What's the world coming to? With all of the PhDs America produces, pretty soon law enforcement will be limited to officers with graduate degrees in quantum physics - but for now, Newton is still all it takes. Well, usually. Sometimes even the laws of physics are not what they look like.
And special laws of physics apply on April 1st so use the contents of this paper on the differences between angular and linear motion carefully. Not every judge is going to be impressed but this was in California, so he was probably happy to have someone besides an environmental activist in court.
Using his knowledge of physics, Dmitri Krioukov from UC San Diego was able to show that a number of coincidental events led to a police officer having a perception of reality that was not actually reality - basically, an officer who saw him roll through a stop sign in his Toyota made a mistake.
What were the combined events that led to the distortion of reality? The officer was measuring the linear but not angular speed of his car, the car decelerated and then accelerated relatively fast and finally, that another momentarily blocked the officer's view.
Bring on the graphs!
The officer's perception of the angular speed was caused by the partial obstruction, "remarkably similar to the curve showing the angular speed of a hypothetical object moving at constant speed v0 = 8 m/s ≈ 18 mph."
Did he really save $400 in court using this paper? Krioukov told Physics Central he did. If you believe that, you'll believe I can use math to show you how to get to all of the good hookers before Charlie Sheen - and we know that just isn't possible.
Citation: Dmitri Krioukov, 'The Proof of Innocence', http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.0162v1.pdf
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Are We Living In A Hologram? Is The Universe A 2-D Projection On The Cosmic Horizon?
- Stuff Worth Reading: Collider Asymmetries, Dark Photons, And Warp Drives
- Does This Cow Really Exist?
- Are Insects The Future Of Food?
- Genome 10k Project: Complex Animal Life And How It Has Evolved Over Time
- Just In Case You Thought Your Wine Was Vegan
- Gravity Data Show That Antarctic Ice Sheet Is Melting Increasingly Faster
- "Right on. The shortest distance between two points is not a strait line, rather it's that same..."
- "so, if the correspondence principle is valid in a flat universe and our universe is a flat universe..."
- "That is an excellent question. I've never run across a reference to a fossil significantly bigger..."
- "Thanks and good question! Male argonauts are at the extreme of spawn once, then die while the females..."
- "I'm probably being overly analytic here, but what exactly are vegan's trying to optimize? If a..."