What's the world coming to? With all of the PhDs America produces, pretty soon law enforcement will be limited to officers with graduate degrees in quantum physics - but for now, Newton is still all it takes. Well, usually. Sometimes even the laws of physics are not what they look like.
And special laws of physics apply on April 1st so use the contents of this paper on the differences between angular and linear motion carefully. Not every judge is going to be impressed but this was in California, so he was probably happy to have someone besides an environmental activist in court.
Using his knowledge of physics, Dmitri Krioukov from UC San Diego was able to show that a number of coincidental events led to a police officer having a perception of reality that was not actually reality - basically, an officer who saw him roll through a stop sign in his Toyota made a mistake.
What were the combined events that led to the distortion of reality? The officer was measuring the linear but not angular speed of his car, the car decelerated and then accelerated relatively fast and finally, that another momentarily blocked the officer's view.
Bring on the graphs!
The officer's perception of the angular speed was caused by the partial obstruction, "remarkably similar to the curve showing the angular speed of a hypothetical object moving at constant speed v0 = 8 m/s ≈ 18 mph."
Did he really save $400 in court using this paper? Krioukov told Physics Central he did. If you believe that, you'll believe I can use math to show you how to get to all of the good hookers before Charlie Sheen - and we know that just isn't possible.
Citation: Dmitri Krioukov, 'The Proof of Innocence', http://arxiv.org/pdf/1204.0162v1.pdf
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- Is The X(5568) A True Resonance ?
- How We Predict Climate For Decades - Yet Can't Forecast Weather For Ten Days - Chaos Patterned With Order
- Should Pregnant Women Be Concerned About BPA?
- The Five Stages Of A Dying Theory
- Baby Boomers Unbound: Marijuana Surges In The Elderly
- Chess is Smart and Sexy! The Mysterious Psychology of Chess Intelligence 1/3
- Why Science is Worth Studying.
- "Dawn, no there is nothing to be worried about at all. No need to warn anyone. It's just made up..."
- "So do i need to be worried or not do i need to warn anybody or not like tell my family and friends..."
- "Dawn, sorry to hear that you are freaking out about this. I've written up my answer to you as Debunked..."
- "aargh! I forgot you mentioned this promotion....let's see! Thanks...."
- "Hi,I know, the price is steep - not my choice unfortunately, WS has this kind of policy... But..."
- CSPI Demands US Government Put A Cancer Warning Label On...Bacon
- Opioid Malfeasance At The CDC- Guess Who Is Getting Hurt?
- Dreading a Colonoscopy? There is More Than One Way to Save Your Behind
- Junk Science, Voodoo Medicine, And A List We're Glad Not To Be On
- At High Altitude with Buzz Aldrin
- Hand Sanitizer Can Cause a False Positive Breathalyzer Test