Ahhhh, Valentine's Day. Bad food, shoddy restaurant service - and you have no choice about it. The Soviet Union had toilet paper lines but they didn't force Valentine's Day on its people. Really, anyone who is unsure what mandates accomplish only needs to look at ethanol for a modern comparison of why things suffer when you force a solution on people.
But all is not lost. There's science in love, you know, and that means there's science in Valentine's Day. Science on Valentine's Day is like cold fusion instead of ethanol. Completely wonderful. And we have it all right here.
Not sure who to date? Garth Sundem answers it in The Valentine's Day Man-O-Meter. Be sure to take it as gospel because he never just makes stuff up.
If you're still unsure who to pursue, you may be looking in the wrong places. This study says We Want To Date People Slightly More Attractive Than We Are. How, then, does anyone get a date? It's another mystery of love.
Susan Kuchinskas examines the neurochemistry of love in Love And Mom's Spaghetti Sauce - you tend to prefer what you grew up with. This is why I send back gravy that has no lumps.
To some people, it's not just about romance, it's also about chocolate and gifts. If you're the chocolate type, Science Mom provides the Top Ten Scientific Reasons why Chocolate is the World’s Most Perfect Food. Really, some of those reasons should count twice.
The neurochemistry behind romance lays out the chemical and part of the psychological issues involved in that love stuff. My advice? Keep an "Enigma" CD handy just in case.
If you're the stargazing kind, check out Stellar Occultation: Stargazing That's More Than Just Romance. If you're more biologically inclined, you know that To Cycads, Romance Is Hot And Smelly.
I wouldn't spend a lot of time talking to your date about the neurochemistry of kissing, but who I am to judge? You may get away with it if she is the strong, assertive type because feminists are more romantic.
But even if she's not the type to put up with your garbage, you may still be okay because Even Female Chimps Love The Bad Boys.
If you're a man, and sick of losing to the bad boys, take heart; here are the Top 10 Reasons Relationships With Robots Will Be Better For Men.
Even if you can't find your soulmate this Valentine's Day, there's always junk food. This study says we have Another Reason To Love Big Macs - They Stabilize Gold Nanoparticles.
Just don't take her to McDonald's and say it's a science experiment. I can tell you how that one will turn out.
- PHYSICAL SCIENCES
- EARTH SCIENCES
- LIFE SCIENCES
- SOCIAL SCIENCES
Subscribe to the newsletter
Stay in touch with the scientific world!
Know Science And Want To Write?
- A Dimuon Particle At 30 GeV In ALEPH ??
- President Obama, Why Humans On Mars Right Now Are Bad For Science
- EPA Again Delays Report On Safety Of Glyphosate
- IPhone Lab Detects Cancer, May Lead To Instant Diagnosis
- Nitrate-Reducing Microbes Linked To Migraine Headaches
- Following Speech In Background Noise - The Problem May Not Be Your Ears
- Physics Outreach With Music
- "Even a such a numbskull as myself, I thought this from the beginning of the idea. If land is too..."
- "That brings a big smile to my face!..."
- "This sounds very much like the boy-crying-wolf story. If the members of the Aleph experiment have..."
- "they are just closet sadists. So now ur a troll as well then :| Fantastic...."
- "i'm wondering if WikiLeaks can provide some or all e-mails from and to the EPA on the glysophate..."
- Dr. Jamie Wells Named One Of America's Top Pediatricians
- Why Did EPA Delay Its Glyphosate Safety Report?
- Scientists Should Fight Postmodern Public Values
- Stupid Health Scare For Hep C Drugs
- Our Lack of Awareness about Food Consumption & Waste
- 'Reasonable' Is The New Black - Finally!