! Professor Hiroshi Ishiguro. Link: The Guardian
Is it because we know eerily realistic robots and most clowns look alive but we know they are not, and thus they play on our fear of death (or Jamaicans, in the case of voodoo zombies)? That's empathy, not science, but still worth considering.
Chris Rollins wrote about the uncanny valley being scaled by, you guess it, Japanese researchers. Here is a video. Still too weird? Or are people getting more and more accustomed as time, and realistic special effects, march on?
H/T Mark Changizi
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- BPA-Free, With Regrets
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- New President - Pivot To Moon On Way To Mars? Lunar Spelunking & Science Surprises
- Biofuels Are A Climate Mistake
- Debunking: A President Of The US Could Order A Nuclear Attack At A Moments Notice On A Whim
- Who Is Trying To Destroy The Internet?
- An Astronaut Gardener On The Moon - Summits Of Sunlight And Vast Lunar Caves In Low Gravity
- "Nothing new here...."
- "Tellingly it's been removed from it's original source. ..."
- "Unlike men, women don't seem to be able to do much without support. As for the equality gap, that's..."
- "Hi Dan!Thanks, glad you like it. I'm in the UK so I know what you mean about tensions between the..."
- "Oh if it was real, astronomers would have been tracking it for several decades. It would have been..."
- Is Modern Feminism Incompatible with Science?
- When All Else Fails, Bribing Kids to Eat Better
- Kathleen Gyllenhaal: 'IN UTERO' in Hollywood Q&A
- Herpes Vaccine Update: Dr. Halford Answers 'the Big Question'
- The media is not helping in the battle against SIDS
- Busted Breast Cancer Myths