What's the world coming to? With all of the PhDs America produces, pretty soon law enforcement will be limited to officers with graduate degrees in quantum physics - but for now, Newton is still all it takes. Well, usually. Sometimes even the laws of physics are not what they look like.
And special laws of physics apply on April 1st so use the contents of this paper on the differences between angular and linear motion carefully. Not every judge is going to be impressed but this was in California, so he was probably happy to have someone besides an environmental activist in court.
Using his knowledge of physics, Dmitri Krioukov from UC San Diego was able to show that a number of coincidental events led to a police officer having a perception of reality that was not actually reality - basically, an officer who saw him roll through a stop sign in his Toyota made a mistake.
What were the combined events that led to the distortion of reality? The officer was measuring the linear but not angular speed of his car, the car decelerated and then accelerated relatively fast and finally, that another momentarily blocked the officer's view.
Bring on the graphs!
The officer's perception of the angular speed was caused by the partial obstruction, "remarkably similar to the curve showing the angular speed of a hypothetical object moving at constant speed v0 = 8 m/s ≈ 18 mph."
Did he really save $400 in court using this paper? Krioukov told Physics Central he did. If you believe that, you'll believe I can use math to show you how to get to all of the good hookers before Charlie Sheen - and we know that just isn't possible.
Citation: Dmitri Krioukov, 'The Proof of Innocence', http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.0162v1.pdf
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- "I agree yoga should not be promoted as a treatment for BD, but everyone can gain benefits from..."
- "I had the opportunity to sit on the 3rd baseline at Wrigley, nice field!..."
- "Yes, I've been waiting for this for at least a few decades!Too bad it's use in a dirty bomb would..."
- "Oddly, you took the time to do that research yet lack the ability to do any at all on the topic..."
- "Sure. And you're the king of diction. A google search for your name and crackpot reveals that you..."
- NASA sees Tropical Storm Kalmaegi weakening over Vietnam
- Size at birth affects risk of adolescent mental health disorders
- Artificial 'beaks' that collect water from fog: A drought solution?
- Parts of genome without a known function may play a key role in the birth of new proteins
- Iberian pig genome remains unchanged after 5 centuries